LCVG

Blu-Ray - General Discussion (Movie releases, studio changes, price changes etc.)

Romier S

I'm shocked no one has posted this.... (and if they have apologies for the repost)..

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=12327

The distributor plans to increase Weinstein direct-to-video releases in 2008, for which it will receive an unspecified increased percentage of revenue. Drinkwater said Genius would begin distributing Blu-ray titles in the second half of 2008.

:tu

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shocked no one has posted this.... (and if they have apologies for the repost)..

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=12327

It's a bit vague when it comes to just what Genius will be distributing though. Logically it should mean Weinstein titles, but Genius also distribute some other content - content they actually said they'd bring to Blu-ray over a year ago but never did. Hopefully it does mean Weinstein titles though as I really want 'I'm not There..'

Watched Enchanted tonight on BR. 5 star picture, 5 star sound, and a good movie. One of the best Disney films I've seen in ages.

The "D-Files" mode was fun for us too... although it covers most of the same stuff a commentary would (along with some neat Blu ray interactivity).

It's funny... I JUST bought Planet Terror on DVD (marked down at Target) and now Genius/Weinstein announce Blu-ray plans. Isn't that how it ALWAYS works? :)

Digital Bits has word of some Fox/MGM release that may potentially make it out later this year:

Meanwhile, what about Fox and MGM? Some of their release plans (through May and June) are already known. However, I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films. And there are some great 2009 titles already being planned. Note that this information comes directly from studio sources, though the specific title slate and street dates are all fluctuating and are yet to be announced, so you should consider this Rumor Mill-worthy until official announcements are made.

Some good titles there so I hope at least some of them make it out. It's good to see Fox raiding the classics in their vault (beginning with Patton) this year with sign of them looking to continue - though I expect Patton/Longest Day/Sand Pebbles to sell poorly, so I hope it doesn't prompt them into delaying further releases. I'd certainly be keen to see MGM have the confidence to put out some of their musicals, like West Side Story, that MGM still distribute instead of Warner who actually own the lion's share of MGM musicals. I'm mostly interested in gold and silver age classics from the major studios, and MGM have a lot I'd like to see released in the coming years. I'm still waiting for them to re-announce Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far.

While looking at what regular DVD's i have left, I really want Fox to release Titan AE. One of my guilty pleasures which is sure to look and sound fantastic in HD/Uncompressed sound

Can’t say I am a fan of that one. I acquired the DVD back when it came out and watched it last autumn for the first time in years when I was reviewing titles to remove from the shelf to free up space and I really don’t care for it. I consider that a shame however as I think there were some good ideas at work in the movie, but it feels unfinished and the the mix of cel and CG animation felt jarring.

There was a D-Theatre (D-VHS) release if memory serves, so Fox might not be against releasing it to a similarly small audience on Blu-ray early on, but it’s anyone’s guess really. If Fox were going to release anything of Don Bluth’s I’d rather it were ‘The Secret of NIMH’ which did get a new HD master not long ago, along with hint of a possible Blu release funnily enough (it’s actually a title Fox would have to distribute for MGM since they own that one).

Nemo bumped to 2009?

From The Digital Bits regarding some of Disney's forthcoming titles:

Studio sources have confirmed that a Nixon: Election Year Edition and Good Will Hunting are both on the way for later in 2008. We've also learned that Kill Bill 1 & 2 and Finding Nemo are now being planned for release in 2009 on the format. You probably have questions about these titles, particularly Kill Bill, but no more information is available at this time. Obviously, it's way too early to talk about specific street dates, version and special features. Just know that they ARE on the way. And again, even though this information comes directly from studio sources, you should still consider it Rumor Mill-worthy until the titles are officially announced.

I wonder what Pixar catalogue title we will get this year then? A 10th Anniversary release of A Bug's Life perhaps?

Any word on when The Incredibles is coming out on Blu?

Brad Bird was asked that a lot during promotion of the Ratatouille DVD/Blu-ray and said it wasn't yet on the cards as I recall. I wouldn't imagine Disney want to put out more than two Pixar titles a year (a new release, and one catalogue) and if they want to bump Nemo until the format's user base is greater then they may want to do the same for The Incredibles too. 2010 would surely be the logical year for the Toy Story films on Blu given it will mark the fifteenth anniversary of the first one and the release of the third one.

