LCVG

February 2008 NPD

dogbert

Taken from GAF:

SW totals were $668.7M!!!! That's an increase of 47% over last years historic number.

The hardware is stellar as well. Units were up 19% to over 2.1M systems combined (and that's compared to last year which was up 60% over the prior year). The "less technically advanced" systems were phenomenal. DS, PS2, & Wii all showed remarkable level of sales. 360 & PS3 sold quite well and there sales are quite respectable, but compared to the other systems don't seem to impress quite as much.

Hardware

PlayStation 2 351.8K

PlayStation 3 280.8K

PlayStation Portable 243.1K

Xbox 360 254.6K

Nintendo DS 587.6K

Wii 432K

Top 10 SW

Top-Selling VG Software - February 2008

RELEASE TOTAL U.S. RANK

TITLE PUBLISHER DATE UNITS

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1

360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3

PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4

WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5

NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6

360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7

360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9

360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

Surprised at Turok & Lost Odyssey, I imagine they'll disappear next month.

More numbers (approximate, from SimExchange...)?

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) 50,300

No More Heroes (Wii) 37,000

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii) 15,000

WipEout Pulse (PSP) 10,000

I really don't mean to start anything, but I will gladly say that I prefer the 360 for my gaming. As such, it is good to see that Devil May Cry 4 on the 360 out sold the PS3 version. Hopefully the hardware numbers will get closer (or even back to having the 360 on top) in the coming months.

As has been said before:

- How do they sell over half a million DSes????

- For selling almost 500,000 Wiis, I still have only seen them in store twice that I can think of.

As such, it is good to see that Devil May Cry 4 on the 360 out sold the PS3 version.

Considering the disparity in install base - not by much. It's great that the title sold on the 360 but it shows the right property is going to sell well on the PS3.

Hopefully the hardware numbers will get closer (or even back to having the 360 on top) in the coming months.

I'll ditto the earlier question and add my own - why and who cares? The 360 isn't going anywhere and you can feel free to have whatever preference you like. The PS3 finally showing healthy gains and expanding its install base is a *good* thing for industry.

Side note: Glad to see Lost Odyssey garner some success. Especially after the disappointing sales of Blue Dragon on its intial release. Lost Odyssey is quite good.

I guess I am just rooting for Microsoft to end up the clear winner in the next-gen console "war" (or #2 if you count the Wii). It may be fickle, but that is just my opinion. I am not trying to sway anyone to one side or the other - in fact, I own a PS3 and find it to be an impressive piece of hardware.

I'll agree with what Romier says - competition between the 360 and PS3 is good for the business. And I guess that is partly why I want the 360 to regains some sales momentum. The longer the competition is close, the better games and prices we as consumers should see. Someone has to be the sales leader - I just hope it ends up the 360. I won't be crushed if it goes the other way.

I also expected someone to say that the difference in sales numbers for DMC4 was not that spectacular. There really is no denying that. With the install base of the 360 being, domestically at least, quite a bit more than that of the PS3, a difference of ~60k units isn't anything huge. Still, for a title that is historically linked to Sony to do better on the 360 could end up being significant. It may help drive other Sony-exclusive titles (MGS, FF) to the 360, which for someone like me who prefers to play on the 360 would be a good thing.

I think it is a fair aspiration to hope for the continued success of the 360 against the PS3. Simply because it is bad for consumers if the market recedes back to a state where there is one clear dominant platform with the rest struggling to stay afloat. This entire generation, the threat of the PS3 hitting its stride and the 360 collapsing into a second fiddle insignificant platform has always been there. Microsoft can't keep investing in the Xbox brand forever. If the PS3 overtakes the Xbox as the preferred platform for publishers and consumers, then "Xbox is teh doomed" could be an eventual possibility. And that will not be good for gamers.

