LCVG

Best BR Disc Player

fretster

Whats the best BR disc player at the moment? I haven't kept up on all the Profiles and all that stuff so I really don't know what to look for. I don't have an Home Theater right now, but will probably get one sooner than later, I have a nice TV though. So... BR players? PS3? I like the idea of bang for my buck, although I'm not a huge fan of Sony... advise please :(

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is currently seen as the best stand alone player on the market for its 1.1 compatibility, ease of use, and speed (which is comparable to the PS3). The other alternative is the PS3 which I still consider the best player on the market for the sole reason that it is the most futureproof. Profile 2.0 compatibility is coming this year along with DTS HD MA support according to Paidgeek (Sony insider) and other sources. Not to mention its just fantastic in the PQ/AQ department (as is the Panny).

Keep in mind CES is just around the corner and we'll no doubt see more players announced so you may want to be a little patient and see what Sony, Samsung, Denon and other manufacturers bring to the table.

The only drawback against the PS3 is the lack of ir compatibility with universal remotes.(I know there is a half assed work around)

Other than that you really cant go wrong with a PS3. Quick loading, stunning pq, and there a some pretty damn good games to play on it, as a side note.

I have a PS3 and absolutely love it. That being said if I were buying a player today I'd probably go with the Panasonic DMP-BD30 that Romier mentioned. However if you go with that model be aware you'll need a HDMI 1.3 reciever to take advantage of advance codecs.

We should hear plenty of news about new BD players at CES next week.

For me the PS3 was a no brainer choice for my Blu-Ray player. Its relatively cheap, feature proof, and oh ya it plays video games. Also as someone who never owned a PS2 its kind of nice to have something that plays those games as well (I picked up a 20gig model with hardware BC). I'd find a good deal on a PS3 and go for it.

Didn't know where to post this and it wasn't really worth just PMing Romier. But it's 9:17 am right now here in Goderich, Ontario, Canada. I've checked BestBuy and Futureshop's website and called my two local ma and pa "deals only in Panasonic Equipment" electronic store called "Rivitte's". Guess what I found out Romier!! The best damn Blu-Ray player in the world....is not available in Canada yet!

See it's a different world up here. Milk comes in bags and Blu-Ray player.....what's a Blu-Ray player!?

*sigh* :(

Just buy a PS3. I may not like it for a few reasons - proprietary unbacklit remote being one of them - but it's one of the best BD players. And then we can always play some online Tekken or something.

There's a guy that made a IR device that emulates a PS controller on avsforum. He's currently beta-testing a device that will hopefully emulate the Sony bluetooth remote for those of us with Harmony remotes, etc. Would make the PS3 a lot better of a device, but dang, $100?

just buy the nyko ps3 remote. It works with the harmony

Been looking into it.

No subtitle button - only controller-based buttons (minor annoyance). Other problems like this with button support (like no power on / power off).

Nyko starts up as controller 1 unless you boot the PS3 with a controller (bigger annoyance by far - this is the real problem for me)

USB dongle will likely be childbait. (minor problem but inevitable)

Too many issues. *sigh* I'm waiting for a better solution. I was hoping to see something at CES this year. I still might try it for $15.

There's a guy that made a IR device that emulates a PS controller on avsforum. He's currently beta-testing a device that will hopefully emulate the Sony bluetooth remote for those of us with Harmony remotes, etc. Would make the PS3 a lot better of a device, but dang, $100?

Are you referring to this device? A co-worker has been using it with his Harmony 880 for over a week now and has nothing but positive things to say about it.

Of course if you want to be able to turn the PS3 on and off it'll cost you $15.

Are you referring to this device? A co-worker has been using it with his Harmony 880 for over a week now and has nothing but positive things to say about it.

Of course if you want to be able to turn the PS3 on and off it'll cost you $15.

Yes, that's it, I believe. I may very well pick that up. It has 2 less disadvantages than the blu-wave - it doesn't become controller #1 and it blends in with the front of the PS3 better (so my 2 year old maybe won't notice it and run off with it).

I could deal without the power on/ power off, though. That's a minor disadvantage to me. The big one was the blu-wave assuming the controller 1 spot. I'd still like a subtitle button but I might be able to create a custom macro to do it.