LCVG

You PC upgrading habits!

Sam P

The biggest difference between being a PC gamer and a console gamer is that you're always worrying about system requirements and making games look their best.

Which means plenty of money, plenty of patience and plenty of upgrades.

What are your upgrading habits like?

Are you the type who must have the latest and greatest? Your PC is constantly in a state of flux, with the latest and fastest hardware. You don't mind spending the big bucks to get all games running at max audio and visual quality. Is your name Romier :lol: ?

Or do you only upgrade whenever it's needed? Just enough to get your machine to run a new game. I suppose the most frequently and easiest to alter are the RAM and Video Card. They give your PC just a tad more gaming life. I surely fall into this category, carrying upgrades maybe in six month intervals or longer.

Or do you not upgrade at all, resorting to buying completely new PCs when the time comes?

Share your habits!!

I rarely upgrade anything, though this will change in 2004. More ram, bigger hard disc, new graphics card wanted. Probably easier to build a new PC from scratch which I may do, but I don't think my desires call for anything that drastic. We'll see...

A friend of mine in Ohio wants me to MP3 my entire film score collection for him to a hard disc, so he's sending one all the way across the Atlantic to me, and as payment for my troubles, he's actually sending me two! The second one for me too keep, which is a nice start to my upgrade plans.

Daniel

A friend of mine in Ohio wants me to MP3 my entire film score collection for him to a hard disc, so he's sending one all the way across the Atlantic to me, and as payment for my troubles, he's actually sending me two! The second one for me too keep, which is a nice start to my upgrade plans.

Uh, how big is this collection exactly?

I used to be a major upgrade whore. It was very unusual for me to go longer than about three months without my buying something (video card, hard drive, memory, CPU) new.

But, since I went unemployed for about 9 months last year combined with an increase in my console gaming, I got out of the habit. I expect I'll be holding off on upgrades until HL2 and D3 come out, and at that time I'll buy the best available of everything and see how far that gets me.

Except for a new HD or more memory when needed I tend to buy a whole new PC and keep it for 2.5-3 years then build an entire new one consisting of whatever the best parts are at the time. I'm due for a new one and am waiting for half life 2 to come out before I buy.

I tend to buy a whole new PC and keep it for 2.5-3 years then build an entire new one consisting of whatever the best parts are at the time. I'm due for a new one and am waiting for half life 2 to come out before I buy.

Sounds like me. My computer tends to morph over the years as I make random upgrades, and of course the best pieces will be salvaged for the next machine getting built. My next up-coming changes will be dictated by up coming game releases, Half Life and B.F. Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to milk my system for all it is worth, only upgrading when financially sound or recreationally necessary. When I've gotten everthing out of my system I start saving for a new one. Last November I decided to build my own which gives me many more upgrade opportunities versus a prebuilt Dell or HP.