LCVG

Drop a Ton Challenge 2008

Bruce B

Not much activity in this thread so I assume everyone is fat again.:)

I started a regimen of lifting 6 days a week, and doing 100 miles a week on my recumbent bike. I also started a few months back a regimen that included whey protein. I'm currently at 5'9" and 200 lbs. I feel right now I am in the best shape I have ever been.

How is everyone else doing?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Split the new 2008 post away from the previous thread and decided with a new year, we'll start a new thread.

The wife and I have started going to the gym together, I'm still playing soccer once a week on a team. We really need to improve our eating and stop going out to eat. When its just two of you its hard to cook at home. Our local grocery store has a great fresh meat counter and we've been buying stuff there and grilling them.

As far as diet, At work I stock up on carrots, yogurt and cottage cheese as fillers. I have my wife cook up a lot of chicken and try to bring in some boneless chicken breast every day for lunch. For dinner, due to the weightlifting regimen, I lean towards the protein families of chicken,fish or beef. I love pasta, but it is not my friend.

My only caveat is usually a glass of red wine at night.

I'm still holding nearly steady after major setbacks last year (hernia surgery, foot injury, shoulder injury). I'm +5 from my all-time low of 168, which I'm telling myself is all muscle. :)

I'm still working out nearly every day. My food choices haven't been excellent, but I'm running 12-15 miles total every week on the treadmill, so I've been using that excuse to justify a higher calorie intake.

I'm still not the least bit happy about my stomach, however, so I haven't yet met my goal of feeling ready to go shirtless. I may have to resort to hiring a personal trainer for a few months to really set my workouts on fire.

Carlos.

I started back in August at ~230(didn't realize the scale was a little off so it could have been as much as 240). I'm 185 now (bought a new scale). I did take profile pictures weekly at first and then monthly starting in October as I was too lazy to take it weekly :)

I wish I took some measurements to compliment the pictures to get a true idea of the change. I know my legs have gotten huge. Easyfit jeans from Gap have an 80s fit on me, even though it's loose in the waist.

My goal is by the end of March/beginning of April to drop to 170, and then start my bulking phase.

I am still doing well on my "get heart healthy" routine, doing good cardio 4-5 times a week. My diet is still good, I still haven't had my cholesterol checked again yet, that will come this summer.

Contrary to my previous stated goals, I've started doing some weights as well. I am really not in this to bulk up a ton, just to put on a little muscle and tone what I have. I'm just using free weights at home and after a couple of months my biceps, triceps, and shoulders definitely show some growth. My question is, what are some good exercises with free weights to strengthen my forearms and chest?

When its just two of you its hard to cook at home. Our local grocery store has a great fresh meat counter and we've been buying stuff there and grilling them.

Not going out to eat much is a good start, and when you do, do some research on what foods are healthier than others at restaurants. Another step would be to cut out having meat very often, I only eat it maybe once a week tops and mainly save it for special occasions like nice meals out (even then, I will get a lean steak like sirloin or filet mignon).

We cook a lot even thought it's only the two of us...lots of fresh fish and veggie dishes like lentil soups. Especially with soups, if you want to save some time, make a really large batch and freeze some. I will say we have an advantage here in Austin as there is a crazy variety of superb grocery stores and almost every restaurant here will have at least a few light/veggie entrees on the menu.

I've started a fitness plan this year. I'm in terrible shape. Weighed 303 on January 2nd. Joined the BiggestLoserClub.com (got inspired by the TV show) & have lost 18 pounds in the first 3 weeks. Diet is good (eating every 3 hours, lots of whole & natural food/lots of veggies/lean protein/etc), just working on more & more & more exercise. We have a recumbent bike at home for cardio (doing an hour a day six days a week at about 70-80% MaxHR) and strength training Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Strength training is going to become more & more intense circuit training as my fitness increases. My goal is to weigh around 190 before the end of the year. I will probably not have time for videogames this year.

Dimness, sardines (water-packed), herring, mackerel, & trout are also good sources of omega 3 fatty acids.

I've started a fitness plan this year. I'm in terrible shape. Weighed 303 on January 2nd. Joined the BiggestLoserClub.com (got inspired by the TV show) & have lost 18 pounds in the first 3 weeks. Diet is good (eating every 3 hours, lots of whole & natural food/lots of veggies/lean protein/etc), just working on more & more & more exercise. We have a recumbent bike at home for cardio (doing an hour a day six days a week at about 70-80% THR) and strength training Monday, Wednesday & Friday. Strength training is going to become more & more intense circuit training as my fitness increases. My goal is to weigh around 190 before the end of the year. I will probably not have time for videogames this year.

Dimness, sardines (water-packed), herring, mackerel, & trout are also good sources of omega 3 fatty acids.

Bravo Dan!!! I'm right there with you. Started out at 307 myself, no clue what I'm at now but my wife and I have been hitting the gym pretty much everyday for an hour!

Have you found the BLC to be worth the money? How are the recipes?

Hate veggies and living in the middle of the country means fish is frozen and ass tasting, I grew up in Louisiana so I know how fish is supposed to taste, its one of those meats that freezing it just really disturbs it IMHO.[/qUOTE]

I'm with you there. We are fortunate to have no less than three fresh fish counters near us that always have a good selection of never-frozen fish we can pick up the same day we cook it.

You don't like ANY veggies? Have you ever had really good veggie Indian food?

Have you found the BLC to be worth the money? How are the recipes?

