LCVG

South Park Season 12 Discussion

Graeme

Season 12 starts..... tomorrow!! That's crept up on me pretty quickly.

New episodes will all be available uncensored on iTunes, XBox Live and Amazon Unbox, which is kinda cool

This weeks episode:

The face of South Park could change forever when Eric Cartman is diagnosed with an incurable disease in the premiere episode, entitled ?Tonsil Trouble.? When the support Cartman is counting on falls short, he has to take matters into his own hands.

Also, Imginationland was released on DVD today. It contains all three episodes from trilogy cut together, uncensored and with a few extra bits that didn't air. Also included are a few storyboards, 2 related bonus episodes (Woodland Critter Cristmas and Manbearpig) and commentary from Matt and Trey.

I just got finished listening to the commentary, and it thankfully is not just a commentary mini. They actually talk for a good chunk of the show (all the way through episodes 1 and 2 and stop soon after episode 3 starts).

At the very beginning they explain that whenever they do longer commentaries they get in trouble because they usually end up saying something that gets them in trouble, so this time if they start talking about something they shouldn't the South Park theme music will start to play..... and then cut to "So lets talk about about Tom Cruise...*Music Plays*.... raping babies. I guess it works".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back and watching the first season now is probably a bigger shock than watching the first season of Simpsons or.... playing the original GTA. It was soooo tame compared to what they do now, the stories are much more complex and better written and the animation really has improved leaps and bounds over... at least for paper cutout characters.

Still I do sometimes miss seeing Kenny die every episode (or actually just seeing Kenny might be more like it), hearing a song from chef, and Mr. Hat.

Daniel,

It looks like it may be easier for you get your South Park fix out there in the UK now. South Park Studios now has full length episodes for viewing from all 12 seasons. Here's what Trey and Matt had to say about the move:

When asked about the launch of the new site, Stone and Parker said, "We got really sick of having to download our own show illegally all the time so we gave ourselves a legal alternative."

Additionally, it sounds as if new episodes will be online short after their original air date, although the details of that are a bit confusing:

Due to contractual obligations, all new episodes will be available as soon as possible after they premiere on COMEDY CENTRAL and remain available for seven days. These episodes will return to the site permanently 30 days after they premiere.

I'm not sure I understand what the hell they're saying here. The shows will go up for seven days after they air, get taken off the site and then reappear within 30 days? Or are they just not going to appear until 30 days after they first air?

Well, whatever. I figured it was worth mentioning.

I think it means the show will be online after they premiere, remain for seven days, get taken off for 3 weeks and then re-appear permanently 30 days after the original Comedy Central Premiere.

My guess would be that they're doing this to allow airing of re-runs for a few weeks after the premiere (which they do) without competition from the website.

I would also be surprised if it's not locked out for people outside of the US.

Edit: The current Full Episodes Link says "Sorry Canada: Full Episodes Soon"

Daniel,

It looks like it may be easier for you get your South Park fix out there in the UK now. South Park Studios now has full length episodes for viewing from all 12 seasons.

I noticed that the other day. Amusingly however, in a twist on what Graeme got, if I go to click one of the videos a pop up window appears with an image of the Queen on her throne (as she was depicted on South Park naturally) with the message ?Sorry England. Full episodes soon.? I?d imagine when they do come access to the latest season may be locked out if they are bound by contractual rights to wait until they have aired on TV here [i don?t even know who airs it in the UK. Paramount Comedy Channel I think, but whoever it is it?s a satellite/cable station I have no access to].

Graeme, if I get a notice with the Queen about episodes not being available yet, what image do you see in Canada?

Tonight's episode sounds rather fun. It's a homage to the film 'Heavy Metal.'

The Canada Strikes episode was alright, but probably my least favorite of the season so far. Maybe I just didn't feel that Canada and the writers strike were a good parallel.

I think that?s why I liked it, because it?s just such a ludicrous concept. I got a great laugh out of the repetition of the ?I?m not your friend, guy? thing, a brief callback to Cartman's hatred for Family Guy and the Butters song. The Youtube stars sequence lost me a bit though as I was lost on who they were referencing as I?m not entirely hip to these things, but gratuitous South Park violence is rarely a bad thing.

The Canada Strikes episode was alright, but probably my least favorite of the season so far. Maybe I just didn't feel that Canada and the writers strike were a good parallel.

Really? I thought it was a great parallel. Canada goes on strike and no one in the world gives a shit. The same goes for the WGA. Besides, I just love watching the Canadians and their flip top heads getting all pissed off at the rest of the world all the time, eh?

So far, I've really enjoyed this season. Parker and Stone have made some consistently goods episodes so far. I'm not sure if we'll see an episode that will stand out as a fan favorite this year (like "Cartoon Wars" or the "Imaginationland" trilogy), but I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far.