LCVG

Help with minor camera purchase

Robot Monkey

I'm looking for a basic camera to replace my very aged 2.0 megapixel Nikon. I want the camera to be:

* Powered by regular batteries (pref. AA rechargeables)

* Have manual controls

* Take nice pictures (my old Nikon put weird purple fringes around almost everything)

* Have a proper viewfinder (I don't like LCD screen only)

I like this Canon A570 IS:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11248179&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US

It's $160 and comes with a gig SD card. It seems like the best value.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Panasonic DMC-LZ7S. 6x optical zoom, great sensors. It's actually an underground hit with shutterbugs.

I'm very fond of my 5MP Panasonic DMC-FZ5 superzoom I got 2 years ago. It's been a great camera. And it's survived its share of being smacked around and dropped - my almost 2-yr old loves to grab it off the counter when we're not looking.

I picked up a Canon S3 IS in December for a trip and love it. They have come out with an updated version - the S5 IS with a few more bells and whistles but most review sites give the image quality edge to the S3 citing they are cramming too many sensors on the CCD. Anyway since there is a new one, prices are dropping on the S3 as they are clearing them out.

• 4 weeks later...