LCVG

Professor Layton & The (Idiot Gamer) Curious Village

Mark E

I can't believe that there wasn't a thread on this until now.

Professor Layton is in stores as of Sunday and it's the most charming DS title I've played... probably ever. Professor Layton is a very clever puzzlesmith who goes to the French village of St. Mystere to try and solve a mysterious inheritance riddle.

It's all a framework for some very gorgeously drawn puzzling fun. It's an adventure game, but not in the strictest sense of the word - no inventory puzzles to be found here. Instead you're tasked with good, ol' brainteasers. If that's not your cup of tea... stay the hell away, because that's all you're getting.

Lots of old favorites like the wolves and sheep (chicks in this case) crossing the river, and I've (endured) seen quite a few matchstick puzzles that I am the utter shyte at. Thirteen puzzles took me about 90 minutes and I had to use more guesswork and hint coins than I'd care to admit. Thankfully the game doesn't penalize you too much for wrong guesses...

Sometimes the solution is bloody obvious, sometimes not. There's a great puzzle where the Professor illustrates the value of not reading too far into things to find a trick where there isn't one. I'm absolutely in love with it so far and there's lots to do. 130 puzzles in total, plus one a week released via WiFi for free download for the next year.

Add in the gorgeous art style and the clever plotline plus some fine animated cutscenes and you have a real winner. Anybody who ever enjoyed a round of Mindtrap or a 6 Minute Mystery should be in heaven with this one.

With this game now, Apollo Justice next week, and the Experiment this week, February is turning into the best adventure gaming month in a loooong time. :rock

I tried to break my game buying moratorium and get this tonight as a "comfort game" (I'm sick :P), but I couldn't find it at the walmart where I was loading up on drugs.

Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow at lunch. The 130 puzzles + ongoing DLC + pick up/put down nature of this game make it a perfect game to own rather than rent for all of the travelling I do.

Heh, I am not ashamed to say that I love the amount of "classic" puzzles that are returning in this game. Better bone up on your viewings of Die Hard With A Vengeance everybody ;). Up to Chapter 3 and 26 puzzles in, with some of the hidden ones grabbed on the way. I'm already happy to see hints of a sequel as per the manual, this game is just too much fun. I seem to be getting a little more brainpower too, I managed to solve a matchstick puzzle in under a minute last night, huzzah!

It's really something how one puzzle will stump you for nearly twenty minutes straight (oh pathfinding puzzle, how I loathe thee) and others you can blast through in seconds. And so much variety. And things to do. I just opened up the Inn mini-game, and every time I score a scrap of painting I get a little too giddy... The first hidden puzzle is a corker too, not terribly hard, but a lot of fun and based around a classic optical illusion.

Glad to see others picking this up, it's a keeper.

Yeah, surprise sleeper hit of February for me, and I won't be at all shocked if this lands on my top games of the year. On top of all these puzzles there's a decent little plot driving things. Nothing to put you off the latest novel you're on, but a number of interesting little 'what the hell' mysteries to delve into. And a plethora of cats apparently.

I've just finished Chapter 3 and have 48 puzzles under my belt (the number I have gotten full cash monies on is depressingly low) and I am constantly surprised by the variety here. And the number of puzzles to track down beyond the main must-do ones is nuts; luckily there's that shack where unfound puzzles end up if you finish a chapter without them. I scoured the area for Ch.3 and still missed three of them.

Another really memorable one for me was the stamp puzzle (or, at least, the first stamp puzzle, just in case more show up later). Very simple, yet very, very fun to do. Lots of great riddles to solve too, but I gush... and gush... and gush.

Oh, and Dean, yeah, I heard the series was up to its third incarnation :tu. The manual all but guarantees that the sequel is coming out here. The Japanese title was Professor Layton & The Devil's Box, I believe, for the curious amongst you.

This is a perfect DS game. I can play it for 3 hours (which I've done today), or I can play it for 3 minutes (which I've also done today) and it delivers its gameplay perfectly either way. Nothing is timed event so I can be playing it while doing something else. That's big for me as I have a backlog of movies and TV to watch.

When I first powered it on and there was actual voices coming from the characters I was wondering how they would fit all that data on the cartridge. Then it goes away, which is okay, but the voice acting with the art style would have been awesome the whole way through.

I'm about 30 puzzles in now (I've not found 3 or 4) and I'm just getting into Chapter 3.

Damn, I didn't realize just how hooked I was on this game until I pulled up the save screen and realized that I had logged seven and a half hours of gametime already!

73/74 puzzles solved so far, for some reason Puzzle 111 and I do not get along. I'm fairly sure I know what they want, but have no clue how to give it to them so they are happy. Stupid matchsticks.

I'm also amazed at how incredibly addicted I am to the gizmos, putting the painting together and tinkering with the room layouts at the inn. I'm one gizmo away from finishing it off, and I cannot find the likely missing puzzle I need. I'm hoping after this chapter it shows up in puzzle shack so I can just get it there. :)

No penalty for resetting, Josh. Only penalties for submitting incorrect answers. Some puzzles make it impossible to submit an incorrect answer, and as such you will get full marks once you get it correct. I just did a series of Chess puzzles and they made me keep trying until I got it without giving me a fail.

Finished off the story today, all side mysteries solved. I think I only missed 1 or 2 puzzles on the way. I kept a save so I can go back and find them.

Great game.

*edit - now all puzzles in the game are solved. Still need to unlock two of the bonus pieces under Layton's Challenges though.

Also finished off yesterday, left a few puzzles to go back to later.

Already want a sequel to this, as noted. This series has oodles of potential. A really great ending too - they used the animated cut-scenes to great effect and the story pays off quite nicely. More games should have such a well-done denouement.