LCVG

1080 Projector or Plasma?

Jordan_E

So, the wife and I just started a personal challenge to each other for the next few months - if I lose 70 lbs. by Labor Day I can either get a new plasma for the bedroom or a 1080 projector for the HT. Anyone here have a 1080 projector? I have a 720 projector and want to make sure I will get that WOW! Factor if I move up. Don't want to spend 2K+ and go "meh" in the end. Since we have 2 Blu players and 2 HD DVD players, it would go good with a new plasma in the bedroom. Decisions. And I WILL lose that 70 lbs. by Labor Day! :tu

I don't think you're going to get WOW factor moving from 720p to 1080p no matter what.

But a big thing that aids in seeing the difference is screen size and seating position. I recently went from 14 feet away on a 56inch to 9 feet away with an 88 inch. In that circumstance, higher resolution is even more apparent.

But if you're not moving closer and getting a bigger screen I can't imagine moving from 720p to 1080p is going to WOW you.

I think the most interesting thing in your question is how you gloss over losing 70 pounds. Wholly crap. That is so much more important than home theater equipment.

I'm already set in my head about the 70 lbs. The projector/plasma is just the icing on the losing-the-weight cake. I've flirted with losing up to 25 lbs. in the past and just want to take it to the next level. Watching my calories and working out, the one thing that I really didn't get into recently; as long as my bad back holds up.

Been reading about moving from 720 to 1080 and most people state you do notice. Argh! My screen is 118" and I am sitting (probably too close, but my room is small) about 10 feet back.

LOL! We never start watching the bedroom TV until after 7PM on most nights. And at 46 (soon to be 47) with 11 years of marriage (and together 6 years before that) and a 5 year old running from room to room non-stop... there isn't much nocturnal anything happening other than sleep! :D

I haven't done the 720p to 1080p jump yet. Probably next time I need a bulb (just replaced yesterday at 1200 hours :( )

More than the resolution, I noticed a big difference in reduced screen door going from 480p to 720p, bigtime.

I did have 100" 4:3 at about 15-16 feet. Going to 720p let us move up to about 11-12ft and 115" 16:9. With the new room setup we're going back to about 15 feet and 106".

I also noticed a big improvement in the contrast and reduction in dithering in dark areas stepping up to a newer Darkchip2.

So I think what I'm saying is the tech difference was almost as noteable as the rez change.

Go to a B&M store and have them hook up a couple of BD players. Stand about 5 feet from a 42" 720p and a 42" 1080p side by side and maybe that will be kind of like it. :)

I got my Mitsubishi HC4900 1080p projector in January for $1377 after a $500 mail-in-rebate... I'd say that's the bargain-of-the-century right now.

The difference from 720p to 1080p for me was HUUGE with a 98" projected screen viewed at a throw of about 12 feet... even my girlfriend, who is non-HT-inclined said "wow!" when she saw the difference.