LCVG

Guilty Pleasure Games...

Anthony G

Inspired by jhfagans thread about movies. A couple that come to mind for me:

1) Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddlers Green (Xbox) - Buggy as hell, but fun none the less. It was released at the bargain basement price of $19.99.

2) Constantine (Xbox) - I thought it was damn good for a movie-to-game adaptation.

3) Enter the Matrix (xbox) - I don't know if it was because I'm a huge fan of the film, but I thought it was fun.

Anyone else?

Can't really think of anything I played that was poorly rated or generally looked upon by most people as subpar. I do have 1 game I can consider a guilty pleasure though:

*Gears of War multiplayer - Yes I know. It is a highly rated and well known game. However the multiplayer has TONS of game breaking issues yet for some reason I "tortured" myself for months playing it on a regular basis. There are too many little glitchy bug type issues to list. Lack of client side hit detection means unless you are the host you will be dealing with major latency issues. However it was and is something different than the usual FPS. When the bugs and latency issues aren't completely pissing you off the game can be a ton of fun. Never before have I kept going back to a game that could piss me off so much on a regular basis. :) So ya I reluctantly admit I played GOW multiplayer much more than I should have when it first came out and thus it can be considered a guilty pleasure for me.

One of the most surprising games that I enjoyed in recent years was Chibi-Robo on the GameCube. The game features essentially no action whatsoever. Its cast consists of weird characters that only a Japanese developer could produce. If that weren't enough, its central play mechanic involves cleaning up messes left by the ungrateful family that owns your metal ass.

There's no reason for me to enjoy this game, and yet I found myself drawn to complete it not once, but twice. I guess its laid back nature won me over. It's nice to play something every now and then that doesn't involve killing everything you encounter. I also liked just exploring the house from the vantage point of a six-inch tall robot. You could find something interesting in just about every nook and cranny. And even though I've found everything there was to find in this little game, I can't help but wonder where the hell this family's bathroom was. Unlockable level perhaps?

I updated my first post with Enter the Matrix. Another guilty pleasure.

Evil Dead Regeneration(xbox)- A hit with many LCVG members, not a hit in sales

Loved this game too. Bruce Campbell rocks.

Same with Gunvalkyrie on the Xbox. It was slaughtered for its offbeat control scheme (that's the damned point!) but I loved every minute of it.

Another case of reviewers not putting in the time. Once you had the controls down, you could kick serious ass in the game.

Ok I thought of a better "guilty pleasure".

*Trespasser - A physics system that was ahead of its time, big open world to explore, graphics were pretty damn good if you had the PC to run it, and the sound was really good. I had alot of fun just messing around with the physics in the game world. Stacking boxes, trying to climb them, throwing a basketball into a hoop, etc. Just silly stuff but these were things that were pretty much never before possible in a video game. I could see the potential for physics based gameplay in future games especially as hardware got faster. Oh ya and the dinos looked pretty damned impressive too. The first time I ran into a Brachasauras I was quite impressed by the scale and movement of the dino. The first time I gunned down a Velocaraptor it was quite thrilling. In fact one of the most memorable moments in the game for me was when I was being chased by a Velocaraptor. I wound up climbing in top of a down chopper. As the chopped creaked and teetered back and forth as my weight shifted it about I noticed the raptor was right below me and trying to strike. It creeped me out and I walked back a bit causing the cockpit to raise slightly. As I dropped off the chopper the cockpit came crashing down right onto the raptors head killing it instantly. It was then when I truely fell in love with the game. :) Anyway in short the game was a definate case of love it or hate it as the reviews clearly demonstrated. Game Over Online had the overall most possitive review giving it a 92% rating (http://www.game-over.net/review/october/trespasser/index.html). Their review pretty much summed up how I felt about the game. On the other end of the spectrum you had sites like Gamespot giving it a lowely 39% (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=252911) stating it was full of bugs, had boring gameplay, etc. Overall Trespasser averaged a 57% review score according to Gamerankings.com. Shame more people didn't give it a chance.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing through many of the Pac Man World games and Frogger adventure games.

The frogger games in particular are lots of fun for playing "die, give it" with the kids, but the difficulty can ramp up unexpectedly leading to a lot of frustration.

Carlos.

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Mine would have to be City of Lost Children, a bad adventure based on the great movie that came out for PlayStation (1). I love the movie so much that I still pop it in sometimes just to play around.

Advance Wars (all of 'em across different handhelds.)

Not that the games are bad, but the amount of time I have sunk into each is truly embarassing. A little group of kiddie tactic games that I just cannot walk away from.

Unfortunately, not much else. I love bad movies, but I can't stand bad games. If I realize a game sucks 2 hours in, I just cannot finish it. Too many great games to waste on the silly ones.

PS - I am playing Culdcept Saga right now. I don't know, a little embarassing but it is a decent game...