LCVG

Sonic Unleashed (X360, PS3, Wii etc.)

Romier S

Why bother you ask? Well, you bother when you bring Sonic back to his roots a bit and release a "next gen" 2.5D Sonic with killer visuals...

077lp4.th.jpg

You can take a look at a SLEW of other screenshots right here:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6204_en.html

There's a leaked video of the game making the rounds as well in poor quality. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjxnhXs7Mqs

I'm cautiously optimistic but oh boy does it look fantastic right now. PLEASE BE GOOD!

Hasn't Sega promised to bring Sonic back to its roots every other version they've made since Sonic Adventure? I swear from a marketing standpoint that is what they say every other time, meaning after they do something crazy, the next version is "back to the roots."

It's also fair to say the the "roots" might not be all that we thought they were.

Well, it would be an issue if Sega marketing was making those claims. The idea of bringing Sonic back to his "roots" were posed by myself in the original post. Not by Sega. However your point isn't entirely without foundation. There's been a great deal of marketing in the past few releases about Sonic making a return to form and every time we've been left with a generally shit game when all is said and done. However, that's not always been the case.

For those that may be entirely blind to how Sonic has progressed in the past few years, the Nintendo DS has seen two Sonic releases (Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush 2). Both of which are considered to be some of the best 2D Sonic out there. If they can do with this game what they've done with the DS releases than a return to form is not entirely out of the question and for once the final release may live up to whatever marketing Sega put behind the game.

I'm cautiously optimistic with this one. If it were a strictly 3D affair I wouldn't have even bothered posting about it. Especially after the horridness of the most recent 3D Sonic on the 360/PS3.

Right, but Romier, your first response to information you've learned about this title was to drop the "back to his roots" phrase. I suspect you won't be the last person. I bet that every preview and press release will have something to that effect. That is where I was coming from.

Doesn't mean that this new game can't be fantastic. It could be this year's revival for all I know. Honestly though. I kind of would prefer that Sega would turn Sonic into a Live Arcade, PSN, and Wiiware franchise with snazzy 3D graphics like that new Bionic Commando game. I think there would be a higher chance of me buying that than a new $60 3D Sonic.

The graphics are certainly nice, and if it's a "return to it's roots" or whatever, I'd certainly be interested. I agree with Keith that I'd probably be a little more interested if it was an XBox Live Arcade revamp of the original, but then again, not enough information right now to say if it's worth $60 or not.

Right, but Romier, your first response to information you've learned about this title was to drop the "back to his roots" phrase.

Well yeah, Sonic is a property rooted in 2D gameplay and regardless of the quality of the game, releasing a game that incorporates primarily 2D game mechanics is indeed going back to those roots whether the marketing is there or not. I've no doubt the press will latch onto similiar commentary. It's absolutely natural considering the nature of the game and especially considering there hasn't been a 2D Sonic released on a major "set top" console in years. Certainly a reason for Sonic fans to be excited.

The viewpoint that 2D games should only be relegated to XBLA/PSN experiences is outright bullshit to me. I'm not saying that you're pushing that stance Keith but I know there are those that feel a higher priced 2D game is no-no which is something I disagree with. As far as that is concerned though...

I agree with Keith that I'd probably be a little more interested if it was an XBox Live Arcade revamp of the original

I think there's room for both but I don't know if I want or care about a remake of the original Sonic. I've played it in so many iterations it's a waste to even bother with it.

A new XBLA/PSN title wouldn't be a bad thing though and something on a smaller scale than what's shown here would certainly be enticing. However, Sonic continues to sell extremely well for Sega despite the franchises horrendous quality on consoles (barring the Wii game was was quite decent IMHO). That's the reality and that's why there's little reason for Sega to stop releasing Sonic titles for the full $60 price tag. They make money.

I'm personally very interested in seeing where this game goes and I'll wait to see/play more before I make a judgement call as to whether it's worth $60 bucks or not.

Doesn't mean that this new game can't be fantastic. It could be this year's revival for all I know. Honestly though. I kind of would prefer that Sega would turn Sonic into a Live Arcade, PSN, and Wiiware franchise with snazzy 3D graphics like that new Bionic Commando game. I think there would be a higher chance of me buying that than a new $60 3D Sonic.

