LCVG

HBO's The Wire: Season 5 (Final Season)

Anybody else watch the first episode last night? It looks like there's some great stuff cooking for the final season. My bullet points:

• McNulty relapsing - inevitable but sad nonetheless;
  • Marlo is one crafty player;
  • City Hall is in deep trouble;
  • Herc now working for the other side? Wow;
  • Carver taking on a leadership role;
  • Interesting first look at this season's angle on the media.

Anyone else watching?

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent episode. I'm not sure I like McNulty faking police work the way he has. It doesn't seem like something his character would do. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Omar is back so the war should be on. I wonder if Clay Davis drops a "shhhhheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiitttttt" on the grand jury next week?

Although this season is still very compelling this far, it's just not matching up to last season yet. Hopefully Simon will tie it all together a bit better soon. McNulty seems to have fallen a little bit too far, too fast... not sure I buy it completely. Clay Davis has turned into a pathetic little man as well which seems strange, he's usually ready to squirm out of trouble without a thought. Still... "Omar comin'!"

It struck me yesterday what a brilliant piece of writing Omar is beyond his being a complete badass. I've seen in the real world how being a gay black man is still QUITE taboo in the African-American community and not accepted whatsoever. I love the fact that Simon made him this fantastic anti-hero.

I watched the 5th episode last night via On Demand.

I can't see Omar going out like that. The bushes had to have broken his fall. Unless he dropped to one of the lower balconies.

Clay Davis had his best drop yet. :)

On the 4th episode that aired last Sunday.

I thought Marlo might kill off the co-op but there probably isn't a need for it if he now controls the dope supply. I couldn't believe Cheese would turn like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

So this isn't about Season 5 specifically but since it's the one thread I could find on the show I figured I would post in here. I recently started watching The Wire (a few years late, I know) and hot damn I'm completely in love with this show. I finished up Season 4 last night and will start Season 5 on HBO Go tonight.

The writing here is just superb. I don't think I've ever watched a television show that so deftly combines a police procedural with true character driven drama. The fact that it has the balls to do this while at the same time being not shy in pushing its own social commentary on the themes it tackles really elevates to a level that really impresses the hell out of me. Season 4 in particular was grueling and depressing to watch but at the same time I couldn't take my eyes of it. It's fucking strange when a show can make you care about a guy like Bodie - but that's the true brilliance here. No character is wasted and as you progress season to season you are constantly rewarded for paying attention to every iota of information thrown your way. Be it through a major character development (

Bodie turning on Marlo, Stringer and Avons dual betrayal, etc.

) or just the shift in the focus of the show like the dock workers in Season 2.

I'm hoping Season 5 continues the streak of quality that each season has maintained. S4 is without question my favorite with S3 running close second thanks to the expanded view of the political struggles in Baltimore. After finishing Season 1 I was wonderfully surprised but by the end of S4, I'm easily willing to call this one of the best television shows to have graced the small screen.

I consider it the best show I have ever seen. I watched it on DVD about 1.5 years ago. It is expansive in scope and brilliant in execution. I can only say Season 5 is worthy of the show. I also believe S4 is the best, but every season has greatness in it. The show has the density of a great novel. It is patient and methodical.

That said, I've yet to watch Breaking Bad or Mad Men. So maybe they are better. I'll settle for equally or almost as good, though.

I consider it the best show I have ever seen. I watched it on DVD about 1.5 years ago. It is expansive in scope and brilliant in execution. I can only say Season 5 is worthy of the show. I also believe S4 is the best, but every season has greatness in it. The show has the density of a great novel. It is patient and methodical.

That said, I've yet to watch Breaking Bad or Mad Men. So maybe they are better. I'll settle for equally or almost as good, though.

Yes you need to watch Breaking Bad. It's at that elite level.