LCVG

Drobo, USB2.0, 802.11n, Questions about Networking and Speed

Starhawk

I've recently been thinking hard about getting a Drobo, but have held off due to the USB bottleneck, which is currently the only interface on the thing. Im planning on using it as a network drive attached to a router for access from any computer, Apple TV, etc.

That being said, the fastest I will be connecting to the router is 802.11n, and from what I understand, 802.11n and USB 2.0 are practically the same speed. So, if Im never planning to use a wired connection to the router for Gigabit Ethernet, that means there's no reason to not buy a Drobo because of USB 2.0 only?

On the other hand, I've heard the Drobo itself is actually slower at outputting data than USB 2.0. So if what I posted is true, it may still be worth waiting for the next model anyway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there no 3rd party benchmarks for the drobo?

It's been a while since I looked, but a while back I saw some benchmarks comparing USB2 externals to FireWire 400 and although the theoretical speed is almost the same, the FW drives in practice were a good bit faster. this was several years ago, and things may have changed since then.

I ended up buying a Western Digital MyBook drive with a FW800 interface for my Time Machine backups, so far it's been a breeze, plug it in, tell Time Machine to backup and that's it.

http://www.drobo.com/products_droboshare.aspx

Add to the Drobo to make it a real NAS. Makes it a lot more useful IMO.

It's a pretty cool gadget. I like the ease-of-use factor WRT automated backing up on empty space, upgrading individual disks, etc.

I know how to tweak/reconfigure/rebuild mirrored/striped/etc drives (and do it all the time in my role as an OpenVMS sysadmin at work) but that doesn't mean I want to sit and fiddle with it at home.

I'm going to build one of these later this year as my Magicjack VOIP/Media streaming/Printer sharing box:

http://us.shuttle.com/kpc/

The Drobo would match it nicely. :D Like two little Borg cubes.

Add to the Drobo to make it a real NAS. Makes it a lot more useful IMO.

My understanding of DroboShare is that it doesn't make Drobo a "real" NAS. It's just a Drobo on your network. Still slowish and it doesn't have the sharing support found in real network attached storage devices.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Drobo arrived today. This thing is quieter than the other two OWC drives I had to send back (see other thread).

I'll be using this for a backup and a primary drive. Im looking forward to them releasing a new version of the Droboshare, at which time I'll probably also be using it to stream media from.

• 1 month later...

I just competed a survey that Drobo sent me, which included this question that might be a sign of things to come:

380395862_QHaNd-L.jpg

I picked #2 even though I dont have anything that uses eSATA. I'd feel like I'd probably end up using FW1600 faster than I would eSATA, and that's on the lower end model. I just liked the 8 drive capability and the fact that it could withstand two hard drive failures. I was then grilled on pricing.

To Mods: Feel free to change the name of this thread to "Drobo" or something.

My Drobo 2nd Gen experience so far hasn't exactly inspired confidence in the Drobo's reliability. The 4th drive bay refused to recognize any drive in it (including known-good drives swapped from other bays), until I upgraded to FW 1.2.4 last night, after which it immediately recognized and allocated it. Then today I got 3 erroneous critical warning emails: cannot protect against single failure, data protection in progress, critically low on capacity. At least from what I can see in Drobo dash, all drives are green.

I emailed back Drobo support, we'll see what they have to say. That too doesn't really make me comfortable, my first support request (about the 4th bay being DOA) took over a week to get a reply, and a completely wrong one at that ("obviously the drive you put in the 4th bay is bad, try using USB instead of FW, do a disk check").