LCVG

Nintendo's Wii "Rain checks"

Josh

Why not just put in an order with an online merchant like Amazon? The time frame for actual delivery is probably about the same and there's no charge until the unit is actually shipped.

The only reason to go to a Gamestop-type store is to get the console now. If you're not going to get it until a month later, why not just order it online?

Wow, I can just imagine trying to pull this off on your kid this christmas- "Merry Christmas-here's a piece of paper!"

Seriously, I can understand this last year, but there's been a whole year to find a console now. If I knew I needed to get one for this Christmas, I would have started looking in June (or at the very latest, September).

Wow, I can just imagine trying to pull this off on your kid this christmas- "Merry Christmas-here's a piece of paper!"

Amusingly enough, that's what I got from my folks in lieu of a physical Wii last Christmas. Of course, I'm not a kid, so it was good enough for me. I found one at Target a couple of days after Christmas anyhow, so it wasn't like I had to wait a long time.

That would not go over well with my 7-year old son and 3-year old daughter. The joy of watching children tear open presents is what Christmas is all about. Envelopes and gift cards do not get the same reaction for children this age.

I got GRAW and a piece of paper the year the xbox360 came out... worked for me... (especially since i found one by new year's)...

Sure, but to Zyzomys' point, you're not an 8 year-old. They don't do well with that patience thing.

This will be an interesting thing to go down. The other question is, and I didn't have time to ask Mr. Fils-Amie, is whether or not this will dry up January stock for the "regular folks" or if they'll double-down production.

I think, for the 8 year olds, they should give out empty retail boxes with the rain checks so the parent can fill it with underwear, socks, and other exciting things, wrap it, put it under the tree, and then film the moment when the child unwraps the gift. The holidays were made for such Hallmark moments...

:lol ... that has YouTube written all over it.

One of these, Chris? Had never heard of it personally.

ebkit-front-thumb.jpg

Someone at work asked why Nintendo cares about a preorder campaign vs regular GameStop $10 preorders. This lets them get the cash, preventing their rivals from getting a sale, and lets them release over the top numbers for December.

More than anything else this is just part of the Nintendo PR campaign. The plan is to continue reminding the public that the Wii must be the best product ever because it's difficult to find. Keep that front of mind and and the Wii trend will continue.

The interesting thing to me is watching how friggin' long Nintendo can keep this gig going.

The interesting thing to me is watching how friggin' long Nintendo can keep this gig going.

I think the 3rd parties for the most part are getting tired of it already, I bet its probably 7 out of 10 or higher Wii buyers never buy another game. I know four people around here who own a Wii and only one of them has another game, Legend of Zelda.

I think the 3rd parties for the most part are getting tired of it already, I bet its probably 7 out of 10 or higher Wii buyers never buy another game. I know four people around here who own a Wii and only one of them has another game, Legend of Zelda.

Off the record, one of the reporters on the conference call today asked about this -- that third-party developers were bitching about Nintendo messing up on the attach-rate front. Reggie poo-poo'd the notion and basically said they should be happy they had anything to do with "the best-selling console in history".

It wasn't a pleasant moment in the conference call.

that third-party developers were bitching about Nintendo messing up on the attach-rate front.

While I can certainly see this as a problem for third party developers, how is this Nintendo's fault? The console numbers are there and I think it is up to the individual companies to develop a game that attracts this demographic. I do not even own a Wii but that seems obvious to me.

3rd parties aren't the only ones pissed about the crappy Wii attach rates. Retailers are none too happy.

I can tell you that multiple retailers are seriously considering going the Sams or Costco route when it comes to Nintendo hardware. That is, packaging it all up in a plastic holder and only selling it as a bundle. I know of 3 retailers who came very close to pulling the trigger on that this holiday season in their brick & mortar stores. They backed off more to appease Nintendo than for concern for customer reaction.

While I can certainly see this as a problem for third party developers, how is this Nintendo's fault? The console numbers are there and I think it is up to the individual companies to develop a game that attracts this demographic. I do not even own a Wii but that seems obvious to me.

Well, I'm not sure. You could argue that it is Nintendo's fault for including such a great game with the Wii in Wii Sports. I know several people who only have that.

Also, a lot of the third-party software sucks, and people may be shy from being burnt by crappy games. Nintendo's fault? Entirely plausible - their third-party software approval process is wiiiiiide open compared to Microsoft's and Sony's.

There are many factors, but those two certainly contribute to it and Nintendo does have a role in those.

How is Nintendo's development support? Do they provide good support and tools?

Considering it's essentially the same hardware they have been pushing for 7 years now I would guess the tools are pretty mature.

I put the blame on the 3rd parties. They are releasing absolute shit at a phenomenal rate on the Wii. They are all to blame. Nintendo is still Nintendo in terms of software support. They will release 2 or 3 AAA titles per year and 5 or 6 duds which still sell well.

Considering it's essentially the same hardware they have been pushing for 7 years now I would guess the tools are pretty mature.

I put the blame on the 3rd parties. They are releasing absolute shit at a phenomenal rate on the Wii. They are all to blame. Nintendo is still Nintendo in terms of software support. They will release 2 or 3 AAA titles per year and 5 or 6 duds which still sell well.

I agree.

I got Monkey Ball for the Wii. It sucked, both design and control-wise, compared to the phenomenal Monkey Balls on the GC. Sonic & Secret Rings? OK at best. Etc.

Also seeing a lot of slapdash PS2 ports or dual-platform 360/PS3/PS2/Wii type ports. Not gonna cut it.

I'm always on the lookout for unique games. If they bring them we will get them.