LCVG

George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead - Poster and trailer!

Romier S

Land of the Dead didn't exactly light everyones fancy but I'll admit to enjoying it and even say that I enjoy it more every time I watch it. It tends to grow on you really and though it's not of the quality of Romero's previous films, it's still quite decent. Now Diary is a film Romero has been working on for quite some time and everyone that's laid eyes on it have noted immediately that it's a league beyond Land of the Dead and its a return back for Romero to the days of political/societal commentary at the level of Dawn of the Dead. This time Romero tackles the effects of entertainment and the information age. Including television, the media and most notably the internet during the beginnings of the zombie outbreak. Frankly, I'll go see anything with the guys name on it but even with that in mind this looks quite good..

[ATTACH]3441[/ATTACH]

http://www.movieweb.com/news/48/25648.php

Land had potential, I loved the setting, been waiting to see a good zombie flick that takes place in a ruined sort of world where the zombies are everywhere and the remaining people have clustered together and learned to survive. Land started out good but went downhill quick, Romero's too interested in getting his political commentary into all his movies.

Another angle that could work would be for some director/producer to partner up with CNN, MSNBC, Fox news, etc, and use thier anchors to tell a story through the eyes of someone watching the entire zombie epidemic on TV. Could start with them cutting in with breaking news and go right through as their film crews film the whole thing. I know the Dawn of the Dead DVD did something similiar in the extras but that reeked of being slapped together at the last minute.

• 3 months later...

Well, that sure was a stinking, steaming, peanut packed pile of shit :td Unlike Cloverfield or the Blair Witch Project, at no point did I believe I was watching found footage nor did I empathize with what the characters were going through. The entire movie was one big cliche right down to the cookie cutter characters, enough with the social commentary as well, If he put half as much effort into the story as he did shoehorning that crap into it he might have something. I give a lot of lee-way to zombie flicks and have seen and bought some stinkers, this one is worth a watch for some of the zombie kills from a gore-hound point of view but that's it.

Different strokes for different folks, my father and brother both thought the same. Hell, I even enjoyed the Halloween remake myself.

I didn't think it was a pimple on the ass of the original Dawn of the Dead, but it was Romero and if I'm going to watch a zombie movie I'll always give Romero a chance. Probably the only other zombie movie I'll bother to see in the future is WWZ, whenever it gets made.

I've got that audiobook on my ipod, love it although I hear it's abridged from the print version. There's a new one coming called Quarantine or something like that that looked halfway decent, shot in that found footage style that's all the rage now but the trailer I saw was decent.