LCVG

Silent Hill Origins - PS2

Romier S

Not too suprising but it looks like the PSP game is now being ported to the Playstation 2. It's been rumored for sometime but this recently went up:

http://www.amazon.com/Konami-Silent-Hill-Origins/dp/B0011BE3KA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1200204407&sr=1-4

EBgames is showing a similiar release date. No "official" confirmation but considering Climax has noted interest in porting in the past, I wouldn't doubt it's coming at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed now...

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2008/1/22-30

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. today confirmed speculation that Silent Hill Origins, released last year for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system is in fact currently in development for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. Now PlayStation 2 system owners will have the opportunity to experience this frightening and popular survival horror game, complete with signature sound and music from renowned Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka.

"Console gamers can now expect the same chilling, suspenseful and fear-filled experience that handheld gamers encountered when we released Silent Hill Origins on the PSP system," said Anthony Crouts, Vice President of Marketing for Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. "This is their chance to learn more of the mystery and mythos surrounding Silent Hill that's been hinted at in earlier games and made the series such a success."

• 1 month later...

I gladly picked up the PS2 version of the game today. I know I'm the only one and generally this game didn't get much attention on the PSP from my fellow LCVG'ers but perhaps there will be a renewed sense of interest for the PS3 owners here.

The PS2 version does indeed support 16:9. If you're playing it on the PS3 (20GB or 60GB) the backwards compatibility is flawless and you can upscale the game to 1080p and use smoothing to improve the overall image quality nicely (though there is still aliasing present). The PS2 port of the game has benefitted from a nice character model upgrade. Travis' face for instance has now been clearly defined and he looks a great deal more like the cinematic version of the character that you're presented with in the games opening movie. The PSP facial modeling was impressive for the system but still left something to be desired. Thankfully, alll of the characters have gotten the "nip and tuck" treatment which was a pleasant suprise. The game has also gained some improved lighting effects, more fogging effects when exploring Silent Hill and generally improved textures (not just a PSP game blown up to higher resolution as we've seen in the past). Visually the game sits between Silent Hill 2 and 3 (though the art direction in 2 still blow Origins away).

My primary complaint is that Climax didn't take advantage of having the second analog stick by mapping some actual camera controls to it. As is, the game does a decent job of providing a workable hands off camera solution (which is needed for the limited PSP control interface) but it would have been nice to see that expanded for the PS2 release. Especially considering some of the less than desirable control adjustments that need to be made due to static camera angles.

In the end, anyone that didn't play it on the PSP or even those that have played it and want an improved version of an already solid game can do no wrong in picking up the PS2 release for $30 bucks. It's a quality entry in the series even if it does plays it a bit too safe on the gameplay side of things.