LCVG

Sunshine - Blu-Ray and Film Discussion

Cyberwoo

Watched Sunshine on Blu-Ray last night. I knew nothing about the film going into it and was pleasantly surprised at its quality. The first 2/3 of the movie was really refreshing and quite interesting. From there though I had some issues with it.

Way too many stupid decisions made by a crew sent to save humanity. These are the 8 people we picked to save us? Also wtf is up with the bad guy at the end trying to stop the mission? I understand its one of the crew members from the first ship but what caused him to be alive and be in the condition he was in? When he appeared all the sudden the movie went from being this beautiful refreshing sci-fi movie to a hack n slash horror flick with all the anoying quick camera cuts and cliches that go along with the genre. It just about ruined the movie for me. Instead of an intelligent ending that leaves me thinking about the movie and wanting to dicuss it with my peers I was given an ending that made me feel like I should have been surrounded by high school aged kids talking on cell phones making plans to go hang out after the movie. Jamba Juice anyone?

That being said I did enjoy most of the movie and am glad I watched it. There is alot to like about the film. With a few tweaks to the script and perhaps a change to some of the cast this could be one of the best sci-fi movies ever.

[spoiler']I understand its one of the crew members from the first ship but what caused him to be alive and be in the condition he was in?

Remember the doctor on the Icarus II bathing himself in the sun and becoming more obsessed with it right from the outset of the film? As the film progressed he appeared more tan and his skin was beginning to develop boils by the time they arrived at the location of the Icarus I. Also, you could tell he had become a bit loopy with his fixation and his attention always seemed to draw him back to the observation deck etc. That's exactly what I understood happened to the captain of the first Icarus.

Boyle and the script do a good job of juxtaposing the doctors fixation with that of the Captain after the reveal IMO. They are two sides of the same coin. With time, the Captain of the Icarus I simply went mad idolizing the sun as some sort of god (he mentions his amazement of it in the old recording). In his "worship" of the star he disfigured his body in the process (signs of which we began to see on the Doctor). He believed in a destiny that he was to be the last human being in the galaxy. A belief that he reveals in his monologue to Capa on the observation deck. His "god" revealed his destiny and once done he was ready to do everything possible to make it happen. Hence why he wanted the mission to fail and that's exactly why he murdered his crew. Recognize that the crew of the Icarus I were posed in various fashions on the observation deck of that ship much in the way that he posed the botanist after killing her. Which suggests that he murdered them all first, then posed them on the observation deck and let the bright rays of the sun disintegrate them to ash. Almost in the style of a ritual sacrifice. The good doctor on the other hand gave his life to help save his home planet and yet still "worshipped" the sun by allowing himself to die in the way that he did

To be entirely honest, I understand the criticims of the last third of the film. I do place partial blame for that on the script for not giving us more in the way of connecting dots before the reveal. It seems a bit too horror movie when it hits and it doesn't jive with the "feel" of the movie up to that point. However, when examined after the fact it does make a great deal of sense and adds a nice metaphysical undertone to everything that came before it in a way. If the movie hadn't gone straight slasher it would have worked far better though. Regardless it doesn't ruin an otherwise superb sci-fi film for me. I bought it blind and both my wife and I loved it.

Romier did a good job explaining it better than I could. I'm frustrated with Sunshine because the first 2/3'rd of the film is gorgeous top end of the spectrum Sci-fi while the last 3rd feels like wasted space. I just wish he would have dropped the horror aspects and came up with a pretty open ending. The ending itself felt a bit too neat and tidy.

Romier: I guess I'm a little slow. I didn't see the

god-like reference to the sun

in the movie although after your explanation and given what happens in the film it makes sense. Its just a shame the execution of it all was piss poor IMO. It seems like we are in agreement with that. I'm not saying I dislike the film because of it but rather I'm just disapointed because I feel the movie could be SO much better. I agree with exile in that I feel a more open ended ending would have been a better choice.

