LCVG

Champions Online (360 & PC)

JTello

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SUPER excited (pun intended, barf!) for this one, just because I'm praying Cryptic takes the lessons they learned from City of Heroes and can really turn it into the superhero MMO of everyone's dreams with Champions. One nice thing for them is that Champions already comes with a rich history to tap into, so the "lore" is already in place. They also realize that half the fun of CoH was costume design and are making oodles of options for that, PLUS you get to design the look of your powers, which I think is a brilliant bit of customization.

With a more engaging quest structure and a better interface, Champions could really be CoH taken to the next level, and I'm hoping Cryptic comes through in the end.

Hoping this one is as cool as it *could* be... I really liked CoH/CoV but, the formula got old after a while (a few years to be fair) :) I also felt like you couldn't really solo effectively after lvl 25 or so. It would be nice to see better balance between grouping and solo - especially within this genre.

I am SUPER excited (pun intended, barf!) for this one, just because I'm praying Cryptic takes the lessons they learned from City of Heroes and can really turn it into the superhero MMO of everyone's dreams with Champions.

To be honest, I'd feel better if it was the folks that stayed on after the NcSoft buyout handling Champions. I've been playing CoH and CoV since their releases and as soon as NcSoft announced they had purchased the rights to the City of games the amount of fixes/changes that were added was unreal! Things that Cryptic said were not possible suddenly became possible, bugs that we were told were unfixable suddenly became fixed!

Granted this could have been Cryptic focusing on Marvel (now Champions) and leaving the City of franchise on the back burner, but I'm also reminded everytime I login to CoV just how badly Cryptic screwed up the game (i.e. PvP).

So, while my expectations are a lot lower than they normally would be, I'll still be checking Champions out and will be happy to have my expectations exceeded.

I also felt like you couldn't really solo effectively after lvl 25 or so. It would be nice to see better balance between grouping and solo - especially within this genre.

Did you play much CoV? Soloing in CoV is very easy compared to CoH as all of the AT's in CoV are offensive based. Of my 3 level 50 villians, while I did team from time-to-time, I could have soloed the entire way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm really excited about this game. The more I see, the more I like it. Beyond the obviously awesome customizable costumes/powers/etc., I think the thing that is most exciting to me is the real-time action RPG combat. Or as the Champions Online website says "Hi-Octane Excitement: Champions Online delivers furious, fast-paced encounters previously reserved for action and fighting games. No more boring auto attacks and lengthy recharge times. Champions Online combat is instantaneous ? and electrifying!" I had read that the Champions Online combat is more player skill-based like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance vs. the typical RPG dice-roll-based combat. After very little innovation since the days of Everquest, I think MMORPG combat could use something different like this.

• 2 months later...

we just started playing this in my monday night gaming group. The pen and paper version of course. Got an email from one of the guys in the group about the beta so I got myself signed up for that has well.

In my monday night group I made a rockstar who has pysoinc blasts from his guitar.

• 5 months later...

So I was reading an article that 1Up has posted about something Bill Roper said about Champions (borrowed the Warhammer quest system - April fools joke? I don't know). At the end of the article it mentioned a release date of June 2 for Champions. Has anyone seen anything that could back this date up? I guess if the article was a joke then the date may be meaningless, but this is one title a few people I know will be interested in.

EDIT: Oh, and since no one asked (hmm, there may be a reason...) has anyone heard some first-hand impressions of the beta?

Oh, and since no one asked (hmm, there may be a reason...) has anyone heard some first-hand impressions of the beta?

Participants of the beta are under NDA, I believe, which is why there's not much talk about it online. I'm not in the beta but what Joey said matches what I've heard too.