LCVG

Prince of Persia

Having seen various conflicting release dates at various UK retailers, I have just found out that Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is, in PAL regions, a bloody PS2 exclusive in 2003 and will not hit the X-Box until around March of next year. I'm miffed to say the least.... Is this not a decision that would backfire on UbiSoft regarding Christmas sales? They are pulling the same stunt with Beyond good and Evil as well.

Daniel

Originally posted by dogbert@Oct 30 2003, 09:52 PM

Sony have been buying off a few developers of late for European exclusives - for example, the upcoming I-Ninja.

Arrgh. Please don't remind me of this - its really annoying, as it blatently belongs alongside Viewtiful Joe on the Cube as well.

This is just the way it is now, tit for tat between the big three as to who gets what third party games first, stump up the money and a developer is unlikely to say no.. Capcom did it with Resident Evil and it's continued with Splinter Cell, GTA, Prince of Persia, Killswitch, I-Ninja and plenty more to come im sure. I've got an Xbox and PS2 so not too bothered! :)

Owning all three consoles, if one is fortunate enough to be able to do so, is really the way to go for these very reasons though, but as an owner of all three something like this still frustrates me somewhat, especially when the XBox is my format of choice when it comes to Prince of Persia. If I get my system modified, I'll be importing it without a doubt. It was one of the festive biggies for me.

Dan

Ubisoft is monkeying around with release dates in North America as well. The ps2 version of POP debuts on the ps2 and then a week later on the xbox and gc. For BG&E, same sort of thing. Ps2 Nov.11, xbox nov.18 and the gc version has slipped to Dec.2. But to completely miss out on the holidays in Pal territories. Hmm?

I've played both the ps2 and xbox POP demos and I'll be passing on the ps2 version. Framerate issues in the combat section, me no likey.

But to completely miss out on the holidays in Pal territories. Hmm?

It's not that daft an idea - this year's schedule is so crowded that it'll be easy to get lost in the crowds. I thoroughly understand why publishers push to get games done for release before Christmas, it really is the best time to appeal to "casual" shoppers, but for a more niche title, it may not be the best time of year.

It's certainly an issue with a good and bad side, or perhaps an understandable side, and a bad side. The bad, obviously that PAL owners can not have it on the XBox this side of the festive season, but (somewhat) good because each year it is an increasingly frustrating problem I think, for both developers and gamers alike when so many games hit the shelves at once.

I've always looked at cinema the same way, especially over the summer where there is this abundance of movies, a big movie out literally every week which does damage to every movie since few can hold the top spot and audience attention for more than a week until the next movie comes along...

I know this Christmas over here in the UK the XBox alone will see Project Gotham Racing 2, Rainbow six 3, Fifa 2004, the two new Harry Potter games and possibly The Return of the King as huge sellers. My main sadness is really that Prince of Persia stood head and shoulders above all of those on my most awaited list for Christmas. I'm certainly not deprived of other games this winter, as an owner of all three consoles it'd be a lie to say I was, but Prince of Persia really was the biggie for me.

Dan

Ah, now I am not amused. There's an article over at the PS2 section of IGN detailing the bonuses included with the game and the phrase "stupid" does come to mind. To wit, the PS2 and GameCube versions are both going to come with the original Prince of Persia (the Cube will have connectivity though) while the X-Box version is going to have the second game.

I recognize that when releasing three different versions of the game at once there is some impetus to make them stand out, but I think that splitting up the games like that is not it. It irritates the hell out of me, actually, because I love the second PoP game and the first and there's no freaking way I'm shelling out for two copies even if I did own an X-Box.

I mean, to me this just seems like a deliberate "Ha ha screw you if you like the series as a whole". Maybe I'm being a tad abrupt about it, but really, Joe Average who doesn't know PoP from Tetris is likely to pick up the game for whatever system they want. The people really interested in the old games are going to be afficiondos who would likely want both and just got shafted. I suppose the main game is really the point, but I'd have picked it up for the originals personally.

It's just bloody frustrating is all :P.

I recognize that when releasing three different versions of the game at once there is some impetus to make them stand out, but I think that splitting up the games like that is not it.

Yes, it's VERY annoying, Mark. It seems to be a trend lately, with the console-specific characters in Soul Calibur II and different unreleased games in the Intellivision compilation for each console. And now this. I really hope it doesn't become the norm.

At $50 US per game, I don't think many people are going to buy multiple copies of a game. But that might not be the point. I'd imagine that the Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would fight (and pay $$) to get the prime "extra" on their system to outsell the others.

with the console-specific characters in Soul Calibur II and different unreleased games in the Intellivision compilation for each console.

You know, the Soul Calibur thing didn't actually bother me as much, because I didn't see them as anything but extra characters. The core game remained the same and complete so it wasn't a problem.

The Intellivision thing is ridiculous, with a package that does NOT feel complete because of the exclusive games. It's like you have to have both to have the "full" version, which is exactly the case.

And I realize that the Soul Calibur thing could easily explain the PoP games since they are supposedly extras, but people who are actually interested in the title expressly for those two games like myself are gonna feel a bit ripped. I guess it's all a matter of perspective :).

You know, the Soul Calibur thing didn't actually bother me as much, because I didn't see them as anything but extra characters. The core game remained the same and complete so it wasn't a problem.

I agree, it didn't bother me too much, either. Although I did end up with two versions. I imported the GC version last March, and also bought the Xbox when it was released here. I have no regrets, as both Link and Spawn are very cool characters. But wouldn't it be cool to have Link and Spawn fight? :D

It's funny, my brother-in-law (who only had a PS2) wanted to be able to play Spawn so badly, that it was one of the final straws that pushed him into buying an Xbox. I guess their strategy is working.

So I don't have an Xbox yet, but I'm hoping for Christmas this year the wife will see the light and we will be a tri-system household ;-)

I'm looking forward to PoP, I played the PS2 demo, and was pretty impressed. Has anyone played the demo for the other 2 systems (I'm assuming there is a demo for Xbox and GC).

If you have can you comment on the visual differences (if any), audio differences, ease of controller use etc?

I'm been looking online but none of the sites I have seen have done a "why you should get it for system X"...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...