LCVG

HD DVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XXIV - The Format War No More

Angry the Clown

*ADMIN NOTE*

This is a continuation of previous discussion threads. You can view the previous 20 (!) threads right here:

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part I

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part II

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part III

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part IV

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part V

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VI

HD-DVD and Blu Ray Discussion Part VII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part VIII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part IX

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part X

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XI

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XIII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XIV

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XV

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XVI

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XVII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XVIII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XIX

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XX

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XXI

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XXII

HDDVD and Blu-Ray Discussion Part XXIII

So just to be a fly in the ointment, are DVDs to Blu-Ray just the new VHS to Laserdiscs???

It will be neither a niche nor dominant format, but nevertheless remain a profitable brother to DVD in the years ahead in my opinion. That may well be all it needs to be since I believe the future of content delivery to simply be choice. Physical media, downloads, on demand… the future is unlikely to be dominated by just one of these delivery options, but a healthy combination of all of them.

So far Blu’s sales are encouraging if compared to those of DVD in 1997/1998, so it will be interesting over the next two years to see just how well it performs now that confusion will become a thing of the past and all the content providers can make a concentrated effort to promote their catalogue over again and try and sell people on the benefits. All this, and the inevitable drop in disc and player prices over the next eighteen months.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, big cable/satellite will fight that tooth and nail...

I work in this industry. There isn't enough of a market to just give you want you want. The way the companies like ESPN and ABC price their stuff, the bundled sale which means channels you don't watch is the only affordable way to offer it to you. We offered it on our Big dish sales and it never sold. The sales of the package which let you pick 12 channels for $12 a month was a complete failure.

All I know is that locally we're getting 6 new HD channels in a few weeks and that will continue my self-imposed HDM purchase slowdown. Not even renting that much. Maybe the gloss has worn off the format for me for now. I need a "DAYUM!" title to get me going again, I think.

We will transition from dvd to BluRay in my opinion. When a bluray player is on the shelf for $100 and stores are selling the movies for $15, it will be a no-brainer for regular people. In other words, when the prices drop to a certain point dvd just won't be a viable option. The customer can use the bluray player to upconvert the dvd's they already have a buy bluray movies for the movies they want from then on.

This will take time of course and I'd guess 2012 or 2013 or so. That's my guess on the future but I can't see people buying a dvd player when a BD player is sitting right next to it for $100.00.

Really Jordan? I think there's some great titles to be excited about in the coming weeks. Michael Clayton next week is very high on my list. March is quite a decent month with No Country for Old Men hitting. For the more fluffy side of things Independance Day is coming from Fox. As is I Robot which has been a guilty pleasure for me. I Am Legend at the end of the month in March should be a stellar disc (and a decent film with a problematic third act). Unbreakable and A Passage to India are both immediate buys for me as well in April. Predator hits as well.

HD DVD still has some life left with Beowulf, American Gangster, Bee Movie, and Sweeney Todd. We'll see if Uni and Paramount keep that slate as is given all of the recent news.

Mind you, I'm not saying every disc there is a buy (hardly;)) but there's a decent slate of discs coming in the next two months and we really have very little info on whats hitting for the rest of the year.

Mike:

Yes, this is the new Laserdisc. It is going to be somewhat more popular - a somewhat bigger niche. That's cool, I was just a teenager when laserdisc was 'big' and never saw a player in person.

Really Jordan? I think there's some great titles to be excited about in the coming weeks. Michael Clayton next week is very high on my list. March is quite a decent month with No Country for Old Men hitting. For the more fluffy side of things Independance Day is coming from Fox. As is I Robot which has been a guilty pleasure for me. I Am Legend at the end of the month in March should be a stellar disc (and a decent film with a problematic third act). Unbreakable and A Passage to India are both immediate buys for me as well in April. Predator hits as well.

HD DVD still has some life left with Beowulf, American Gangster, Bee Movie, and Sweeney Todd. We'll see if Uni and Paramount keep that slate as is given all of the recent news.

Mind you, I'm not saying every disc there is a buy (hardly;)) but there's a decent slate of discs coming in the next two months and we really have very little info on whats hitting for the rest of the year.

I agree with Romier who has mostly good taste. ;) There's some good titles coming out, especially the Oscar bait movies. No Country for Old Men is a BUY, I love Unbreakable (I'll upgrade when I can get it for sub $15). I want to rent Beowulf and I am Legend for sure, and my wife LOVED Sweeney Todd.

I'll forgive Romier for I, Robot though. Asimov is my favorite sci-fi writer. Asimov started writing robot stories because he was sick of the Frankenstein complex. I have a very rational hatred of this movie, probably from the second I watched the trailer and realized this hack movie was really not in the Asimov spirit :(

I'd better stop. The very mention of the I, Robot movie makes me agitated. Sorry for picking on your movie, Romier.

Bonnie and Clyde is out in March too (and Gattaca which I think is an interesting film, not just because the concept of a watchable film starring Jude Law is a rare and intriguing for me).

The 1st quarter lull really ends next month and it's likely to get silly for our wallets from April onward really – particularly if the summer is now likely to introduce Paramount, Dreamworks and Universal titles to the Blu release schedules.

.. and yes, I, Robot is awful...

I'd better stop. The very mention of the I, Robot movie makes me agitated. Sorry for picking on your movie, Romier.

Hardly a need to apologize and its far from "my" movie. I don't LOVE it, I can just watch it and be entertained is all. It's not great, but I've enjoyed it in the past and I'm surely not apologizing for liking what I like.;)

:lol

Changing gears, I watched The Mist tonight. Boy do I wish the film was getting an HD release. Talk about a fucked up, kick you in teeth ending! Great, great film though. Some of the effects were less than stellar but the story is so engrossing and the atmosphere so bleak that you are willing to forgive its tiny flaws.