LCVG

Sony to say good bye to Rear Projection? Focus on Bravia LCDs instead

kelley

According to Engadget Sony is dropping their RPTV lines, and what is currently on the market is it.

Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:01 PM

To: [redacted]

Subject: FW: Sony #-LCD and SXRD Announcment

To All-

I've spoken to some of you regarding Sony's announcement yesterday re: the discontinuation of all MDPJ sets including E-series 3-LCD, A and XBR-series SXRD. Here's an unofficial statement from our internal news:

Sony to Stop MDPJ Production

Dec. 17 - Due to the high consumer demand for BRAVIA flat-panel LCD televisions combined with the accelerating industry trend toward flat-panel displays, Sony Electronics will discontinue producing rear-projection televisions based on 3LCD and Silicon X-tal Reflective Display technologies.

- All backorders for KDSZ70XBR5 are now cancelled as this set will not be produced.

- We do expect to fill existing backorders for KDF46E3000 and KDS60A3000 – if you need either of these models, LAST CHANCE, ORDER NOW and we will do our best to fill your orders – no promises!!!

They will join Toshiba, Philips, and Hitachi here in the US, and I believe that over in Europe they've already stopped selling RPTVs.

I shall shed a tear over this news tonight when I'm watching Harry Potter in 1080p on my 60" XBR2 using the fantastic SXRD display technology.

Link to Story

The nail in the coffin was "it doesn't sit on a wall". People want this. There are those of us that say "I don't understand why people want a huge hulking beast of an eyesore in the middle of the room". The increase in soundstage depth on my audio is not to be understated.

This doesn't mean I don't think the SXRD displays were gorgeous. Thin is just in. That's the way it goes.

This doesn't mean I don't think the SXRD displays were gorgeous. Thin is just in. That's the way it goes.

And that's a fucking shame in my book. People can have their TVs "on-the-wall" since that's all that matters for them, but it's sad that I cannot get the cheaper, better looking set at the expense of a few inches of volume any more. My next TV would have likely been a Sony XBR of some sort (if I am not in a space where I can go projector) but no more. I have zero interest in LCD.

And that's a fucking shame in my book. People can have their TVs "on-the-wall" since that's all that matters for them, but it's sad that I cannot get the cheaper, better looking set at the expense of a few inches of volume any more. My next TV would have likely been a Sony XBR of some sort (if I am not in a space where I can go projector) but no more. I have zero interest in LCD.

A shame indeed. It's not even like the XBR is very deep, like the old box-style RPTV's. :td

The way I see it is my subwoofer, speakers and equipment rack are going to stick out about the same distance from my wall as my rear projection tv does so having a wall mounted tv wouldn't do much for me. I agree its a shame to see RPTV's becoming extinct. Try getting a 60" 1080p LCD or plasma for the $2400 I paid for my 60A3000 (and they can be had for less than 2grand now as MrJames noted). You have to spend 2 to 3 times that to get a decent "thin" set. I suspected this would be Sonys last batch of RPTV's and that was another reason why I bought when I did. I couldn't be happier with my tv. I hope it lasts a long time.

You have to spend 2 to 3 times that to get a decent "thin" set.

I disagree with that. In fact I spent 1/2 of that and got a decent 50" Panasonic Plasma. RPTV's still represent the best bang for the buck but they aren't selling nearly as well as a thin tv. The market is dictating what these manufacturers do.

The psychology of this is interesting. I have a 56 inch 1080p RPTV. My father has watched sporting events on it several times. He never really commented on the TV. Even though at home he has a 25 inch CRT SDTV. When he saw my brother's brand new 50 inch LCD TV, his jaw dropped and he instantly said "Wow that's beautiful."

Now, in my estimation, the picture quality of what he was looking at was not that great. It was really the TV itself and not the picture quality that excited him I think. I think this is true of your average person.

Hey, we have our front projectors and in a few years, the LCD/Plasma will be up to snuff in quality anyway.

The psychology of this is interesting. I have a 56 inch 1080p RPTV. My father has watched sporting events on it several times. He never really commented on the TV. Even though at home he has a 25 inch CRT SDTV. When he saw my brother's brand new 50 inch LCD TV, his jaw dropped and he instantly said "Wow that's beautiful."

I think it's the brightness of LCDs that people are stoked on. From a contrast standpoint they're not great, but they sure stick out on a showroom floor.

I think it's the brightness of LCDs that people are stoked on. From a contrast standpoint they're not great, but they sure stick out on a showroom floor.

Not just a showroom floor -- in most people's homes, too. Ambient light control is something a lot of us can (and are willing to) do, but for a lot of people I imagine an LCD is bright enough for the existing conditions.

I guess while most people see the brightness, all I can see are the goddamn grey-blacks.

A man after my own heart. My exact reason for not being a big fan of LCD tech. I've only seen one or two brands of LCD that have provided the type of quality shadow detail/black level that I want from a display. Certain models in the Sharp Aquos line and the high end Bravia displays to be exact. Some of the higher up 1080p Westinghouses also do a good job of it as well.

I'm REALLY happy with my DLP purchase and Sony's SXRD line was at the top of my list when I looked into buying so its disappointing to see the line killed. Plasma displays are definitely moving up in my estimation now. I think a quality 1080p plasma may end up in my back room (with a stand cause I'm sorry I'm not a wall mounting type of guy).

I disagree with that. In fact I spent 1/2 of that and got a decent 50" Panasonic Plasma.

I paid about $2600 for my XBR2 in May, its 60" and looking at Best Buy to get a 60" LCD/Plasma 1080p TV I'd need to drop $5,000 right now, which is almost double what I paid in May.

What kelley said. When I said you have to pay 2-3times as much to get a decent thin set I meant a set comparible to mine feature/size wise. I remember recently flipping through a One Call add and I'm pretty sure I didn't see any 1080p 60" LCD's or Plasmas for anything under 4k. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Not just a showroom floor -- in most people's homes, too. Ambient light control is something a lot of us can (and are willing to) do, but for a lot of people I imagine an LCD is bright enough for the existing conditions.

See, I actually think that my SXRD works really well in a (fairly) bright room-actually better than most TVs out there at the time.

I honestly thought that the LCoS tech would go further than this, but I suppose if people are looking for something that wall mounts over something with a great picture, then you go where the money is.

Actually, this brings up another question-how long do the bulbs in RPTVs like this tend to last? I've had my SXRD for 2 years now, which means that I might need a replacement sometime in the future-I've heard that 3 or 4 years is pretty typical.