Hardware Unit Sales

PlayStation 2 496K

PlayStation 3 466K

PSP 567K

Xbox 360 770K

Wii 981K

Nintendo DS 1.53 million

November 2007 Top 10 Video Games Rank # Units

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 1 1.57 million

WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY NINTENDO OF AMERICA NOV 2007 EVERYONE (E) 2 1.12 million

360 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 3 980K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 4 967K

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 5 564K

360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 7 444K

WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION (CORP) OCT 2007 TEEN (T) 8 426K

360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K

PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED UBISOFT NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 10 377K

More software:

360 Rockband 312k

PS3 Rockband 70k

U.S. Video Games Market - November 2007

Dollar Sales November 2006 November 2007

Video Games $1.74 billion $2.63 billion 52%

Video Games Hardware $772 million $1.1 billion 41%

Console Hardware $519 million $771 million 49%

Portable Game Hardware $253 million $319 million 26%

Video Games Software $804 million $1.3 billion 62%

Console Software $617 million $1.1 billion 75%

Portable Game Software $187 million $218 million 16%

Video Game Accessories $160 million $243 million 52%

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the lack of Guitar Hero III for Xbox 360 and PS3 had anything to do with the coming launch of Rock Band. Awesome numbers for Mass Effect, it was only out for two weeks.

2 million copies of COD4 on consoles, wow. Go Infinity Ward. Assassins Creed's reviews don't look to have harmed it at all.

Some other numbers which have popped up on a few boards

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (Wii) - 330k

Rock Band (360) - 312k

Wireless Controller (PS3) - 282k

Wii Zapper incl. Crossbow Training (Wii) - 232k

Lego Star Wars (Wii)- 180k

High School Musical (Wii) - 180k

Resident Evil UC (Wii) - 130k

Uncharted (PS3) - 117k

Crysis (PC) - 86,6k

Rock Band (PS3) - 70k

Zack & Wiki (Wii) - 35k

Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) - 34k

Manhunt 2 (Wii) - 18.5k

I wonder if the lack of Guitar Hero III for Xbox 360 and PS3 had anything to do with the coming launch of Rock Band.

I know the 360 version of GH III is near impossible to find (the one with the Les Paul packed in). Seems like Activision is really hurting themselves by not having enough units out there to meet demand.

Could this be the generation that videogames go mainstream. Yeah yeah, people will say they are already mainstream. On thanksgiving I had my older brother and sister playing Bomberman on my 360. I could almost see my sister playing videogames on her own after watching her. Perhaps next-generation gaming will be far less geeky.

I know the 360 version of GH III is near impossible to find (the one with the Les Paul packed in). Seems like Activision is really hurting themselves by not having enough units out there to meet demand.

I think stock is hurting on all systems except PS2 and PC right now. I know Wii, PS3 and 360 has been scarce in these parts for weeks. I'm actually surprised at how many the Wii version has sold since it's been hard to find since launch almost.

Good thing there's stacks and stacks of GH2 to go around (at least there was last time I was out... maybe not so much anymore, it has been awhile).

Those hardware numbers are astonishing, especially for Nintento.

Those Wii numbers prove that Nintendo is full of shit when it comes to not meeting demand. Every month they sold every unit they shipped, roughly 500k and they said that was all they could make, then they sell nearly a million in November. I now firmly believe Nintendo is holding back stock to keep the Wii name where it is today.

Kudos to MS and Sony for also being able to move so much hardware.

-Dean-

The software totals including the Top Ten and CaptDS9E's numbers:

• Xbox 360 - 4.034 Million Units
  • Wii - 3.567 million units
  • Sony Family of Game Systems - 2.045 million units

While the Xbox 360 is still the console software king, people are buying games for their Wii in large numbers. I am sure if DS software numbers were available, Nintendo would top both hardware and software lists.

Those Wii numbers prove that Nintendo is full of shit when it comes to not meeting demand.

You just realized that Nintendo is controlling the supply chain now?;) Of course they are and it's worked out beautifully for them as they've been able to maintain HUGE buzz on the Wii. Do I think they are holding back units for the holiday season? I don't believe they are doing it at quite the level some people seem to think they are, they are simply ramping up.