I'm still waiting for the cookbook & plan book (you get a B.L. plan book, B.L. fitness book, and a B.L. cookbook for free if you join the club for 3 months) because they were back-ordered but there are a lot of choices on the website. It's one of the toughest things so far for me: planning & preparing my meals rather than buying some pre-packaged junk takes so much time! The website does a nice job of recommending the right types of food for each meal, then gives you the option of swapping any ingredient with a few dozen different choices if you don't like it. It will also generate a grocery list for you. You are free to replace foods with whatever you like that is comparable. The same goes for the recommended exercises, which include animated images showing proper form.

The website itself could use some improvement. It can be a hassle to log everything & make substitutions, and they only have two experts on the forums dispensing advice for what must be thousands of people's questions. Very rarely, Bob or one of the contestants will make a post or two. There are, however, a lot of helpful articles & videos to be found, although they are not always easy to find either. There are some good community features with people in the forums joining together in groups of similar people & having their own group challenges. Oh, you can also see the occasional behind the scenes type of stuff from the TV show. Not a whole lot though, as those poor people are working out up to 8 hours a day! (typical days are "only" 4-6 hours of workouts for those lucky people on the ranch) Read all about how they worked out 'til they vomited, then went to sleep, then got up and worked out 'til they puked again, pretty much every day etc.

Bottom line for me: I'm losing weight at a nice rate so hell yeah that's worth $20/month!

Oh, and you will have to learn to like veggies. ;)

Hate veggies and living in the middle of the country means fish is frozen and ass tasting,

The only way I'll eat veggies is if they are steamed. Loved steamed brocolli and cauliflower. I add some flavor with some no-cal spray butter.

Also, my wifes friend is a nutritionist and gave her a recipe that involved spraying asparagus with a vegetable oil and spices and broiling them. Delicious.

As far as fish, I'm real picky, but love tuna steaks on the grill.

Keep working on it guys. The transformation is amazing. At some point I will post a before and after pic from when I was 280 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I set a new personal best yesterday, running 5.25 miles in under an hour. 57 minutes to be exact. I really started to hit the wall at about 3.5 miles, but once I got to 4, the 5th mile came really easy.

I celebrated after by eating a big moo-moo burger deluxe and french fries.

Hey, if you can't have a cheat meal after that AND it being superbowl Sunday, when can you?

Carlos.

that's a pretty good run. I'm hoping that I can train myself to do that before the weather starts to get good here for a good outdoor run.

Right now, I walk for 5 mins at 3.5 mph and then jog for 10 mins at 5.5 (whatever the total distance is) as my warmups before hitting weights...it just seems that some days, I can go 15-20 mins of non-stop jogging at 5.5 and other days I'm done after the 10 minutes. The actual days vary as well. I could come back from a day off and feel like running for 30 mins. Some days I come back from an off day and struggle to do the 10 mins.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Kelley! If you need any help, just ask away. It gets easier after a few weeks. I'm really happy with the food right now. I had blueberry pancakes & an omelet this morning. Eating good doesn't mean you can't eat tasty food.

Here's the recipes from the BLC cookbook:

Better Blueberry Pancakes

DESCRIPTION:

If you’re as big a fan of these pancakes as my brunching buddies and I are, rest assured that you can double, triple, and even quadruple this recipe with great success. In addition, the batter will keep in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. I personally like to mix the batter fresh and enjoy the pancakes with a friend . . . otherwise, I find myself tempted to eat more than one serving.

INGREDIENTS:

1⁄2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk

1⁄2 cup whole-grain oat flour

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda

1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1⁄4 teaspoon salt

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! spray

1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries

Sugar-free, low-calorie pancake syrup (optional)

100% fruit orange marmalade spread (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200?F.

In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, flour, egg white, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Whisk just until blended. Stir in the blueber?ries. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to mist lightly with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! cooking spray. Return the pan to the heat. Pour the batter in 1⁄8-cup dollops onto the skillet to form 3 or 4 pancakes. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the tops and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Transfer to an oven-proof plate. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with cooking spray and the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes total.

Place 4 pancakes on each of 2 serving plates. Serve immediately with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! spray, syrup, and/or fruit spread, if desired.

Yield: Makes 2 servings (1 Serving = 4 pancakes)

NUTRITIONAL VALUES

Fat: 3 g

Carbohydrates: 20 g

Protein:8 g

Fiber: 3g

Calories: 140

Mark's Southwestern Omelet

DESCRIPTION:

Since his days on the ranch, Mark Yesitis has enjoyed creating various omelets for breakfast. This one, however, has quickly become one of his favorites. He said it not only tastes great, it’s very filling even though it has only about 120 calories.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup egg substitute or 6 egg whites

2 tablespoons minced green or red bell pepper

2 tablespoons minced fresh tomato

1 tablespoon minced mushroom

1 teaspoon minced onion

Olive oil cooking spray

3 tablespoons salsa

1 tablespoon light or fat-free sour cream

In a medium bowl, combine the egg substitute or egg whites, pepper, tomato, mushroom, and onion.

Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Set over medium heat. Add the egg substitute or egg white mixture to the pan. Cook, lifting the edges with a spatula as they start to set and tipping the pan for uncooked egg substitute or egg whites to run underneath, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until almost set. Flip the omelet. Cook for 1 minute, or until set. Fold the omelet in half. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with salsa and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Yield: 1 Serving

NUTRITIONAL VALUES

Fat: 2 g

Carbohydrates: 8 g

Protein:17 g

Calories: 122

My weight is 275 now. Down 28 since Jan. 2.

I can't get your link to load from here at work.

I don't like running in anything other than running shoes, so I don't recommend cross-trainers, if that's what these are. I recommend New Balance running shoes that emphasize "stability". For me those work really well for lifting and are excellent for running.

Carlos.