LCVG

Blade Runner - The High Definition Release

Bruce B

So got my copy of Bladerunner on Blu ray. Had never seen it before believe it or not. Hated it, I mean hated it. Stopped the movie after one hour. A disjointed piece of trash.

I'm sure I'll get shit for my opinion, but it just plain sucked.

It will be going up on the For Sale thread very very soon.

So got my copy of Bladerunner on Blu ray. Had never seen it before believe it or not. Hated it, I mean hated it. Stopped the movie after one hour. A disjointed piece of trash.

I'll buy it.

We all have our right to our opinion. We all have different tastes. That being said, I'm going to destroy you in Madden for that post.

Seriously what the fuck.

:)

While I can't say I hate it, I don't hold it in high regard either. You're not the only one.

I recently watched it and thought it was OK. Not a huge fan but it was interesting. I don't think you can really make a judgement on a movie before watching the whole thing. It's pretty rare I drop a movie partway through.

Except for Battlefield Earth. We watched the whole thing in the theater. My wife slept through the last hour or so - she says it was the only movie she's ever slept through. I'd love that couple hours of my life back :lol

I have to admit that I've never been a huge fan of Blade Runner either but I find that every time I watch it I get a little closer to loving it.

I don't know about love, but I can tell you that the last time I watched Blade Runner I was about 20 years old and was absolutely bored to death with it. I had heard so much about its brilliance from a friend of mine who adores the film that I borrowed his DVD copy and set out to watch Ridley's supposed masterpiece. I was anything but entertained. I found myself falling asleep through half of it and by the time the final credits had rolled I had to wonder what the big hoopla was about. I also felt, much like Bruce, that it was a disjointed mess of a film (I had watched the version with the Ford narration).

Having now revisited Blade Runner in HD, I can't say I felt the same about the experience. Mind you, I picked up the BD with the expressed intent of selling it off if I had a similiar reaction to the movie but I also wanted to give it another chance. My sensibilities have changed a great deal from when I was 20 years old afterall - so why not? The Final Cut is excellent but I can see why people have a difficult time with the film. The pacing can be deathly slow at times which is the films biggest weakness IMO. It attempts to be introspective but can be almost TOO introspective when you're wanting something more to be happening onscreen. Regardless, there is a certain poetry to the story if you will that I really enjoy. In the end it's actually a very simple story of life, death and what it means to be human but it works nicely when viewed through the eyes of a character like Roy Batty for instance. Speaking of which, Hauer's portrayal of Roy Batty is so multi-layered and captivating that I can't help but be fixed to the screen every time he appears.

So, I can't say that I *love* the film but having viewed all of the cuts available on the BD release it has definitely grown in my estimation. I appreciate the performances, the story and especially the imagination and visuals onscreen. I can't deny its place in cinematic history. Nevertheless, I'll take "Alien" as Ridley's masterpiece any day of the week and twice on Sunday.;)

IGN's Review of the standard definition set:

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Four-Disc Collector's Edition) Review

10 The Movie

The definitive version of Blade Runner finally comes home in a comprehensive DVD package.

9 The Video

A spectacular visual upgrade from previous DVD versions.

9 The Audio

New 5.1 discrete track jacks up the aural presentation.

10 The Extras

Hours and hours of material plus four versions of the film. Who can ask for more?

10 OVERALL

(out of 10 / not an average) See All Award Recipients

We had 4 people in the room when I stopped it and asked "Does anyone give a fuck if I shut this off right now"? The popular response was "Thank God", except for the person that was fast asleep.

Its probably my fault for being brainwashed by action films. Over last weekend watched Bourne Ultimatum, and the last Die Hard movie. I just kept waiting in Bladerunner for something of substance to happen. It didnt come.

By the way, I also hated Star Wars. Am I banned now?:D

The only other two movies that I can think of that I stopped halfway through were The Fifth Element, and Waterboy

I tried to watch it many, many times before buying the Blu-ray (pretty much blind since I still hadn't seen it :lol). It's a movie that has influenced other movies. And if you've seen every other movie besides the original, then of course it will suck. The first few times I tried to watch it, I tried to watch the "movie". After getting the Blu-ray, I let the movie watch me. Kinda like absorbing the movie. Much better experience

I just saw it for the first time recently and didn't care for it. I enjoyed the look of the film but found the story dull and shallow. When it ended I had a "is that it?" moment. Certainly high expectations played a role in my experience and I'll watch it again to give it another chance.

Despite the science fiction setting, Blade Runner is much more influenced by the noir classics of the 50s rather than the action style. That may be why it's so off-putting - it is slow, moody, introspective & heavy on atmosphere. I've been a fan of the film for years, but I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea. It doesn't help that it's been hyped up as this near-perfect movie in the last few years in the run up to the Final Cut, and it's clearly not perfection.

Still, like Citizen Kane & 2001, I think it's a film that people should watch at least once if they're interested at all in the history of film or film theory, though I'm not sure the Final Cut is where I'd start off as a noob. It's easy for me to dismiss the narration from the original release as I know the story so well, but I guess maybe that bored dull narration does help some people :)

I don't see myself buying the new release any time soon, but I'm happy I got to see a digital print of it in a fantastic theater environment and that people are watching it again. I remember having huge discussions with my friends when we watched it on video & again when I saw the old "director's cut" in the good old GFT. Good times.

It enhanced the story for me.

Oh, the hours I have spent arguing about the narration in Bladerunner. I think it's good for people who haven't seen the film, but for those of us who are tasteless cyberpunk whores who like boring things and have seen the movie several times, it's better seen without it.

I'd be curious to hear what people think of Dick's other cinematic adaptations, most recently A Scanner Darkly? Have we talked about it already? Am I paranoid? Are those aphids?!