LCVG

Apple Filing Hints at Potential iGame System

Dave C

Just what the world needs. Another game system

That's what people said when Apple released a little thing called the iPod. "Just what the world needs... another MP3 player."

That's what people said when Apple released a cell phone. "Just what the world needs. Another smartphone."

There's a pattern here...

That said, I think this will just be part of the AppleTV playing games similar to what you can play on an iPod.

Maybe the first Ipod, because people didn't realize a better Mp3 player could come out. But not so much on the Iphone. It was a highly awaited product for a long time because most cell phones were designed like crap.

I'd say millions of Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola, Helio, LG, and Palm users would argue with that one (and still do).

I'd say millions of Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola, Helio, LG, and Palm users would argue with that one (and still do).
Well people must not have liked their cell phones, if the Iphone is already #2 on the market in less then a year, causing a good chunk of the companies you mentioned stocks to drop more then they have in years.. As more contracts expire, the Iphone totals will keep on rising. The only thing keeping the Iphone sales lower are two things. The lack of key features the blackberry has like Exchange support/ the ability to install app's. Both which will probably be fixed very shortly. The second is the decesion to keep it on AT&T/Cingular only

I don't consider the Blackberry a crap phone either. They make some great stuff

Right. Using the same logic, it's arguable that people don't like their Wiis, 360s, and PS3's if / when something superior were to come out from Apple, especially for that oh-so lucrative casual gaming crowd. If Apple were to make things that much easier, as they are known to do, I wouldn't be surprised if people hopped on board.

I know I am frustrated with a lot of usability issues on all three systems, not to mention the portables (some people think this will be a portable device, if this speculation has any truth to it anyway). Were Apple to get some more serious games outside of Ms. Pac Man and Poker on a sexy device, they could be a player over night. They've proven it before.

I'd much rather see Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo innovate and extend their existing lines, like a PSP 2 that kicks ass, a Zune that wets my panties with 360 integration that rocks my world, etc... than the birth of yet another whole new platform. Integration is the killer app for me. I don't need yet another tetris machine.