That is why I hope Microsoft has a better year against Sony than seems to be ramping up. The Wii has great sales, but I don't consider it a great platform for me, the gamer. And the PS3 has a great brand and this nifty Blu-ray capability but I don't consider it, right now, to be an idea platform that suits all my gaming needs. I like a market where Sony and Nintendo try to reach parity with the 360. I think that is a great market. But I have reservations about the Wii or the Blu-ray machine setting the standard for success.

I don't consider this to be fanboyism. Just perhaps an odd perspective on the console wars.

I'd like to see MS win this gen over Sony (I don't think anyone will catch up to Nintendo, hardware-wise) simply because I do not want to see the next round of consoles again be these mega-powerful $400-$600 monstrosities. What do we have next round, $500-$800? The rising costs and the "my e-penis is bigger than yours" mentality has become very expensive.

I think playing second fiddle for a generation or two will be good for Sony's humility. Being top of the heap for too long breeds arrogance and some bad decision making.

It sure was for Nintendo, after all. They took their dose of humble pie since the rise of the PS1 and it did them better as a company.

I don't even like MS. :lol

I'd like to see MS win this gen over Sony (I don't think anyone will catch up to Nintendo, hardware-wise) simply because I do not want to see the next round of consoles again be these mega-powerful $400-$600 monstrosities. What do we have next round, $500-$800? The rising costs and the "my e-penis is bigger than yours" mentality has become very expensive.

My gut tells me Microsoft's next console is likely to be one of those "$400-$600 monstrosities" you just mentioned. The success of the Elite is a nice test balloon for MS. The machines aren't going to get any *less* complicated, and as the "Nintendo generation" gets older, richer, and has more disposable income, it will be more willing to pay those kind of prices for what is, let's face it, something of an electronic luxury item. You don't see 20- and 30-somethings driving Jaguars too often.

I really don't care who is #1 this generation, if it's the Wii... there will still always be need for the $400 console for us gamers that don't get thrilled by the Wii stuff. I don't think Wii's domination will even matter to Sony or Microsoft, they will still want to be the "most powerful" on the block. Which is fine with me.

My only gripe with the 360 is that I'm on my 3rd one, and after having it just 2 weeks, I'm getting DRE's, and the console itself will NEVER stop spinning. This in a new one for me, my other 360's never did this. When the 360 actually stops spinning, I just hold my breath cause I know a lock-up is about to occur... sometimes it comes back, most of the time, not. I assume I'll be on #4 soon. This is the only reason I would possibly hope Sony reaps #1, just because they took their time to give the customer hardware that works. Microsoft STILL can't even fix the 360 flaws... repaired ones still break, new Elites still break... that's the main issue I have with them. Never had a single issue with my Ps3.

That being said, I do most of my gaming on the 360, so I'm not biased one way or the other.

T.

I'm glad to see the PS3 do so well in sales the past two months. Now that people know Blu-Ray has won the war, I'm sure this trend will continue. I'm really wanting the PS3 and the 360 to be pretty equal in sales and both successful. I think that's what's best for the industry and for multi-console owners.

As has been said before, I think the 360 needs to drop their price soon in order to stay in the game. I bought an Elite last month, and once you add in the wireless adapter it's not that much cheaper then a PS3 and doesn't even include a blu-ray player. Microsoft has a good start on this generation, but I don't think they can beat the PS3 anymore just by saying "look at our game library!"

I do most of my gaming on the X360 (discounting the DS, which actually gets equal time due to Advance Wars), but I for one am starting to hope that these lower sales continue. MS held all the cards for over a year there and they pissed them away. They need to shape up ASAP and get the 360 viable again: lower the price by at least $50, fix the damn broken pieces in hardware, and make sure that a refurbished unit is 2x as good as a new unit (as far as reliability.) I love their games, but they are bound and determined to finish 3rd no matter what it takes. XBL is a great example. They either need to stop charging $50 a year and make money off commission of digital goods sold, or lower the prices on goods, have dedicated servers available for big games, and have a lot more freebies. Splitting it both ways just strikes me as greedy and ultimately foolish.

