LCVG

Valkyria Chronicles / Valkyrie of the Battlefield - PS3

Romier S

I could have sworn there was a thread for this game but I can't seem to find it. Regardless this is Sega's new Strategy RPG hitting the Playstation 3 sometime next year. It looks beautiful visually and I'm certainly interested to see what they bring to the SRPG table. Take a look:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29092.html

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I finally got a chance to play the UK demo of this and I'm really impressed. At its core, it could be a PS2 games; it's a straightforward turn based strategy game, though it's not tile or hex based, it's a free-form map in the modern war game style. The art style matches the early videos; stylish and arty.

I really liked the setting and gameplay of this, it feels good. Gah, I don't need more games to buy and sit on the shelf!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally found some time to really dive into Chronicles yesterday and ending up playing up to Chapter 5 of the story. The game is just amazingly good. It's absolutely dripping with style. The art direction is fantastic, the music is suprisingly good and the gameplay is deep, yet completely accessible. I love the way the story progresses in a sort of story book/comic book style panel way. I love that the game allows you to replay missions and view cutscenes again at your leisure. I love that Sega actually shelled out for some good english voice acting. I love the "real time" strategy gameplay and bevy of options available to complete a mission.

In the end, I just love it.

Just finished the game, loved it. Took the visual flair of Advance wars, threw in some Operation Darkness magic, and mixed it all into a nice turn-based squad tactics game.

Like Advance Wars though, the orders can be too easy to abuse, allowing you to just breeze though otherwise difficult missions (like giving a scout Demo Boost and having them kill an enemy heavy tank with one rifle volley ;)).

Any word if later DLC would be supported? I would pay for another campaign with increased difficulty.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I finally got around to opening this up & playing it last night. I should have done it sooner; not too far in, but really enjoying it so far. Anyone got some tips on what to upgrade or does it not matter too much?

And amazingly, for an anime style game, it didn't piss off my wife & she started to get pulled into the story pretty quickly. This is a Good Thing.

I think I'm only on chapter 7 so far, but I keep waiting to be able to upgrade the damn sniper rifles. I swear those snipers can't hit the broad side of a barn!

I'm not really sure that it matters much, at least not early on. I want to say that I've done most of the upgrades that are available to me at this point without having to pick and choose. Doesn't seem like there is a shortage of opportunities to upgrade.

Then again I'm not a whole lot further in that you probably are at this point. :runaway

I'm totally stuck on this Desert level, I've gone through it a bunch of times. Still enjoying the heck out of it, though.

Played it all the way through a while back.

Let's see if I can remember the upgrades. Mostly they will automatically give you the best weapons after certain missions, by the end of the game that's pretty much all you use. I can't remember the names, but the princess (queen?) will give them to you during audiences. Otherwise, however you use the chars will dictate what is best for your squad, you'll eventually be able to buy most everything. I usually played to their strengths: give the lancers more firepower vs. vehicles, SMGs more damage up close, always get better armor for troops/tanks first, improve the tanks firepower/precision/armor. The scout's improved grenade ability is a huge boon, get that as soon as you can (it is a beast vs. personnel.)

What a great game, wish I had a PSP to play the sequel coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...