LCVG

Cloverfield Discussion (With Spoilers)

JoeyN

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The creature can actually resize itself as needed. In the end of the movie, they are forced to call in the Japanese defense force, which consists of a young man, a pretty young girl, and (inexplicably) two young children. After tracking the creature on their customizable motorbike w/sidecar, the young man transforms into an alien robot and fights the creature to a standstill. Then they both grow to immense size and duke it out all over NYC, culminating in the creature hitting a set of power lines while the robot simultaneously performs its "southern cross" laser forearm strike. After that, the movie abruptly ends with the children having ice cream.

It's the most innovative thing Hollywood has seen in a generation, can you feel the excitement? In the next movie we learn of the space gorillas behind the plot and witness their newest vile creature, a 400 ft tall salamander with lava for blood. Oh snap!

Lostcasts joked that this movie is tied to the Lost universe. I mean, the roaring sound of the monster in this sounded just like the smoke monster I thought. So it would be funny if in Lost the whole story is about preventing the end of the world, and this movie is what happens, what Lost is trying to prevent.

I've never seen an episode of Lost and really have little idea what you're talking about. Still, that sounds pretty cool. Though it would be even better if it ends in a diner with "Don't Stop Believin" playing in the background.

Aren't there supposedly smaller creatures along with the big one?

There's a section in the 2nd trailer where it looks like 2 "Sleestak" looking figures are attacking a person. It's silouhetted so it's hard to tell.

They're parasites that drop off of the creature, supposedly he scratches himself against buildings and these things drop off occasionally. The part your talking about behind a screen looked like army guys in those full biohazard suits to me, could be wrong though.

I'm back home and I can honestly say I loved this flick, I had a few minor problems with it but overall I really enjoyed it. The monster has not been leaked so any of the images you may have seen up till now were not it, it was completely different than how I imagined it might look, actually very scary in the way it moved. If I had to describe it without spoiling it I might say it was Lovecraftian and Silent Hillish all at the same time. Movie did a very good job of making you believe this was all happening, I left the theater half expecting to see the surrounding city in ruins (I went to a suburban theater so keep you Detroit jokes to yourself). I really like movies that depict something your logic tells you could never happen, but is happening in a realistic way, making you believe it really could happen, Prince of Darkness was another flick that did this for me really well.

One of the problems I had with the story was how after the main characters brother dies on the bridge no one else really seems to care, his brother, best friend, and fiancee are all there and watch him die but there's never really a believable emotional response, all the seem to care to do is rescue the main characters ex-girlfriend. Also the small monsters that fall off the main one were a bit weak, direct rip off of the Starship Troopers bugs, only smaller. I guess they were put in to scary up some of the interior shots where the monster could not be but they seemed tacked on almost to me.

One last note, do not leave the theater when the movie is over, there's no additional footage but there is an awesome score that plays after a few minutes of the credits, definitely worth sticking around for IMO.

Bug, I'd argue:

They don't get a chance for the death to "soak in" until they stop running - when they visit the subway. At that point, I think it's quite clear the impact his death & the surrounding events had on them.

But that's by the by.

I really enjoyed it too, as I said before. It's not a movie about a monster. It's a movie about what what happens to a bunch of ordinary people (well, as ordinary as NYC hipsters can be - I kept expecting to see Josh at the party) when shit hits the fan. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of a videogame - it's a series of larger than life moments like a rollercoaster ride they have no control over.

And whoever did the sound design needs to win awards. Even if it is a 5.1 mix on supposed "handycam" footage ;)

Bug, I'd argue:

They don't get a chance for the death to "soak in" until they stop running - when they visit the subway. At that point, I think it's quite clear the impact his death & the surrounding events had on them.

But that's by the by.

I really enjoyed it too, as I said before. It's not a movie about a monster. It's a movie about what what happens to a bunch of ordinary people (well, as ordinary as NYC hipsters can be - I kept expecting to see Josh at the party) when shit hits the fan. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of a videogame - it's a series of larger than life moments like a rollercoaster ride they have no control over.

And whoever did the sound design needs to win awards. Even if it is a 5.1 mix on supposed "handycam" footage ;)

I completely "get" that, but

to me it seemed he spent too much time trying to find his "lost love", even after his brothers death. I suppose you could make the argument though that his brothers death made him want to find her even more.

You do get a really good shot of the monster but I think I preferred it when you were only getting glimpses, trying to put together in your head what it looked like, how it was moving. Don't get me wrong though, the big reveal was awesome.

Also,

the flaming bum comment in the subway tunnel had the entire theater laughing.

What's with all the spoiler text? This is the "Spoilers" thread, you know. :lol

Hud's commentary during the entire ordeal gave the movie just enough comic relief. Loved the flaming bum comment, and the "something else, also terrible" when Beth asked what the little bug-like critters were.

Yeah but I figure it's no big deal to put up spoiler tags just in case someones perusing this thread and I'd hate to ruin something. Maybe a mod can fold some of this in with the regular discussion.

Hud is a comic genius, or at least whoever wrote his lines is. I loved how when he gave his idea on how to get into the leaning building and he realizes they're going to do it he backpedals, "no, don't listen to me, bad idea, bad idea" :lol