LCVG

Billy Joel @ Shea - July 16th

Dave C

Tickets go onsale this weekend. Anyone else going to try?

http://www.507tixx.com/

Tickets for "The Last Play At Shea Presented By Citi" go on sale Saturday, February 16 at 9:00 a.m. exclusively at http://www.507TIXX.com and by Phone at (718) 507-TIXX.

"Shea Stadium is one of the most hallowed venues in rock & roll history and it's an honor to help throw Shea the ultimate concert farewell party," said Billy Joel. "As a sports fan and a music lover, I will always have a place for Shea Stadium in my heart. I thank the Mets for giving me and my fans a chance to rock Shea Stadium one last time for the ages."

Billy Joel's exclusive Shea concert extravaganza will take place the night after Major League Baseball's All-Star Game in the Bronx. With his upcoming show at Shea, Joel becomes the first artist in music history to have played all four of New York City's premier sporting venues: Shea Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Giants Stadium and Madison Square Garden, where, in April 2006, he broke the record for longest sequence of sold-out shows by a single artist (12).

Joel's July 16 performance at Shea will put a punctuation mark on America's birthplace of stadium rock. Shea Stadium played host to the Beatles August 15, 1965. The first concert to be held at a major sports arena, the Beatles at Shea Stadium set attendance and revenue records, proving the viability of sports facilities as live music venues while giving rise to the modern live concert industry.

I'd try to get tickets for this, but Shea stadium is a bit of a long haul for me.

Now that I think about it, Billy was in town last year on May 9th (his birthday). I didn't bother getting tickets for that show for whatever reason, and now I wish I would have. I've seen him three times live now: once for the River of Dreams tour, once in 1998 and once with Elton John. It'd be fun to see him perform again.

Another show added:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/billy_joel_expands_shea_swan_s.html

More than 50,000 tickets for the concert July 16 sold in 48 minutes, according to concert promoter Live Nation.

Tickets for the second show, on July 18, go on sale Saturday, Feb. 23. Sales begin at 9 a.m.; call (718) 507-TIXX or visit 507tixx.com.

While I kind of expected they would add more shows, I think it was unfair that they billed the show "Last Play at Shea". Most die hard Billy fans may not mind as they will probably look forward to another show, but those casual fans that thought they were going to a "historic" event will have settle for "The Next to Last Play at Shea".