LCVG

Anyone else watching the returned Daily Show?

ChrisBardon

After finally emptying our DVR out, it's starting to fill up again now that Jon Stewart is back on the air, and even though the circumstances seemed a little awkward at the beginning, the show actually seems to be pretty damn good without the writers.

I'm still not sure how the show works within the context of the strike though. I know that Letterman made a side deal, but by the sounds of it Comedy Central didn't. They can say all they want that there's nothing being written for the show, but there's obviously some level of planning going on, since they have video clips, graphics, and pre-filmed bits, so is that somehow not considered writing? Is a performer planning out what they want to say not writing if they don't commit the actual scripted words to paper?

Whatever the labour situation is, it's good to see the show back on the air, since it's always a great conversation starter.

The first episode only had Jon's 'monologue' and then a long interview with a segment and that made sense to me (it wasnt really that good though). But then they started with segments from some of the regulars like Jon Oliver, so I dont know what they are doing.

It seems like more segments are starting to come up now on both Daily Show and Colbert.

IIRC, on that first episode back, Jon made a big point of saying they wanted to make a side deal and even Viacom said OK, but nothing has happened yet.

Is a performer planning out what they want to say not writing if they don't commit the actual scripted words to paper?

I think that's at least what Jon's doing as he made some obscure movie reference on one episode and said, "Yes, until the writers come back, any movie reference I make will be from the 80s" ;)

They can say all they want that there's nothing being written for the show, but there's obviously some level of planning going on, since they have video clips, graphics, and pre-filmed bits, so is that somehow not considered writing? Is a performer planning out what they want to say not writing if they don't commit the actual scripted words to paper?

I have to go with the dictionary on this one:

Writing -verb

1. to trace or form (characters, letters, words, etc.) on the surface of some material, as with a pen, pencil, or other instrument or means; inscribe: Write your name on the board.

And, I believe, it's only if they're writing a script that it would be a violation...

So, I would imagine, they can have written plans for the show, film whatever they want.... as long as they didn't write a script for it....

Someone care to tell me how horribly wrong I am? :D

I don't know Ron, but I suspect there is a lot of gray area here. It's not like the writers on strike can't write anything, I'm sure they are still putting ideas on paper. They just can't sell it to anyone without being a scab. And since Letterman/Leno/Colbert/Stewart are primarily performers first and writers second, they get a pass.

The Guild could ban them I guess, but it's not like once the strike is over John Stewart will never be allowed to write a joke for his show again. To ban these people would be a much bigger headache than to look away. Imagine they banned Stewart and some of his writers got pissed enough to leave the guild and return to work? That would be very, very, very bad for the Guild and the overall health of the strike.

I've only watched the first episode and last night, it definitely had improved. I don't watch Letterman or Leno as I agree with the writers, but sometimes I need a little Daily Show / Colbert to feel like I'm not going COMPLETELY INSANE these days. Bill Maher sure helps out with that too.

sometimes I need a little Daily Show / Colbert to feel like I'm not going COMPLETELY INSANE these days. Bill Maher sure helps out with that too.

I know EXACTLY what you're saying!

Colbert is my favorite.

His book is just friggin hilarious, and wrong in SO many ways!!!! LOL

To be honest with you, I think Real Time with Bill Maher is 100% improved since the strike. They cut out the lame monologue and distracting middle-piece gags and get right to the conversation. Now to add time they bring in a 4th panel guest halfway through the show (usually some some of journalist/blogger type) to mix it up. You miss Bill's rant and New Rules at the end of the show, but the dialogue is very much improved.

Plus watching Tony Snow get grilled for 50 mins about every lie he told while press secretary was just golden. You just can't buy that kind of entertainment anywhere else...

To be honest with you, I think Real Time with Bill Maher is 100% improved since the strike. They cut out the lame monologue and distracting middle-piece gags and get right to the conversation. Now to add time they bring in a 4th panel guest halfway through the show (usually some some of journalist/blogger type) to mix it up. You miss Bill's rant and New Rules at the end of the show, but the dialogue is very much improved.

Plus watching Tony Snow get grilled for 50 mins about every lie he told while press secretary was just golden. You just can't buy that kind of entertainment anywhere else...

:) Agreed.