It did surprise me Disney was looking to put Nemo out on Blu-ray so soon when they initially had it slatted for November this year, so I am not shocked at word of its apparent delay. I agree with Jordan that Disney, not just with Pixar titles, is clearly re-evaluating their strategy having touted certain films and special features last year only to completely do a 180 on those specific plans this year [the extended cut of Narnia, web features on National Treasure, Finding Nemo - which was also meant to have PiP. None of which will come to pass].

I'd certainly welcome a 10th Anniversary disc of A Bug's Life - even though I'd probably be one of a handful celebrating its release. It seems the right time to get this one out there.

I'm more ticked at the Kill Bill not coming till 09

Wouldn't fans of Kill Bill rather be looking to what the Weinstein Co do with 'the whole bloody affair' version rather than what Disney does with the theatrical editions? That's existed since it was screened at Cannes four years ago and it wasn't just both halves quickly cut together (it was the genuine single edit with the unrated version of pt1, a scored 5 minute intermission sequence and the ending from pt1 cut out to remove the cliffhanger). It was meant to go on a roadshow tour beginning later that year...

I enjoyed both parts a great deal more than I expected - with a preference for part 2 - and can still enjoy catching them on TV from time to time, though I'm not sure i feel compelled to own the film(s) as beyond Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction I'm not hungry from any Tarantino films on Blu-ray. Still, despite that even I must admit that I'm curious as to what on Earth happened to the public release of the single film edit.

Wouldn't fans of Kill Bill rather be looking to what the Weinstein Co do with 'the whole bloody affair' version rather than what Disney does with the theatrical editions?

Oh I would, but there has been no word about it in a very very long time. I'm more of a fan of PT1 myself, but enjoy the entire thing

POW! ZAP! BOFF! BLU!...etc

Fox Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring the 1966 classic superhero film 'Batman: The Movie' to Blu-ray on July 1st. Video will be presented in 1080p AVC accompanied by a 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio lossless soundtrack. Exclusive to the Blu-ray release will be the option to listen to the isolated score from the film, also presented in 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio.

Extras include all new high definition featurettes, including "Batman: A Dynamic Legacy", "Caped Crusaders: A Heroes Tribute", and "Gotham City's Most Wanted". A full list of the extras can be found below:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:

• 1.85:1 Widescreen Transfer (1080p)
  • Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1; English Dolby Digital Mono, French Dolby Digital Mono
  • Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Commentary by actors Adam West and Burt Ward
  • Commentary by screenwriter Lorenzo Semple, Jr.
  • Isolated Score Track 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio (Lossless)

• All-new high-definition featurettes:

Batman: A Dynamic Legacy

Caped Crusaders: A Heroes Tribute

Gotham City's Most Wanted

• 2001 35th Anniversary Piece Featuring Interviews with Adam West and Burt Ward

• The Batmobile Revealed with George Barris
  • The Batmobile Interactive Tour - A 360 Degree Navigational Tour
  • Batman on Location: Mapping the Movie
  • Holy Pop-Up Trivia Track, Batman!
  • Original Teaser and Theatrical Trailers

• Galleries:

From the Vaults of Adam West

Interactive Pressbook

Posters

Production Stills

Behind the Scenes

Premiere

Also available to collectors will be a limited edition of only 5,000 copies with a 1/18th scale Batmobile from Hot Wheels?.

Good of them to include an English mono track as well. This should be an excellent release. I'm sure it will have some amusing Java based menus too.

Can they dust off any more Batman material this year?! :D

I think when Dark Knight hits home video Warner will churn out the Burton and Schumacher titles that they had previously mentioned to be in the works. I'm still dreaming of a 15th Anniversary 'Mask of the Phantasm' special edition but I doubt it's going to happen.

I'll definitely rent it. No way am I buying it :)

For the right price I'll be buying it without question. :)

Semi Pro debuts June 3rd

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/New_Line/Disc_Announcements/New_Line_Bows_Semi_Pro_Blu-ray_this_June/1587

The link Dan Posted shows Nixon SE and Good Will Hunting as well for this year.

Fox is hinting at these the rest of this year(I don't think this is a repost)

eanwhile, what about Fox and MGM? Some of their release plans (through May and June) are already known. However, I'm told that many more catalog titles are in the works for possible release by the end of 2008, including such films as Walk the Line, the classic Batman: The Movie, The French Connection, Super Troopers, Fargo, the X-Men trilogy, the original Planet of the Apes, possibly Young Frankenstein and maybe even MGM musical titles, not to mention the expected new release films. And there are some great 2009 titles already being planned. Note that this information comes directly from studio sources, though the specific title slate and street dates are all fluctuating and are yet to be announced, so you should consider this Rumor Mill-worthy until official announcements are made.