LCVG

Weather - 2008

Jordan_E

I know we all live in various parts of the world, so how about a thread detailing the weather conditions over the year?

Here it is, late March in the Pacific Northwest and we get a good 3 inches of snow last night! And we're supposed to get some more over the next few days. This may not be a revelation in other parts of the US of America, or the world, but here in the Puget Sound area it's rare. Now I have to get the mail and slog through the semi-melted mess out there!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Massachusetts its been the winter that just won't end. There have been no humongous snowstorms, just constantly cold and snow seems to always be in the forecast. It really starts to affect your mood. Every year that goes by I hate winter that much more. Its especially tough with the cost of heating these days.

Next couple of days:

Tonight

Snow or rain likely in the evening...then snow after midnight. Snow accumulation around an inch. Lows in the upper 20s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

chancesnow

Friday

Cloudy. A chance of snow in the morning...then a chance of rain or snow in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

nt_cloudy

Friday Night

Mostly cloudy. Cooler with lows around 18. Northwest winds around 5 mph.

Things have been looking up for us here in the Twin Cities these last few weeks. After a long winter of highs in the single digits, or even below the dreaded zero mark, we're starting to enjoy some nicer weather. It looks like we can look forward to five days of highs above 40, which is a big deal for us out here. I do have to laugh when I hear people complain about how cold it is when the temperature gets down to freezing. Trying dealing with highs of 5 or less for several weeks in row and 30 suddenly feels much more pleasant.

For all the cold weather those of us in the Land of 10,000 Lakes endure, we don't usually see a proportional amount of snowfall, which is nice. We may still see some slush or a few flakes of snow here and there, but it doesn't stick around for long anymore. Quite frankly I'm looking forward to spring as this as been a long winter. I can't wait until the act of stepping outside is no longer a chore one has to endure to get from one place to another.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this goes under weather, but for the first time in my entire life I felt the tremors from a distant earthquake. It was a 5.2 that originated somewhere in Evansville Indiana. For a while there, I thought it was my huge roommate lumbering up the stairs.

I hate earthquakes. Our last big one back in 2001 (man, THAT year sucked), was a real rocker! I remember, our neighborhood was still being built and I ran outside to see these poor guys up on the skeletal roof of a few houses, hanging on as the quake kept going. It was 6.8 on the Richter scale... 10.0 on the OH SHIT! scale.