LCVG

Star Ocean 4

exile

It wasn't universally liked, but I really really liked Star Ocean 3. I wasn't a fan of the battle system so much, but I loved the difficulty curve, art design, story, and the dub (which included a bunch of the Cowboy Bebop voice actors).

I never did quite finish it though. I got about 60 hours in and dropped it a while after our first kid was born. I really have to stop messing around with subquests and finish that sucker up.

Thanks for the heads-up. I set the trailer downloading via bittorrent.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I picked it up a few weeks ago due to a lack of any interesting games for me. Never played a Star Ocean game before and what makes 4 so good is that it's a prequel to all the others and so I don't need to know the storylines in order to understand this one.

I'm having a blast with it. I haven't had this much fun with a RPG since Final Fantasy 9. I'm glad I got it!

• 1 year later...

Started playing this last night, after picking it up on a whim. 2 hours in, mostly filled with long cutscenes with little actual exposition in them, which is apparently consistent with the rest of the game; Eurogamer suggests skipping the cutscene to read the text wrap-up instead! Combat is nice, very Tales of Vesperia, with freeform movement & action throughout, with a ton of options available, I suspect, for combos etc as you progress.

But boy, those cutscenes are poor quality - character models have no real facial movement causing them to look like plastic anime-inspired toys. The writing's atrocious too.