LCVG

HD tuner help

Cyberwoo

So here is the deal. My Dad is getting rid of Comcast cable. Hiis tv does not have an HD tuner built into it (its a 50" Sony 3LCD). Anyway with no cable, dish, etc to recieve and process an HD signal he is wanting to just go the antenna route which will require the purchase of a standalone HD tuner. Has anyone had experience with these? He spotted a DVD recorder with a built in HD tuner in it which peeked his interest. He could use a dvd recorder and if it has a HD tuner that kills 2 birds with 1 stone. However I know that their are probably bad HD tuners and good ones so I hesitate to buy anything without asking around. I imagine he wants to keep the price pretty low (below $200?). I haven't had much luck researching this on the net simply because most if not all HDTV's now days have HD tuners built in to them so its a very nitche market. Help much appriciated! Thanks.

I've had my HD tuner for AGES! Mine is a Toshiba (!!!) and still works like a charm, especially during football season. It's more the signal strength rather than cheaply made equipment, as far as I've read lately. Is he going indoor or outdoor antenna. Mine is a cheap indoor one and gets great signal up in the HT but does POORLY downstairs on the spare HDTV.

I'm not sure if he is going indoor or outdoor. I'll be seeing him later tonight so I'll ask. I did a quicky search for HD tuner on amazon.com and sorted by bestselling to get an idea of what to look for. I got this page:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=hd+tuner&rs=172282&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Ahd+tuner&sort=pmrank

The Samsung DTBH260F HDTV Terrestrial Receiver looks decent enough. I'll look around some more but the price looks right and Samsung is a good brand. Any suggestions on good quality antennas?

Man, they are SO much cheaper than when I got mine! But the antenna brand doesn't mean much unless it's indoor or outdoor. For downstairs, I would go with a powered antenna, and I've gone through 3 (thank GOD my kid is old enough to stop busting the antennas!), all different virtually no-name brands, and if he has close in neighbors it may take a bit of adjusting to get a strong enough signal. People swear by the Terk brand antenna, but they are pricey to me. I've never paid more than $15.

I forgot that he already bought an antenna and it is an outdoor one. He had bought it thinking that is all he needed to recieve HD channels to his tv because he didn't realize his tv was without an HD tuner. Anyway when I explained to him that he won't be able to record HD content without a DVR type of box (because the size of HD material wont fit on DVD) he seemed kind of disapointed at the whole idea. At this point I think he just kind of throws up his hands and curses technology in general. :) He is now finding out that Comcast has many people by the balls because there just isn't any competition out here although Verizon FIOS is coming soon. He like myself is just tired of paying Comcast so much money for the little tv that he watches. They continue to up their monthly fees and it just gets anoying. At this point I'm not sure where he is going. I recommended the Samsung HD tuner but I think he will miss being able to watch his recorded Letterman shows in HD. Maybe he will wind up getting it and just recording standard def material on VHS for the time being. *shrug*

• 1 month later...

I never realized how much Comcast compresses their HD channels until I saw my Dad's new HD feed from an outdoor antenna picking up local HD channels. They had American Idol playing and it looked great. Very clean looking image. Can't wait for Verizon FIOS to become available in my area. Uncompressed HD + symetrical (15 Mbps/15 Mbps) super fast internet = tasty.

FIOS TV still uses compression on their channels tough; do you mean no recompression?

Symetrical internet is about $70 dollars in the area I'm about to move to. Not sure I need that much. I think I'll be happy with the 5 down/2 up plan for $48 which is the same price as cable which I'm paying right now, which offers 6 down/512K uploads.