LCVG

Concert Photos

Rob B

Ok I got a concert I'm going to on tuesday, and I want to get good pics.

My question is this what setting do i want to use for my lil point and shoot camera.

I just went to one republic and the pics did not turn out as good as I would of liked.

s7300577ic8.jpg

as you can see

now towards the end of the show I was able to get ones like this, because i was able to place my camera on a ledge and used no flash.

s7300590wf3.jpg

this is what i would like for all my pics but not owning a tripod let alone getting into a concert venue with one here lies my prob.

If im holding the camera with the flash off they come out blurry of course.

So Im looking for advice on low light situations

from a distance with digtal zoom

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think a point and shoot is going to get you the results you want...

You're going to want an SLR with a bigger lens and the ability to take longer exposures.

I would consider using a film SLR for that type of setting too, but I hear that kind of thinking is going of of style. :)

I've shot a ton of concerts, and the secret is using a lens that has a wide aperture. A high ISO also helps.

Point and shoots are challenging to use for this type of shooting because their apertures are simply not wide enough to get enough light in the lens. To compensate, the shutter will stay open as long as it needs to to get the proper exposure. The downside is that this will lead to blurry photos as you said in your post. You did the right thing to put it on the ledge to take the shot.

There's not alot you can do, but a good technique is to hold the camera in front of your face with your elbows resting on your chest for support. Then take the shot and try to hold as steady as you can. I'd take a lot of shots. You're sure to get a few keepers.

• 2 weeks later...

What Cameron said about wide apertures is true. Wide apertures love low light.

But, also, there's a fundemental problem with lowlight shots of moving subjects when using a point-n-shoot and it's the size of the sensor in the camera. Generally speaking, the smaller the photosites, the more susceptible to noise the image is. Point-n-shoots have extremely small sensors with densely packed, tiny photosites. At high ISOs, or even moderately high ISOs like ~400, the resulting image becomes riddled with an artifact that looks like film noise.

In fact, Nikon just released a full-frame camera and, despite trends by their competitors, chose to keep the megapixel resolution "low" (12.1mp) even though full-frame sensors from other companies are now as high as 26mp(!). By going with larger, light-greedy photosites, Nikon has created a camera that is useable to ISO 25600!

The short of the long is that there isn't much you can do with a point-n-shoot in a harsh enviroment like lowlight settings that can overcome the physical limitation of their sensors' light catching ability.

You can better stabilize your camera and that will help some, but you are still not going to get the exposure speed high enough to catch a moving stageshow without cranking the ISO up - And cranking the ISO up beyond 200, in most cases, pushes the sensitivity of the sensor beyond what it's capable of doing without significant image deteriorization. So, the only way to keep the ISO down while exposing fast enough to get a sharp image would be to use a flash.

But, for me, flashes are a whole 'nother world of pain.

So, yeah, concerts are generally too much for point-n-shoots. Concerts are difficult subjects, period - even for SLRs. They generally require fast and expensive lenses to get a quality shot.