When Icaras' computer said "no there is a fifth crew memeber" I was thinking "ouu crap...".

I was still hooked and really curious to see how it all ended.

If the movie would have just hinted at who that 5th crew member was it would have been better. Giving glimpses of the captain of Icaras 1 (I'm thinking something along the lines of how Ridley Scott shot the original Alien) and showing a true sense of fear/paranoia amongst the crew would have been much more gripping. Hell just getting rid of all the quick cutting camera movements would go far in getting rid of the cheesy horror feel. If ever there was a right time for a directors cut of a film to have a different type of ending this film is it. I'd like to know how the director feels about the ending. Given that he directed a zombie flick (one that I have yet to really see since I fell asleep 20minutes into it) I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks the ending of the film is just perfect.

I have bumped 28 Days Later Blu-Ray up in my netflix queue as a result of seeing this movie. I normally hate zombie movies but everyone says this one is "different" so I guess I'll try to give it a chance. I rented it on dvd a while back and fell asleep shortly after the guy got out of the hospital and I got my first "uh oh this is just going to be another cheesey zombie flick" feeling. Flame me if you must. :)

I rented it on dvd a while back and fell asleep shortly after the guy got out of the hospital and I got my first "uh oh this is just going to be another cheesey zombie flick" feeling. Flame me if you must.

28 Days Later isn't for everyone and its certainly isn't your run of the mill zombie flick. I personally love it. There are some genuine scares in the film and the last half of the film has divided even fans of the film itself. I'm eager to see your reaction to it since it is more of a character study of how humanity copes with such an outbreak than an outright zombie-fest.

The sequel, while not as strong as the first film, is actually quite good in its own right. Don't go in expecting much from the BD as far as PQ is concerned. Remember that 99.99% of the film was filmed on DV hence a 1080p transfer isn't going to do much for it and the picture is simply limited by the source. It is presented as it is intended to be.

I am looking forward to finally sitting down and watching Sunshine since my copy will be arriving today. I actually think 28 Weeks Later is a better film than 28 Days. The original did nothing for me since I wanted to watch a zombie movie and got about 15 minutes of Zombies. ;)

I may have to revisit it again soon.

-Dean-

I enjoyed both 28 days and weeks; although weeks is my favorite of the two. Just finished watching Sunshine with the gf and we both really liked it; although

I do agree about the crazy Capt. Ahab from Icarus I was a bit "out of nowhere" and seemed like it was just thrown in there.

The rest of it was really fun though and a great idea. I liked the ending :)

Wife and I just watched it last night. It really was nice, I enjoyed it a great deal. IFC was also playing the 1972 Solaris version when we finished, I almost couldn't go to bed.

I agree with Romier, had they spent a little more time connecting the dots at the end the movie would have been much the better for it. I would have liked it if

they had found the captain, brought him back on board their ship (or at least talked with him), then have him slowly be revealed as batshit looney. It would have been nice for him to express his point of view and for the viewer to better understand exactly why this guy lost it so completely.

Even adding another 15-20 mins to the film for this purpose would have been good. As it was, the world of this film was enjoyable enough that it felt like it finished too soon.

I liked 28 Days Later, I think I liked Sunshine more. Boyle is one to watch from here on out IMHO.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to watching this, and what a fantastic movie. The picture and sound quality blew me away as well.

As for the last third of the film

I actually saw it coming so I enjoyed it a bit more. I thought someone was going to snap. However I thought it was going to be the Psych doctor on the Icarus II and not the captain of Icarus I. You can see the Psych doctor starting to become infatuated with the sun. As romier mentioned he started getting his body to deform a bit by letting in too much light. Then when the captain of Icarus II is dying, he keeps asking "what do you see" over and over like he was supposed to see something alive in the sunlight. He also mentions stuff about the sun in other parts as well. When he died I thought the movie was going to go a different way then I thought, but then it turned out the Captain of Icarus I fully turned