LCVG

Toughest Games to Beat

Anthony G

I read a feature on IGN about the Top 10 Toughest Games to Beat. For some reason it is listed under the gamecube section but it's about the top 10 overall games across platforms. Their list is:

#10 - Ninja Gaiden Black

#9 - Devil May Cry 3

#8 - Battletoads

#7 - R-Type

#6 - MDK2

#5 - Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts

#4 - F-Zero GX

#3 - Shinobi

#2 - Mega Man

#1 - Contra

So which of these have you beaten? What games would you put in your top 10 list? I only own NGB but still have to play it. COD2 veteran mode would be the toughest game I have ever beaten.

I've played a few of those but never owned or beaten any.

One tough old bitch I remember is 'Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge' on the SNES.

More recently, Over-G Fighters' "Hell Mode" is the most painful thing I've played through.

The only game on that list I played is MDK2 and I don't remember if I beat it or not. Just remember liking the MDK games alot.

MDK2 was atrociously hard. It was tuned for the testers, a classic game developer mistake - make the game increasingly harder in development because your testers/designers (the guys most familiar with the game) find it too easy as development progresses. Duh.

The only games from that list that I played with any voracity were Battletoads, Super Ghouls and Ghosts and F-Zero GX. I don't remember how far I got in F-Zero but I know I didn't finish it. Battletoads and Super Ghouls haunt me though. I played those two games sooooo much that to not have finished them just kills me.

Battletoads was easily one of my favorite games on NES and I got really good at it, especially the speeder level that most people cite as being so hard. Even still I was never able get by the last of the Rat Race levels.... and that damn swimming level with all the spikes just killed me.

Super Ghouls was the first game for SNES I got after Mario World and I loved it. I could get through the game, get through it the second time (could you imagine if a game today did that to you?) but could NEVER beat the last boss on the second go through. ARGH!

Another game that I played a shit tonne that most people consider pretty hard is Punch Out. Most kids I knew growing up loved that game, but I think I bordered on obsessed. I knew one guy that tried to convince me that Mike was actually impossible to beat, but I knew better since I had done it, and had put on a few demonstrations for my friends.

I haven't done it in a LOOONG time though. Whenever I play it now I tend to get frustrated with Sandman or Macho Man.

Of the games on that list, I've beaten Ninja Gaiden Black (on Normal and Hard difficulty), Battletoads, Mega Man, and Contra (without the Konami Code too!). I have played F-Zero GX extensively, but I cannot beat the story levels on anything but Normal difficulty, and even that's a hell of an accomplishment.

MDK2 was atrociously hard. It was tuned for the testers, a classic game developer mistake - make the game increasingly harder in development because your testers/designers (the guys most familiar with the game) find it too easy as development progresses. Duh.

Ya its been called a "gamers game" and I can see why. I do recall some really difficult moments in the game. I'd like to revisit the game but I gave away my Dreamcast ages ago.

Soon as I saw that list, I knew the 'toads would show up. Lordy I have fond/bad memories of that game. The rat race levels always killed my cousin - he was the one who could get furthest in it out of the two of us. Years later he tried it, yet again, on an emulator and even with the save states couldn't get through it :P.

The hardest game I can think of that I played in recent memory was probably Scurge Hive. And most of the game wasn't that hard, but the damn end boss was a brutal throw-down of the old school style, even with your character maximally equipped and decked out. I'm sure I tried it a dozen times before beating it and it was incredibly satisfying when I did, even though my wife nearly killed me because I wouldn't stop yelling after the fifth or sixth time trying it. Only game I had to put down for a day and come back to because I could feel my blood pressure rising :tu

Battletoads was an ass-kicker for sure. Never did get past the levels with the spikes.

I dropped DMC3 because it was too tough and I didn't have the patience at the time to duke it out. Might pick up the SE someday and continue playing it.

I know I beat Mega Man 2 just a few years back, but I don't think I've fully played MM1

One more to add I remember having a difficult time is the first Ninja Turtles game. Not only was the game hard, but it sucked, making playing it even more difficult.

It might even be that platform with the gap that you could just walk across instead of jump that annoyed me :)

These guys must've never played Space Hulk:Vengeance of the Blood Angels, for the 3DO. It was STUPID HARD!!! :bh:td:(

One of the few games I totally gave up on beating, especially when moving into the last levels (I think), the only way I ever beat some of them was when the game fucked up and all the enemies just stood there frozen!!

Never managed to beat all of battletoads, but I could get by the turbo tunnel pretty consistently. I think the problem with that game was that there was so much trial/error gameplay at work, and it took so long to get to a particular point that you never really got that many tries at the later game levels. Still one of the best on the NES though, and a damn shame that there hasn't been a follow up.

I'd also rank the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES as harder than the Xbox version, if only for those fucking birds...

Ok, so all of our memories still work. But what about this-gen? What has been your biggest challenge on current-gen games?

Have there even been any "impossible" current-gen games? Or has the industry adjusted the difficulty in the hopes of making them more accessible? Or, is it because older games usually had no difficulty settings?

Carlos.

Ok' date=' so all of our memories still work. But what about this-gen? What has been your biggest challenge on current-gen games?

Have there even been any "impossible" current-gen games? Or has the industry adjusted the difficulty in the hopes of making them more accessible? Or, is it because older games usually had no difficulty settings?

Carlos.[/quote']

Isn't everything impossible for you, old man?

One current-gen game that continues to make me feel stupid, without cranking the difficulty, is FIFA 08. I need to read a guide to make sure I'm not missing something obvious, but the game seems super hard.

I think Lost Planet on the crazy hard mode (unlocked after you beat it) deserves a mention. Absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if I've ever played anything else that made me give up so quickly, thinking "Not possible."

I agree with Guitar Hero 3, that one is just stupidly hard..... but not for everyone. Guitar Hero is the kind of game that really just requires an aptitude. There are lots of people that can breeze right through it and the difficulty comes in mastering the songs on expert (get 100% on songs and such) where as other people who might play almost as much struggle through medium and see Hard as this impossible challenge.

Current Gen as a whole though is harder to judge because there are difficulty settings and unlimited continues and saves, and the games are designed around that. Battletoads is hard game, but it's not a 20 hour extravaganza like some of todays game are, its difficulty lies in having to start all over when you run out of lives.

If I told you to finish Halo on on it's hardest, or even second hardest difficulty and only die 3 times, it would be considered pretty damn hard I'm sure.

You could put many arcade games on there too. I recently finished Donkey Kong using like 1000 reloads of save states. I would consider that to be even harder than Battletoads or most of the games on there, but that is also a little unfair because most arcade games were never designed to be beaten.

honestly, nothing as of late stands out as hard as those older games. I can say that "last gen", as in xbox, I never could get past "the gauntlet" on Breakdown. Damn near the end and I just could not beat it!!!

Speaking of how the older games seem harder, I had just downloaded Tempest and was giving it a whirl for old times sake. It proceeded to hand me my ass repeatedly as I sat there and thought to myself, "aren't today games supposed to be more challenging"?

Guess not!!!