LCVG

January 2008 NPD's

JoeyN

Saw this at IGN.com.

Wii ? approximately 274,000 gamers picked up the console in January. Surprisingly, the second best-seller was not the company's DS handheld, but PlayStation 3 with nearly 270,000 units sold. PlayStation 2 took third with about 265,000 units sold. DS was the fourth best-seller with roughly 252,000 units sold, PSP fifth with 230,000 sold and Microsoft's Xbox 360 trailed them all with about 229,000 in sales.

The biggest performer for the month was Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Xbox 360 with about 328,000 in sales. Wii Play was number 2 with 298,000 in sales. Guitar Hero III for Wii was number three with another 240,000 in sales. Super Mario Galaxy was number four with another 172,000 sold. Xbox 360's Rock Band was number five with 171,000 in sales. Guitar Hero 3 for Xbox 360 (167,000), Burnout Paradise (144,000), Call of Duty 4 for PS3 (139,000), Mario Party DS (138,000) and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (133,000) rounded out the top 10 best sellers

That time of month again.

1. Wii - 274,000

2. PlayStation 3 - 269,000

3. Nintendo DS - 251,000

4. PSP - 230,000

5. Xbox 360 - 230,000

1. COD4 (360) 330k

2. Wii Play 298k

3. Guitar Hero 3 (Wii) 239k

4. Rock Band (360) 183k

5. Guitar Hero 3 (360) 182k

6. Super Mario Galaxy 172k

7. Burnout Paradise (360) 144k

8. COD4 (PS3) 140k

9. Mario Party DS 138k

10. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) 133k

No rumors that Microsoft is shortening supply to release a different SKU?
Nope nothing like that, maybe something at GDC?. Shane Kim mentioned the shortage a few days ago, and Bell said this morning they were having supply issues. Which is not a shock as many people on the forum had problems finding Pro/Elites since the holidays, and the online stores have been out a large portion of the time. They get some in, and then they are out in a few days. Until this past weekend, I had not seen a Pro/Elite since the last week of Dec. Only arcade units and a few halo ones as well. Of course some areas still have Pros/elites, but the thread on CAG has been talking about this for a while with shortages in some areas. Guess we will see what happens in the next few weeks

Are we finally seeing Sony turn the corner?

-Dean-

Sony turning the corner has been predicted by lots of people for right..about...now. So it falls inline with that and makes sense. However, given the 360 shortages it is sort of a skewed comparison.

March is sort of a lull time, I think that month's NPDs will be telling since the 360's supply will be back, and there won't be any exceptional exclusive software blips that distort the averages like Halo 3 or MGS4. Infact, isn't March GTA4 month? It will be interesting to see if the PS3 gets a huge surge from that game.

"We're literally out of stock in many stores. We think this will have an impact on our sales," Bell said. "It may cause the overall industry number to be down a little bit.

"Retailers have been really upset, they are on allocation. It is a lag I think we're seeing in January and that may continue into February, then as spring ramps up, we'll be able to meet that demand."

Funny that statement came out RIGHT before the NPD numbers did. I don't get it. I can go to Gamestop.com right now and all the systems (including elite) say "ships in 24 hours". I just had 3 360 units sent to three different TV stations without a problem. Nintendo can't do either. I don't see a shortage. At all.

Hopefully, and here's the silver lining, they are clearing out for Falcons and Jaspers. Perhaps if their failure rate wasn't so high (estimated at around 16%) this wouldn't be a problem (if it was true).

Let's see...

Gamestop.com: Elite: Usually ships in 24 hours; Pro: Usually ships in 24 hours; Arcade: Usually ships in 24 hours

Bestbuy.com: Pro: Leaves warehouse in 1 day; Elite: Sold out; Arcade: Leaves warehouse in 1 day

CircuitCity.com: Premium: In stock, add to cart; Arcade: In stock, add to cart; Elite: Out of stock online

If anything, they're refreshing manufacturing on the Elites, which always get the new chips first anyway.

talk of shortages by people has been going on since jan 1st. In January for 2 weeks bb, amazon and gamestop/eb online were OOS of pros and elites. They came back for a few days and were out again. The have been in stock this month on and off as well. Like I said before. Some areas have reported having them, others none. Just ask the few forum members who had a hard time finding them in the 360 thread. Its not something ms made up out of thin air. Someone at d.I.c.e asked about it and they confirmed

And here come the rumours of new motherboard configurations... The source is 8bit joystick again, the site that 'leaked' a lot of other 360 news recently.

The Opus project is a "Falcon" generation motherboard designed to fit in a Xenon case. You can expect an 90 nm GPU but a 65 nm CPU. Opus solves a major hardware recycling and inventory problem since Microsoft currently has millions of used Xenon cases from RRODed dead systems and this lets them use most of the good parts from the millions of dead Xenons but with a newer tested more reliable motherboard.

There is no HDMI on Opus since the Xenon cases don't have openings for the port. Opus is a third generation Xbox 360 in the case of a first.

At the heart of a Valhalla Xbox 360 is a combined 65nm CPU and 65nm GPU on a unified super chip. This also would only need one cooling system and be much quieter and hopefully more reliable than previous Xbox systems (if they include hardware JTAG testing reporting into the design).

It is really early in the design process but there are engineers at Microsoft working on it as you are reading this. Heck they are probably reading this since this is the first that you are going to hear about Opus and Valhalla.