LCVG

Uneven burn on 32" Vizio LCD

Kyle M.

I've had my Vizio for about a year and a half now. Around four months ago I watched the seven seasons of BTVS on DVD in their OAR through the VGA connection. There were various movies and HD TV shows/sports mixed in. I noticed that I had "uneven burn" across the screen where the unused space on the panel was while watching Buffy. I had heard about LCD memory retention, so I've refrained from most 4x3 content and have even run just a solid white screen for 8+hrs at a time a couple of times but it hasn't seemed to help. There is also some unevenness in the middle of the screen that you can tell from the PS3 background. It's not just the background image as it shows on the TV when it goes to solid pictures during shows. Here is a short 8MB video clip showing what has happened, and a couple of pictures. The affected area is more pronounced on the left, but you can see it on the right side of the screen easily at 25seconds into the clip.

Am I pretty much screwed here?

xvid video link

viziolcdburn1.jpg

viziolcdburn2.jpg

*edit* added picture of a gray panel below...

I tried running it like that, but not nearly as many hours as the series is. I wasn't worried about burn being an LCD and all. Here is what the panel looks like displaying a gray screen. Could speakers by the TV have caused this? I seriously doubt it or else there would be more reports like this.

viziolcdburn3.jpg

I wasn't worried about burn being an LCD and all.

Despite the popular notion of burn-in not happening on LCDs, it does still happen, though to be honest, that doesn't look like it. Exile's suggestion maybe?

If you use LCDs with a computer, it's really easy to burn-in your desktop image (I've seen it happen at work on multi-monitor setups).

I wasn't worried about burn-in because I don't use it for a computer monitor. Even when watching 4x3 content I mix in some 16x9 content for good measure (plus the fact I love HDTV and movies.) I've got a computer hooked up to it to upconvert DVDs. I was going through my purchase log and it seems I've actually owned this set for just over a year and a half now.

I wonder if I contact Vizio if they will be of any help. Anyone ever dealt with them?

Despite the popular notion of burn-in not happening on LCDs, it does still happen, though to be honest, that doesn't look like it. Exile's suggestion maybe?

If you use LCDs with a computer, it's really easy to burn-in your desktop image (I've seen it happen at work on multi-monitor setups).

Yes. A lot of folks just say they don't burn in, but that's not true. Even LCDs can burn in if a static image is there long enough and consistently enough. The root cause is different but the effects are the basically the same. One of the AVSforum mods learned that the hard way with his HTPC LCD some years back.

I agree though, the gray screen doesn't look like burn-in at all. That looks like a different problem.

• 4 years later...