I dunno, in the "lull" months before November I was seeing posts everywhere about "oh I don't know why you think the Wii is hard to find, I always see some when I go in [random store] in [bumfuck town]". It is possible that demand has increased during the holidays in such a way that those units have started moving (either due to an increase in actual purchasers in that area, or people buying them to resell online due to the increased profit available), when they weren't moving as well during previous months, which could account for some of the increase. There's also the possibility that Nintendo realized there's going to be increased demand during the holiday season and was able to schedule an increase in production capability to coincide with it.

There's also the possibility that Nintendo realized there's going to be increased demand during the holiday season and was able to schedule an increase in production capability to coincide with it.

There is no "possibility" when it comes to Nintendo. They are executing a plan -and they are re-writing the books on how to feed demand to keep a product hot. This is genius marketing taking control of the supply chain.

Nintendo controls how many Wii's go to which retailer at exactly what rate. That rate is the key. They know exactly the rate at which they need to keep the Wii available but just shy of being unattainable. Clearly, that rate has fluctuated over time. Understanding these rates is not at all new; Nintendo's twist has been mastering the fine line between impossible to find and easy availability.

Not confident in my "Wii sucks because software doesn't sell near as well as the 360" argument anymore. Wholly crap Nintendo is selling a shit ton of software. My only argument left is that for we, the hobbyists, the Wii is still not a better bang for your buck investment than the Gamecube given its price and software libray now and to come. Mario and Metroid aside, its a system for babies and elderly. Ironically I may buy it because of that in the next year.

My only argument left is that for we, the hobbyists, the Wii is still not a better bang for your buck investment than the Gamecube given its price and software libray now and to come. Mario and Metroid aside, its a system for babies and elderly. Ironically I may buy it because of that in the next year.

I may play a lot of online 360 to kill time, but our household still has twice as many Wii games as 360 games, and I'd play all of 'em if I had the time.

There's plenty of excellent Wii games out there that aren't baby crib and retirement specifically designed.

Bang for buck value vs the Gamecube, well, that depends on how much a Gamecube is costing you these days. If you mean the classic retail price of $100 vs $250, no way. If you mean the secondhand $30-$40 market, well, maybe.

BTW: it seems obvious that retailers were saving up Wiis for Black Friday. But I don't know that you can blame Nintendo for that.

Nintendo is back baby! Nothing is going to touch the Wii or DS this generation. Now I get why they called it the "Wii", that console is hung like a bear in the sales dept. Maybe the next one will be called "Long Monkey Dong" or something similar?

1.53 million DSs in one month?!? Holy F'n Cow!

Don't worry, somebody will find a way to spin this all back into the "Nintendo is teh d00med!" storyline soon enough. ;)

The real question is how much longer can Nintendo's success last? By and large, the Wii and the DS are pretty gimmicky systems that don't appeal to the lucrative hard core gamer demographic. Sure, the Big N may be selling a lot of systems to Pa and Ma Kettle now, but once they get over the gimmick, I expect to see sales of both systems plunge into the preverbial abyss.

Quite frankly, I feel a bit sorry for Nintendo. In a couple years, it will have nothing left to show for its "Blue Ocean" strategy except a mountain of unsold hardware. Meanwhile, the PS3 and 360 will continue to sell like crazy, since the hard core crowd will continue to gobble up anything MS and Sony make. It's only a matter of time before people figure out the advantages to having superior hardware and switch over to the "real" video game systems.

Perhaps Nintendo can find a niche for itself as a third-party developer, but another run in the next console cycle will definitely be out of the question once the inevitible crash comes. After all, it has all these great franchises that are still popular. I'm sure Sony and MS would be willing to give Nintendo the opportunity to make games for them. In a worst case scenario, I'm sure Shigeru Miyamoto would be able to find a job at another company if Nintendo has to shut down for good. I mean, he is the man behind Mario and Zelda. I'm sure someone would be willing to take him on as a programmer or tester something.

How's that?