LCVG

How to sell DVDs?

fretster

Alright, pardon the noob post...

I have a fairly substantial collection of DVDs, all in great shape, all adult owned. I just don't really watch any of them. I sold off a bunch at a local record store a while ago and while that was good for some money, I know I can get more (probably) selling individually through forums or the like.

However, the problem for me going this route is such that PayPal takes a percentage of funds, as well as shipping costs. The thing I liked about the record store was I just brought them in a big bag and walked out with cash, no shipping, no selling 2-3 here and there, however I know I wasn't going to make out like a bandit on the deal.

What should I do? Go through selling them a couple of them at a time in the forums? Or dump a load at the record store?

The reason for this, I haven't watched any of my DVDs for some time, I've been enjoying my HD films that I have and watching regular DVDs now (even with the upconversion) is just a painful experience and I sit and nitpick about the lack of pq. With the recent announcement of WB going Blu only, I'm kinda stuck in picking up a BR player (likely a PS3) as my selection of movies is going to drop in the coming months (not that it was stellar to begin with :P).

HELP ME OUT PEOPLE. I'm not buying a PS3 as a game machine, I've never been a fan of MGS, although Ratchet and Clank looks fun. It would likely be a media center first and foremost and play a game title or two here and there.

Thanks!

I've been unloading my dvds at dvdplanet.com for store credit:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm

Before finalizing the quote agreement, I check their quoted prices against recent ebay sales to ensure that I'm getting some what close to what the dvd is worth.

Right now I'm mainly just looking to offset the cost of a PS3 at Costco... $514 before tax for the 40gb, Ratchet and Clank, Spidey 3, extra controller and a Blu Ray remote. I can also take it back and get cash should something happen. Did that with my launch 360 for a Halo 3 bundle back in Nov. Although if I didn't need the hardware I would probably go through DVDPlanet, that sounds good.

We generally sell to warehouse.com. It's not worth the hassle to sell on ebay IMO do to the amount of chinese bootlegs floating around and annoyance of packaging/selling to everyone.

You might have luck with targeted selections of DVDs on ebay. When we sold our VHS we sold them in lots. Action movie lot, chick flick lot, etc.

We generally sell to warehouse.com.

This site doesn't exist. Is possible you typed that wrong? I googled it too but wasn't sure it was right.

I've been unloading my dvds at dvdplanet.com for store credit:

http://www.dvdplanet.com/qm.cfm

I started doing this one as they appear to give good credit. However, I can't find any FAQ or any solid info on selling DVD's on their site. It's just odd how spartan their site is in regard to info.

Many of my DVD's have different UPC #s than their search engine displays. Does that mean they won't buy my version? I don't want to mail them my collection only to find out they don't want it after all. I also didn't see any information about how/when they pay me. I guess it's at the end of the title entry phase but I'm not going to go through all that work if the answers to my questions aren't satisfactory.

I guess I'll keep looking. Anyone have experience selling DVD'ss to any of the brick & mortar chains?