LCVG

More Planet Moon Goodness - Band Mashups

dogbert

THQ & Planet Moon announced a new Wii game today - "Band Mashups". Think Guitar Hero with the typical Planet Moon sense of humour. You build a band in one of 5 different musical styles rock, marching band, Latin, country or funk/hip-hop, choose three different instruments, then face off against another rival band in a different style. As you or your opponent takes the lead in the battle, the music changes style to match the leader's musical 'genre'. You need to watch the video to see it in action to appreciate it I think.

GameSpot's got a hands-on preview and it's apparently due in April.

944653_20080206_screen009.jpg

944653_20080206_screen005.jpg

Playing a song in Band Mashups works in much the same way as it does in the aforementioned music games, but in the absence of a plastic guitar you'll be hitting notes by making gestures with the Wii Remote. There are five different types of notes to hit as they travel up toward the middle of the screen, and the gestures to play them include moving left, moving right, moving up, thrusting, and shaking. Assuming that the two battling bands are representing different genres of music, the version you'll hear is always the one being played by whichever band is currently winning, and it's not uncommon for that to change quite frequently once the weapons start coming into play. Before we talk about the weapons, though, here's a list of 15 of the 30 songs that will be appearing in the game to give you some idea of the eclectic selection. None of these songs are performed by the original artists, but all have been recorded in the styles of all five genres, with language translation where necessary. That's a total of 150 playable recordings for those of you keeping score.

"Adios Mexico" - Texas Tornados

"Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones

"Brick House" - The Commodores

"Dum Diddly" - Black Eyed Peas

"Master Exploder" - Tenacious D

"Feel Good Inc." - Gorillaz

"Insane in the Brain" - Cypress Hill

"Jungle Boogie" - Kool & The Gang

"That's The Way (I Like It)" - KC & The Sunshine Band

"Mama Said Knock You Out" - LL Cool J

"One Thing Leads to Another" - The Fixx

"Photograph" - Def Leppard

"Man of Constant Sorrow" - The Soggy Bottom Boys

"Spoonman" - Soundgarden

"Whoomp! (There It Is)" - Tag Team

Planet Moon's games are always worth looking at.

This sounds like fun, and I am LOVING that song list. I guess without actual instruments, they don't have to worry so much about songs having "interesting" parts for specific intruments to play, which should give them more freedom in song selection.

I'd like to see the D show up in some of those other rhythm games....