LCVG

Buying a PS3

fretster

Well, my girlfriend and I are on the rocks a little bit so I'm debating buying a PS3 to ease the pain and bring a little of Blu light to my day.

Couple of questions I have though as I haven't researched the PS3 a huge amount...

Reliability; I know it doesn't have RROD or anything like that going on, but should I look to purchase one from Costco so I can return it further down the road if need be?

CELL processor; I've been reading that IBM is now able to manufacture the CELL processor smaller and it'll be making it's was into PS3s at some point. Should I wait for this to happen? I don't really care a ton about power consumption, it doesn't seem like it would be a big reason to wait...

Anything "special" I should be aware of? I'm mainly getting it for the Blu Ray side of things as well as some of the exclusive games like Warhawk, GT:P, Resistance, and some others.

Are there any sites similar to TeamXbox for the PS3? I usually frequent that and Xbox360Fanboy for 360 news and reviews; I know there is a PS3Fanboy, couldn't find a similar-to-TXB site for it though.

Thanks!

You're right, it doesn't have the RROD type of reliability issues, but buying it from Costco if you can is likely a good idea regardless.

I saw the IBM news too, but I wouldn't wait for that change to make it to the production line - there's no timeline for it at all yet that I know of.

The only other "big" thing to be aware of is the backwards compatibility with the PS2 - the 40GB has none, the 80GB has limited compatibility. Both are compatible with PS1 games.

GDC's coming up in a week & a half. Some might suggest waiting just in case there's any big announcements of a new bundle etc, though GDC isn't traditionally the place for those sort of announcements. Note, I'm not hinting that there's going to be one - just throwing out the timeline.

You're right, it doesn't have the RROD type of reliability issues, but buying it from Costco if you can is likely a good idea regardless.

I saw the IBM news too, but I wouldn't wait for that change to make it to the production line - there's no timeline for it at all yet that I know of.

The only other "big" thing to be aware of is the backwards compatibility with the PS2 - the 40GB has none, the 80GB has limited compatibility. Both are compatible with PS1 games.

If I could get a 60gb at Costco I would; but it seems that the only way to do that is to buy on eBay or luck-out and find it at some out of the way place. Either way, Costco doesn't stock it, so I doubt I'd want to do that. It'd be nice for BC, but the 360 is BC as well and I've only played Lego Star Wars on that... I guess it doesn't matter that much to me as I don't have an existing library of PS2/1 games.

The other thing about the future announcements and stuff is that if I buy from Costco I can simply bring it back and get my cash from it, so that isn't overly concerning to me.

The frustrating thing for me is I don't really dig Sony that much as a company; but on the BluRay side of things it is the only option that makes sense since they don't have a standard set (like HDDVD...) and the profiles are upgradable and whatnot. The other thing is that a similarly equipped (to the PS3) BR player costs just as much as one and can't play Warhawk... *grumble*

I've stated on here that I HATE Sony, but the PS3 is a mighty fine machine. Yes, I feel like a hypocrite, but like you wrote, fret, a Blu Ray machine as good as the PS3 would cost way too much without able to play Pain.

Glad I'm not the only one in that boat. I was reading more about profile 2.0 and the requirements of it surely are going to cause people to bend over and take it the dry way when those stand alone machines come out later this year...

I'm no Sony fan, either, but I enjoy my PSP and PS3 on my Sony TV a lot :)

GDC's coming up in a week & a half. Some might suggest waiting just in case there's any big announcements of a new bundle etc, though GDC isn't traditionally the place for those sort of announcements. Note, I'm not hinting that there's going to be one - just throwing out the timeline.

Will be interesting if they tell us more about the DualShock 3 coming to North America.

Well, got one. I was going to get the 40gb Costco bundle with Ratchet and Clank:ToD, BR Remote, Extra Controller and Spiderman 3. However I spotted the last 60gb bundle they had which just comes with an Extra Controller, Genji (what ever the hell that game is) and Talladega Nights. Woot 60gb! :D

Nice find. Trade Genji immediately and buy a real game. :)

My thoughts exactly, not even going to bother opening it. Although I was kind of debating keeping it just incase I have to return the PS3 for some reason. If I traded it then wanted to take it back I'd have to rebuy the game. Any idea how much it would trade for anyway? If it's not that much (and I doubt it is) I'll just keep it.

If anyone knows of a reliable source for a new 60GB or 20GB, please get in touch...

I'd be happy to check for you at my local Costco. I'm doubtful they do have any left there though cause they had their stock tag taped to this one. The Costco part number for their 60gb bundle is 333333.

The thing is, I've leaned toward buying it on the 360 if they are on both... a shameless achievement whore here. Motorstorm was fun, but I tired of it quickly. I bought Stranglehold, but strictly for the Hard Boiled movie included. Uncharted was a terrific game, but after 3 times through, it wasn't worth keeping anymore.