LCVG

MLB 2k8(360, PS3, Wii)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

IGN hands on:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/847/847864p1.html

For all the cool additions that 2K Sports made to the gameplay of MLB 2K8 there's still one sore spot that needs to be fixed. Any true 2K fan probably already knows that we're talking about the aesthetics. Player models don't resemble their real life counterparts as well as they should, cloth physics look a little wonky, and while the stadiums look very nice from afar, close-ups don't fare as well. Hopefully in the month of development time remaining, the team at 2K Sports will find a way to iron out the rough edges.

There's no question that MLB 2K8 is better than last year's, and that's the main goal of every yearly sports title. There are still areas that could be refined but the main achievement is that 2K added quite a lot to the gameplay and the vast majority performs better than the alternative. We still have a ton left to unearth within the game ? online play, the breadth of the franchise options, a new mode that we can't talk about just yet, as well as the offering of classic teams and rosters ? but we'll get to that in due time. For now, just know that MLB 2K8 is headed in all the right directions.

• 4 weeks later...

One interesting thing being reported about this game. There is some content that includes alternate jerseys and classic stadiums that will not be included on the 360 version when it ships due to them running out of room on the disc. It will be available for DL over Xbox Live on day 1 though.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about the framerate issues. From playing the demo and what I have seen of the actual game, it is not as smooth as the Show but it is better than last year's version which would jerk all around the field

I liked what I played. The pitching is interesting and challenging. Think what EA did with Skate as far as pulling off tricks and you have idea for pitching. The fielding seems to be better though it takes some getting use to as I kept trying to press the button. I did not care for the hitting. Its not bad, just dull when put next to the pitching. Pull back and push forward. The timing makes it hard to try to work counts and it does not seem you can influence your hits at all killing any strategy.

Still, it seems like people without a PS3 at least have a decent game to play. I should have it tomorrow to give it some more time. If you play the demo, make sure you do the pitch tutorial. It will save you alot of grief.

• 3 weeks later...
Haven't had much time to get back to this, but do have a quick question. Can you unlock achievements if you mess with the difficulty sliders?

It is like last years game in that if the achievement specifies the difficulty, than no. For the season and card achievements, I think you can change the sliders.