LCVG

Xbox Live messenger Kit...

Carlucci

I found myself needing a new headset....again. We've had worse luck with headsets than we have had with the xbox itself.

Usually, I try to find the LIVE starter kits that come bundled with the 1 year subscription and a headset, but I haven't noticed those in the stores lately.

A headset by itself is $18, but the messenger kit, including the blackberry-like keypad and a headset is $30, so I decided for $12 extra bucks it was worth a try. I especially wanted to try it out since my non-xbox friends are always trying to chat me up while I'm playing. I like being signed in to see their incoming messages, but I hated having to take extra time out to compose a short reply telling them I'm playing games at the moment.

The device is very lightweight and, for me, doesn't change the way I hold the controller at all. I keep it connected at all times because it don't find it obtrusive at all. The backlight works very well, and makes it easy to see what you're typing. I do wish the first press would serve only as a "wake" and activate the backlight. So, in the dark when you want to reply, you have to hit a key to activate the backlight, and it counts that input, so then you have to backspace to delete that entry.

The headset input from the keypad is not like the one on the controller. It only has the 1/8" plug. The headset included with the kit plugs into that controller, and the volume dial and mute switch are located in-line about 2/3 of the way up to the earpad. I find this just slightly more cumbersome when I want to mute myself quickly, but not so much that it's a problem. I think the sound quality of the headset is better than the previous bundled headsets.

So, I'm extremely glad I bought this. I can type replies really fast now.

Highly recommend. :tu

Carlos.

I do wish the first press would serve only as a "wake" and activate the backlight. So, in the dark when you want to reply, you have to hit a key to activate the backlight, and it counts that input, so then you have to backspace to delete that entry.

That bugged me also. Now, I just activate it with the space bar and don't bother backspacing it. :)

• 2 years later...

Is there any solution that will allow the messenger pad AND a wireless headset?

I just bought the Halo Reach Wireless headset, and I had no idea that it wouldn't be compatible with the messenger pad. Apparently when the messenger pad is connected to the controller it counts as a headset and a wired headset overrules the wireless. That bums me out.

Plus, I'm not too impressed with the headset. Battery life seems low and it pops a lot, and loses connection occasionally.

So, I think I'm going to take back the wireless headset. Amazon has the black messenger kit so I think I'll get that and give the white one to my son.

Carlos.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I'm using the controller that came with my COD:MW2 xbox. I have the other still new controller stored away somewhere. I'll dig it out and try that.

Are you saying they are supposed to all work together? Wireless controller + messenger pad + wireless headset?

Carlos.