LCVG

Your favorite PC only games from the last few years

JoeyN

Now that I have my new Imac which I will be using to dual boot to XP, I want to try out some of the PC games I missed over the last few years. I will be picking up Company of Heroes and the new Sam and Max series once I am done with my current crop of 360/wii titles. However looking for some thoughts on other PC exclusive titles you guys have enjoyed.

Yea I agree with all the aforementioned... Try out some of the MMO's like Warcraft, City of Heroes/Villains and I really like Lord of the Rings Online too. I can't help but recommend Vampire TM: Bloodlines (one of the best RPG's ever made). Try out the Windows version of GameTap and play Sam N Max and Uru and a ton of others :) Also, depending on your vid card maybe some of the newer stuff like Crysis as well.

Honestly, it's hard to come up with PC games that haven't been released on consoles in some form or another.

Battlefield 2 and modded Oblivion are so different from and superior to the console versions that they could be considered seperate and distinct. As for recent games, The Witcher(RPG), World in Conflict(RTS) and Crysis(FPS) are probably the best. For older games, Medieval 2, Company of Heroes, and the LOTR Battle for Middle Earth RTS's are good. You could probably find Black and White 2 for next to nothing if that kind of game appeals to you.

Really though, the thing I noticed once I got a lot more serious about PC gaming is that good exclusives come out at a much slower pace than you'd expect due to the console-centric mindset of the industry. Rather, a lot of the PC's allure comes mainly from having access to far superior versions of the games released on consoles and you also get them cheaper due to lower retail prices/better sales/faster price drops. Provided that your PC is sufficiently more powerful than a 360/PS3, some of the best purchases you can make might be rebuys of games you really enjoyed on consoles.

World of Warcraft!
Try out some of the MMO's like Warcraft, City of Heroes/Villains and I really like Lord of the Rings Online too

WOW was always mac compatible (and I had a PC laptop when it came out) so I have played that before, and COH/COV I played for the better part of a year. LOTR I am thinking of giving a shot though, and getting back into guild wars, as I only did 3/4 of the original campaign.

Freedom Force vs The Third Reich

Nice one I didn't remember

Also, depending on your vid card maybe some of the newer stuff like Crysis as well.

The video card in the new Imac's are actually Direct X 10 compatible. I did some research, and the only game that people with the new Imac's had trouble running at a good rate was Crysis which was not surprising. It would run, but at a slide show frame rate. However everything else at the moment runs smoothly

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I used to be a big PC gamer back in the day, but that changed years ago when I did not feel like upgrading my old PC all the time. Will be fun to try this new stuff out. I will let you know how it goes

Not recent, but have you played Fallout/Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, or Planescape?

Actually the fallout series is on my list. Would like to play those before 3 comes out.

I'm not a huge fan of RPG's, but I do like the occasional one.

Civ 4

On my list as well