LCVG

Tattoos. Whose got one and why?

Bruce B

So call it a mid life crisis if you will, but I was thinking about getting a tattoo. Nothing very large or extravagant.

I'm probably too old to be thinking about one, but fuck it, I dont act my age anyway.

So who has one? Why did you get it? What is it?

Also any good sites for ideas for tattoos? I really dont know what I want. This may be all lip service and I may chicken out but we'll see.

I got a couple. I have a Steal Your Face with Jerry Garcia's face inside instead of the lighting bolt. His face essentially looks like space with planets and stars. I got it because Jerry's music always takes me to a great place during good and bad times. It is on my left calf. I got it about 12 years ago. I had it recolored a few years ago and the artist who recolored it added to it, thickened the lines and made it look even better than it already was.

My other one is a Celtic tattoo with a dragon head. I am not Irish, I just love Celtic designs. It wraps all away around my right wrist. I got it because I wanted it. :)

I plan on getting a new one this year on my upper left arm. I basically want a Traditional Japanese design that is original. I'll probably get it done by Roy Boy's Ex-Wife (his 3rd one I believe :) )

I personally love tattoos and wish I had more of them. The ones I want thought are a lot of coin. I find them to be a very under appreciated art form.

-Dean-

For great ideas, I highly recommend watching the Various "Ink" shows on TLC. There is Miami Ink, LA Ink, and London Ink. You get a good variety of designs and you get to see some of the best artists at work as well. I believe a lot of the work is posted on the their respective web sites as well.

I am not sure if Chris Garver is working out of NYC again or not. I plan on one day getting an original piece done by him someday. He is just a phenomenal artist period.

-Dean-

I have 2: 1 on each bicep. My left arm has a Yin and Yang because, for me it symbolizes balance in everything. My right arm has a Wolf Claw with a crescent moon - I loved the design of this one and for me, it symbolizes the year I was born and an affinity for nature. :)

Both of mine are simple designs and black only but still cost about $120 each. As far as places to get ideas - I"d start at DeviantArt or the Ink shows as Enema mentioned...

Only have a pic of the Wolf Claw off-hand but here it is.

tattoo4.jpg

I've pretty much made up my mind to get one.

I just need to finalize exactly what.

I assume in this day and age of needles and diseases that every tattoo jointhas to follow some pretty strict regulations correct?

I can't speak for sure, but when Jersey allowed tattoo parlors they are regulated. Not sure about elsewhere but they are looking at a lawsuit if that is not the case.

I've got one, Grim Reaper with a graveyard backdrop on my upper left arm. My father designed a family crest and had it put on his arm, he paid for my brother to get it too, he's offered to pay for it if I want one (actually keeps bugging me to get it) but so far I've resisted as I'm not that hot on the design.

I can't speak for sure, but when Jersey allowed tattoo parlors they are regulated. Not sure about elsewhere but they are looking at a lawsuit if that is not the case.

I think I got this backwards, Staten Island did not allow tattoo parlors till around the time I left. People went to Jersey for them.

Nice, nice.

Seriously, though -- nice ink there, sir. Enjoy it. I have never had the urge, but I have many friends who have tons of tattoos, and I've always been into them.

Just one warning though -- this is just the beginning!

I really dont think i will get any more. just my first step in going through my midlife crisis. Now I just have to get a mistress, and buy a corvette.

Right. "Just one more hit, then I'm done. Really."

"No, this is seriously the last receiver I will buy. This is all I need."

"Ahh, this TV is big enough."

"These speakers are great, and they'll just get better with time. Call it an investment for life."

"You won't ever need more thatn 128K anyway."

"I can't imagine graphics getting any better than this."

"Nah, this'll be my last tattoo."

:P