LCVG

Mario Kart Wii

It?s a strange thing really. I did get the impression I wasn?t alone on this when I did a search and discovered the only reference to the game was in the main Wii thread - which is where I initially made my post until Romier took it to start this dedicated topic. I must confess though I?ve not been fond of a Mario Kart game on a desktop console since the SNES original. I didn?t care for Mario Kart 64, never liked what I played of Double Dash (I never personally owned a copy), but Mario Kart Advance and DS were great. I?m just not sure Mario Kart can evolve? I?m sure it?ll sell very well though.

I loved Mario Kart on the SNES, N64, and DS. I never really cared for it on the Gamecube for some reason, it just didn't jive with me. I'm not TOO excited about this title, but I'm sure I'll pick this up and it'll end up like every other Wii game I've purchased, where I'll play it for a couple hours, put it away thinking "I'll get back to this later".

Hey, I pretty damn excited about this game if for no other reason than I love the series and I hope that it's every bit as good as the DS iteration. For that reason alone I think those of you who aren't excited for this game are crazy. :)

Mario Kart DS ran great online

Oh I know I played it a lot.

SSBB will be fine online soon, Nintendo just needs to get more servers online.

We shall see, but it also has to do with the crappy friends system, and the lack of voice support

Its Nintendo, what did you expect?

What exactly is the need for another friends number?, when you already have friends numbers on the system? It's bad enough you need to have the one number for the system, but one for every single game is a really shitty way of doing things

Im not really excited about Mario Kart either. I think Im getting a little sick of the same ol' from Nintendo, even being a hardcore fan, and even when Smash Bros is so good. But, it's really the same game. I think I might slightly be burned out on Mario Kart at this point and I really didnt care much for Double Dash. Online play this time around is great, but like Joey said, they've really screwed up their online system.

Overall, Im disappointed in the Wii. I saw it as a huge potential for innovation, and all I get are sequels, mini-games, gimmicks (a wheel with Mario Kart? the Zapper? *shakes head*) and shitty third party support.

Overall, Im disappointed in the Wii. I saw it as a huge potential for innovation, and all I get are sequels, mini-games, gimmicks (a wheel with Mario Kart? the Zapper? *shakes head*) and shitty third party support.

You forgot to mention the ports of dozens of PS2 ports, Cameron. ;)

You know, having lived with the Wii for over a year now, I've come to a realization. I think our initial expectations that it would be a console that reinvented video games and went so far as to create genres that no one has ever seen or played before was inaccurate. Granted, Nintendo didn't help matters any by calling it the Revolution or saying that it would do just that. But I no longer believe that this was what Iwata and company had in mind with their little white box.

I think that Nintendo's objective was to simply reinvent the interface of the video game so as to make it more accessible to a wider audience. That's it. The games themselves were never going to change that much. However, your connection to the game, the controller, was redesigned to be more streamlined, intuitive, and less intimidating to the non-gamer population. It's one of those things that seems completely obvious now, but I couldn't see until recently.

Let me ask you this. Imagine you are someone who has not played a lot of video games in your life because it just seemed too complicated. Now all of a sudden, there's this new console available with a controller that makes it possible for you to understand how these games work. Can you imagine being one of these people and playing Mario Kart for the first time? That's got to be an incredible experience and that's why Mario Kart Wii is going to be huge. To us, it's old hat, but Nintendo is introducing this series to a lot of new people next month.

So, if you expected a complete paradigm shift with the Wii, it's no surprise that you are disappointed. Unfortunately, I can't say much that will change your attitude. I will say, however, that I am very interested in seeing what Nintendo does with the system in the later half of this year. Considering the fact that we often only get one or two iterations of a franchise per system and that many of the biggest ones have already come and gone, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo does once the franchise well runs dry. Will they trot out new IPs or pump out more sequels? Will we start to see the "revolutionary" games that everyone expected? Maybe. I do think Nintendo has to put out some more new franchises in the coming years to keep me interested. Granted, it's hard to complain about games like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess, but I would like to see Nintendo's attempt at the next big franchise will be.

I completely agree with you as usual, Jeff.

In my eyes, the only truly unique and innovative games have been Wii Sports and Elebits. Honorable mentions go to releases like Metroid Prime and Super Mario Galaxy, sequels with new control implementation. Most everything else are either mini games or games that could have been done on the Gamecube. That's it.

So, about that Mario Kart... I found out my wife hates Mario Kart & has no interest in picking up the Wii version, which is a total shock. Seems she had a bad experience with being constantly thrashed at the SNES version by her nephews :)

Still, won't stop me borrowing or renting it :) As a few posters have said, I should be excited by it, but I'm not... Hard to pin exactly why.

I dunno. I was looking forward to Smash Bros more.

I personally loved Double Dash and still have it on the shelf.

I hope the control works well. I can see a steering-wheel type control being better than an analog stick if implemented correctly. I think it will help my friends who game less than me and the wife compete better, especially. That fine touch on the analog stick is an acquired skill that a lot of normal folks never really picked up very well.

• 1 month later...

It came out last night at midnight and this thread needed to be resurrected. I'm 100% against the gimmicky steering wheel but will probably pick this up along with a Wavebird. Anyone get it yet? Impressions?

I've seen mixed reviews around the 'net.

I played my first four races with the wheel. It works pretty well, but I'm not sure I'll actually use it. The controls map really well to it.

I did some online Battle and I like it. I had no idea it was all 4v4 team games. Can be lots of fun. I already had a sweet moment where I went head on with a red shell that was chasing a team mate and I was able to drop a banana right in it's way to take it out :)

Nothing about the first single-player cup really stood out for me. I'll make my way through the game, but I'm not very excited about it. I look forward to many more online Battles, though. I could never get enough of Mario Kart Battle, and I really like being on a bike for it :)

Future Shop was giving away free Wii hats with the game. Not quite big enough for my big head... not that I'd wear it, anyways.

Game acquired. (And 4 wheels!)

Loving it so far. The game that is. Not the wheel. I played for a few circuits with the wheel and I'm getting some pain in my right shoulder. (Yes, I'm fucking OLD!) My kids are digging the wheels. Even my 5yr old is doing pretty well with the wheel.

So I'll stick to the Classic controller. I'll probably keep the extra wheel around for when the kids have friends over.

Carlos.

I really like the feel of the wheel for racing, but for Battle I gotta have that accurate, twitchy thumbstick.

So am I way too old to be playing this or something? The online Battle competition is hilarious. They don't have a bleeming clue what's going on! It can be the simple collect-the-coins mode and people just drive around like they're drunk with that wheel, shooting weapons at their own team. It seems like a bunch of 5 year olds going online for the first time.

The new red shell behaviour is weird. They seem to fly a collision course now, and they're in no hurry to reach their target! If one's in front of you it might just sit there and wait for you to hit it. Maybe they're easier to fend of with green shells now...

Oh, and it's not limited to 4v4, because I've been playing lots of 6v6. It can get pretty hairy :) I think once people actually know what's going on it'll be even better.