Which is fine - that'd be more interesting to you. The mass market keeps buying 3D Sonic games regardless of quality, which keeps Sega Japan pumping them out without too much care for 'reinventing the franchise'. Why should they? They keep selling. Not to us, sure, but they still sell. Why spend the money to reinvent it for PSN/XBLA when they can spend a little more for a much higher return at retail? It's interesting you mention Bionic Commandos - a title Capcom have said will have to really sell well at $10 to make a profit. These high quality/high production value projects aren't cheap.

Personally, I think the recent 3D Sonic games have fundamental flaws in their gameplay mechanics & structure that require a fresh eye on the series to fix. Sometimes that takes a step back to the core mechanics of the game. If this "Unleashed" release has that fresh eye, great. So far, we know it's a Sonic game from Sega of Japan and little else - Sega's said almost nothing official about it so far that I know of.

• 2 weeks later...
dogbert] So far, we know it's a Sonic game from Sega of Japan and little else - Sega's said almost nothing official about it so far that I know of.

Until today (finally)...

Sonic Is Unleashed!

SEGA's newest Sonic title is set to combine amazing next gen capabilities with classic Sonic 2D gameplay!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) – SEGA? of America and SEGA of Europe Ltd., today announced that everyone’s favourite hedgehog will be breaking new ground yet maintaining his roots, in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed™. Developed by renowned studio Sonic Team, the latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise, will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic. The game is set for release later this year and will be available for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION?3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PLAYSTATION?2.

Sonic Unleashed is built on a powerful new “Hedgehog Engine”, which introduces seamless 3D to classic 2D camera transitions, whilst delivering a rich and expansive world with multiple paths to choose from. Under development for three years, the Hedgehog Engine produces a visually rich next generation look and feel with elements of classic Sonic gameplay mechanics. The Hedgehog engine will help re-define the gameplay experience for Sonic fans and newcomers to the franchise alike.

“By combining rich and vibrant scenery with dynamic viewpoints Sonic Unleashed will provide an immersive 3D experience whilst keeping alive the 2D gameplay elements and fantastic worlds that Sonic fans know and love” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe. “In addition to this classic Sonic gaming experience, when darkness sets in Sonic Unleashed players will be able to experience a completely new way to play as Sonic… making this his most exciting adventure yet!”

Having been broken apart by the evil Dr Eggman, it’s down to Sonic to put the pieces of the world back together again by retrieving the power of the chaos emeralds. In doing so, Sonic will find himself in a race against time and faced with an unusual situation that will challenge him in ways never before seen. By completing a wide variety of action-packed stages, spanning the seven broken continents of the world, gamers will need to unleash Sonic’s amazing abilities to save the world, and himself!

The opportunity to engage in Sonic in different ways during the day and night time levels brings a completely original way of playing to the Sonic franchise, in addition to running at high speeds in classic Sonic style, combat fighting will become possible. Super quick Sonic’s speed skills will be highlighted by four new modes, whilst the all new combat, movement and functional abilities will offer depth and variety to the game. As the sun sets in Sonic Unleashed, a different type of adventure will awaken in Sonic’s newest quest….

Sonic Unleashed is scheduled for release worldwide in late 2008.

There's a new trailer with some new footage as well:

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_6780_en.html

• 4 months later...

New footage from the Game Convention..

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12708_sonic-unleashed-premiere-video-de-gameplay.html

Keep in mind you'll have to put up with people walking in front of the screen or just outright standing there (GRR!)

Looks a whole lot like Secret Ring with some 2D elements and other things spiced in. I'm quite ok with that since Secret Ring was the closest thing to a good Sonic game we've gotten in a long time. If they can make sure to keep the level design solid (something Secret Ring faltered with often) - we might actually get something good here.

• 3 months later...

I just saw this advertised on television. What the HELL happened? I know the press release was vague with its "when darkness sets in Sonic Unleashed players will be able to experience a completely new way to play as Sonic" along with a passing reference to combat elements, but I had no idea it meant Sonic turns into an angry spikey blue Hulk like mutation.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up for the PS3 on boxing day... Am Very impressed with the overall visuals. It's not a perfect game but its got its charms. Some of the sharpest graphics I've seen on this gen so far

It's got the RPGesque elements to it, like the Dreamcast title. It's not fully 2 D but you Definetely do get a feel for huge speed in the game. The camera often pivots from side to behind sonic (like he's a racecar) back to side. Some really tough elements in this one.

It's much cleaner overall than the last couple I've played as far as polish goes, or seems to be so far

Not gonna say its perfect, it has some annoying elements to it, but its worth at least trying the demo out