Sony on the other hand was dealing with a crap hand at launch. The PS3 was too expensive, not powerful enough to justify that price gap, and had lost many of its crown jewel franchises. In a year they were able to redesign the console to cut the price almost in half (!!!), ramp up their online offering to semi-parity with XBL, and have started securing exclusive titles that will actually move consoles at retail. I can't believe they pulled off the price reduction so quickly, but they did.

Nintendo, well, don't worry about Nintendo. I don't think they could throw this generation if they tried...

ramp up their online offering to semi-parity with XBL, and have started securing exclusive titles that will actually move consoles at retail.

Actually IMO they had many exclusive titles that should have sold more consoles in the last year like Uncharted,Resistance, Ratchet, etc.... which didn't happen. That i agree with

The part about offering a semi-parity to XBL is still not close yet. Since Uncharted came out, I've been playing a good deal of games on the PS3 (Uncharted, NG Sigma, MLB the Show, Eye of Judgement, Motorstorm, Ratchet, etc.) and I get so damn frustrated at sony's online service still. All third party games don't support the universal feature set of friends list, voice chat. Most of the Sony release titles do, but some still don't have basic features we have become used to on Live.. MLB the show this year for example has voice chat problems, non integrated friends list etc. They need to get on the ball with this. Having to drop to the XMB to send a message is worthless, as half the time the other person has entered another game by the time you send the message. Hell Ill pay sony $50 a year if it helps to get this shit going quicker. They say it's coming. It may come this summer with this update they are talking about. I only hope it does. I can't say its on par with XBL until these basic things are fixed.

As for the sales numbers. 360 will beat PS3 in march (VGchartz may be off on software a lot, but their hardware numbers have been spot on for the past 6 months). And we will see a flip flop back and forth during the year during price cuts. Neither console is doomed. Both are selling good numbers of hardware, both are selling games(ps3 more now finally). Nobody is going anywhere with the growth the industry is seeing. I'm gonna go see is i can play a lag free game of SSBB for a change :-)

As for the sales numbers. 360 will beat PS3 in march

Even Microsoft have said they won't. They keep going on about supply constraints but I do believe the reality is they are stockpiling as many 360's as possible for an inevitable price drop to coincide with GTA4's release.

Speaking of GTA4, Microsoft is putting a whole lot of eggs into that basket and much like Devil May Cry - I wonder if there's a possibility that we'll end up with very little in the way of a sales difference between the two platforms. GTA has been released on Micrososft's platform in the past unlike DMC but there's no arguing that GTA has always been considered a "Playstation" title. I'm willing to bet that unless there is a price drop on the 360, the release of GTA will do a helluvalot more to move Sony's hardware than it will for Microsoft. Just a feeling...

The thing about the DMC4 numbers, on both systems the numbers don't add up. Didn't Capcom announce they sold 2 million copies world wide towards the end of Feb of the title?. Even if those were shipped numbers, it is still a big difference from the sold numbers NPD reported. There can't be that many copies (1 million ) of DMC just sitting on shelves

Why do you think that the 360 will beat the PS3 in March?

April is going to be massive for Sony. GT5 Prologue and GTA4. GT5 is going to be huge, especially with all of the new stuff added for the US release. I was thinking about holding off, but I am all over it now. :)

-Dean-

Going by VGChartz numbers for hardware(which they have been spot on the last 5-6 months for) 360 is ahead so far in March, as PS3 was ahead for every week of Jan/Feb. As I said before, their software numbers have ups and downs, but hardware they are good at.

Well, with Kojima complaining that a 50GB BD isn't enough for MGS4, I doubt you will see it on the 360 soon. :)

-Dean-

The reason you need all that extra space, is because the blu-ray drive reads are so slow that in order to get any decent speed all reads have to be sequential on disc. In order for all reads to be sequential they need to duplicate the data like crazy.