LCVG

Suda 51's new Nintendo Wii title - No More Heroes

Romier S

• 4 months later...

Some new information is finally available on the title now known as "No More Heroes" from Suda 51. IGN has an article up detailing gameplay points right here:

No More Heroes preview

No More Heroes takes place in the city of Santa Destroy, which is designed to look like a big city in the Western United States. You're free to explore the town to your liking, taking on missions large and small to collect money and purchase new weapons, although the game's storyline progresses only when you take on big killing jobs from the UAA. Your day begins in your motel room, where you change your clothes and get ready for a day out on the town. You can walk around town if you like, or you can speed around on your futuristic Schpeltiger motor bike.

Travis's clothing has special signifigance in the game. Travis is a big anime geek, so his shirts tend to sport anime-style witch characters. You'll also find wrestler and fighter designs. Grasshopper drafted Okama, the character designer for the opening of the recent Japanese television hit Densha Otoko, to create over 100 t-shirt designs.

T-shirts aside, No More Heroes is all about using your Beam Katana to defeat enemies. When fighting, you position the Wiimote facing up, centered, or facing down in order to move Travis into one of three fighting positions. To perform standard attacks, you repeatedly press the A button.

The game makes more direct use of the controller in some situations. When performing finishing moves, you're required to swing the controller in accordance with on-screen prompts. You're also required to shake the controller to power up your Beam Katana's energy meter.

Japanese release date is Summer '07. Here's a new scan of the game:

[ATTACH]2539[/ATTACH]

1up.com also has a preview along with a few new screens I've posted below:

No More Heroes 1up.com Preview

[ATTACH]2540[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2541[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2542[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2543[/ATTACH]

When fighting, you position the Wiimote facing up, centered, or facing down in order to move Travis into one of three fighting positions. To perform standard attacks, you repeatedly press the A button.

Wait. The weapon is a katana, you're holding the wiimote, and you still have to hit the A button to attack?! But... why?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I suppose I'm the only one picking this up tommorrow then? Is anyone actually aware this releases tommorrow?:) If not, you should be as the reviews and word of mouth have been extremely positive. I'm dying to play it really since I've been starved for a good action adventure game since blazing through the holiday catalog of titles. Here's Gametrailers review for those interested:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29844.html

I was also keenly aware of this game's impending release this week. As a fan of Killer 7, I'm quite interested in Suda 57's new title. That video review from Game Trailers helped get me excited for it. It looks like a lot of fun.

The big question for me is when am I going to get a chance to play it? I have several games already on my backlog and it's taking me longer than I like to get through them all. Aw hell, I might have to try and finish off Trauma Center: New Blood tonight.

I'm getting it, just having a real bitch of a time finding it.

The salesbot at EB kept saying Feb.1st, even though the US EB site clearly has it in stock. And none of the FutureShops or BestBuys in the area have it near as I can tell, since it isn't even listed on their website.

Ditto for Amazon.ca.

So, as soon as all these little issues are ironed out and the damn game appears for me, I will have it ;).

GameSpot loved it. Yeah, yeah, GS is teh bias, etc.

This is the mature Wii action title you've been waiting for, and there's nothing else quite like it.

A fairly standard play-through will probably net you around 12 hours of gameplay your first time through, though you could blow through it quicker if your goal is simply to get to the end as quickly as possible. But even with the element of surprise removed, the fantastic combat is more than enough reason to revisit No More Heroes. This time, SUDA-51 has delivered a game that can match its absurd premise with equally stimulating gameplay, making for one of the most unique and satisfying action games in recent memory.

BTW, in a nod to Ico, the savegame mechanic is to do a specific location "action". Unlike Ico, it's not sitting on a bench, it's taking a crap on the toilet.

Just played through the first hour of No More Heroes. The first hour takes you through an extremely helpful tutorial (and you'll want to go through it) as well as your first assasination kill of your competition. It sets up the story and characters you'll be interacting with all while letting you spill all kinds of insane amounts of blood:). To the point - the game is just plain fun. It has a wonderful sense of style, an extremely oddball sense of humor and some GREAT integration with the Wiimote. Once you get used to how combat works you'll fall in love with tearing the crap of enemies. Little additions like cellphone calls coming through the Wiimote speaker (hence forcing you to hold it up to your ear) just add to the atmosphere of it all.

It's early as hell but I'm dying to dive back into the game see what the hub world of Santa Destroy has in store for me.

Sidenote: There's a nice little extra for fans of Lumines fans right in the first cutscene after you kill

Death Metal

. You can hear "Heavenly Star" playing the background as Travis talks with Sylvia.

Completely over the top violence. Totally self-referential, breaking the 4th wall regularly, tons of 8-bit retro style in the presentation, tons of otaku-baiting references, and done with such panache. And the gameplay rocks too.

The combat mechanics are relatively straightforward - two stances, two attacks (that can be charged), blocking, lockon etc - though the simplicity is deceptive & some nice interactions are layered on top of it.

I'm really enjoying this. Someone compared it to Kill Bill & I think that's a good launching point - Suda 51 has brought parody, razor-sharp focus & love to the genre in a similar fashion to Tarantino.