LCVG

Duke Nukem ForNEVER - 3D Realms Closes its doors

kelley

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that trailer says to me is "Despite all this time, it's still just another video game, and it's still just Duke Nukem." Not that I expected much, but I thought maybe, given all the time, they'd have something cool to show. I mean, I think I saw something more impressive back when it was Quake 2 engine. From that teaser, though, it looks so... generic.

But what if the game is more fun than Crisis? Not that Crisis sold. But you get my point, does a game that is better than Crisis deserve the level of attitude this game is getting because of its development history? Now, if people are saying that the development history is proof that the game is not going to be as good as the competition FPS PC games out there, then that is a fair statement. At this point we're all guessing as to the quality of this title anyway.

People want this game to be bad. It would be uninteresting if the game was actually good. It would be far more interesting if the game is either bad, or the best game ever. I'm guessing it will be neither.

Fun Duke Nukem Forever facts; since it was announced:

The two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity were proposed, authorized,

announced, designed, launched and successfully landed upon Mars where they

have been exploring the surface for over 2.5 years.

When Duke Nukem Forever was announced, the fastest processor available to consumers was a 233Mhz Pentium. Since then the clock speed of consumer

processors has increased over 16 times (32 times counting dual cores), and the fabrication process has decreased from 250nm to 65nm.

Tier One developed, built, tested, and launched SpaceShipOne - winning the Ansari X-Prize for being the first non-government organization to launch a reusable manned spacecraft into space twice within two weeks.

from http://robert.accettura.com/archives/2006/06/16/waiting-for-duke-nukem-forever/

• 1 month later...

Duke Nukem Forever in 2008

Duke Forever is coming to the 360/PS3 as well most likely. AND the original is coming to XBLA this year:

The original 1996 Duke Nukem will also be arriving on Xbox Live Arcade, according to the report. The game will feature online multiplayer, Achievements, scoreboards and a co-op mode.

All on my radar. Much more excited for Duke than I was for Doom. Duke was so much better, at least, as I remember it. I'd even be interested in playing multiplayer since games today still don't have close to as fun weapons as Duke did.

The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away (From 3D Realms.com):

I'd like to address the article the Dallas Business Journal put up today. In what appears to be an unfortunate turn of events, there seems to have been some confusion between what was 'off the record' and what was not. I suppose we're used to dealing with gaming press and not mainstream press. Lesson learned.

While we have internal targets, dates and goals, like every developer, we are not ready to share them. What's amazing about this is that the DBJ must have assumed that we'd actually announce a date to them, and not gaming press, and that even in the light of Scott's quote of "We can't make an official announcement.", the DBJ effectively did that. Lesson learned.

The release date is still 'when it's done', and will be until the appropriate moment. Platforms have not been finalized or announced. You can rest assured that we are moving toward a goal and that the recently released teaser trailer is the start of that process and seeing more of the game, sooner than later.

We apologize to gamers and websites everywhere for this series of events. Sometimes, you can be too trusting of people and assume things that come back to bite you. Lesson learned.

The original 1996 Duke Nukem will also be arriving on Xbox Live Arcade, according to the report. The game will feature online multiplayer, Achievements, scoreboards and a co-op mode.

Given the 1996 date, I assume they mean the original Duke Nukem 3D...

I've been expecting Duke3D to be released on Live. Glad that it looks like it's happening. I've been wanting to play it online since it came out in 1996. It never worked very well on Kali.

The multiplayer in Duke is still some of the most fun I've had in an FPS with the shrink ray, pipe bombs, cameras, Holographic Duke and the awesome power of it's shotgun.

Didn't the shotgun take 2 point blank blasts to kill someone? I only ever played modded multiplayer Duke3D with doubled weapon damage because of that (the pistol also took 7 - 8 hits to kill, if I remember right). I hope default Duke3D doesn't annoy me too much.