LCVG

HD DVD Boneyard - Hardware and Sofware deals, general HD DVD talk and more..

MrJames

Amazon is really pissing me off. I wanted to get an A35 to replace my A1 before they were gone. I ordered one on 3/12 with overnight shipping to be delivered on 3/14 in time for the weekend. They have delayed my order to the 18th, then the 20th and now the 24th. I'm not holding my breath for one to arrive on the 24th or really anytime after that. I could understand if stock ran out but they still list it as "in stock" today.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon is really pissing me off. I wanted to get an A35 to replace my A1 before they were gone. I ordered one on 3/12 with overnight shipping to be delivered on 3/14 in time for the weekend. They have delayed my order to the 18th, then the 20th and now the 24th. I'm not holding my breath for one to arrive on the 24th or really anytime after that. I could understand if stock ran out but they still list it as "in stock" today.

Someone at DVDtalk was in pretty much the same situation and Amazon offered to him out of the blue to refund the shipping charges.

You might send a complaining email, maybe you'll get a shipping refund too. ;)

$299 refurbed XA2s at Ubid.

http://www.ubid.com/Toshiba_HDXA2_Video_Upconverting_HD_DVD_Player/a602222719-c1486-s2.html

IMO a 2-year warranty isn't worth a $200 premium. IF, IF, it failed, you could almost just buy another player for that much.

Just run the sucker plenty when you get it in house for the first month during the warranty period. Normally if something is going to fail, it fails right away.

$299 refurbed XA2s at Ubid.

http://www.ubid.com/Toshiba_HDXA2_Video_Upconverting_HD_DVD_Player/a602222719-c1486-s2.html

IMO a 2-year warranty isn't worth a $200 premium. IF, IF, it failed, you could almost just buy another player for that much.

Just run the sucker plenty when you get it in house for the first month during the warranty period. Normally if something is going to fail, it fails right away.

Thanks for the heads up. Just put in an order. Did some more reading and it looks like most people who have problems with their players are contacting Toshiba and getting brand new units sent to them.

Best Buy's trade in site is up and quoting. I got a 36.90 quote for my hd-a1. Hah! Xbox addons in excellent condition are 21.00 (with remote/cables), and disks are less than $2 per (they don't ask about what titles you have, just how many you're sending in). I don't think I'll be taking advantage of this "deal".

Thanks for the heads up. Just put in an order. Did some more reading and it looks like most people who have problems with their players are contacting Toshiba and getting brand new units sent to them.

The folks in the overstock refurb XA2 thread had similiar experience. It sounds like Toshiba is pretty good about getting a quick turn around. If they can't fix it in a day or two they just ship you another one.

:tu

Got the freebie HD-DVDs from Screwnut's HD-A2 from November (3-4 of which are being shipped to him).

Like the other folks I've been reading, they substituted Harry Potter & Order of the Phoenix for Charlie/Chocolate factory. But only one of them has a slashed UPC and the slashing is very minor, the rest have stickers over them, which is an improvement.

Call me a nidiot, but I now have a HD-EP30 in the house. I needed a new upscaling player anyway, and since the cheap Toshiba that I would otherwise buy is only ?10 less than I paid for it, I consider it worth every penny to not have to put up with the XBox 360's fan noise any more.

With the mass of cheap discs I've ordered, Blu-ray plans have been dumped back until later in the year, while I actually watch all this stash...

It sounds like Best Buy is returning stock pretty quick now.

Now, my experience in the anime DVD field is this: titles get returned and sent out via liquidation channels. Ala Big Lots or via online sites or whatever. Might take a while though. Hopefully they don't just destroy them to get BD sales instead. Seems unlikely.

I'm thinking we might see some better sales, eventually. There's still just a few titles I'd pick up for cheap, especially the newer stuff. My wife really wants Atonement, and Michael Clayton if we can get it cheap, and I want Beowulf.

I think I doubled my collection with $10 and $11 titles thanks to Hollywood Video and a couple of the Amazon.com deals.