LCVG

Dedicated Home Theater Confirmed

It's done! Thank you everyone for your help in choosing equipment. Thank you for reading about my terrible experience with my contractor. Thank you for helping me set up things like my PS3.

Finally, here you can see what all the fuss was about and why I'm so excited:

One Minute Slideshow with Music (WMV)

For those who don't know or who have forgotten. My goal was to create a home theater with:

• Two Rows of seating with a riser
  • a 1080p Projector
  • 7.1 surround
  • All equipment housed in a different room
  • PS3, 360, and computer setup (wireless mice, keyboards, controllers, etc.)
  • 100% light control

Well I'm done. Here are some pictures.

View From the front row

DSC00110.jpg

Stadium Seating

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

Wall of DVDs, Games, Blu-ray, HD-DVD in Alphabetical Order

DSC00111.jpg

My Ugly Equipment Rack, but who cares, its out of sight, in the Closet!

DSC00127.jpg

Oh, and the way I access this stuff is of course with my RF Harmony 890, Bluetooth PS3 remote, wireless 360 and PS3 controller, and my GYRO Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Oh, and I can VNC to the computer from anywhere in the world, so I don't have to turn on my projector if I just want to do a few adminstrative tasks.

Nice pictures, Keith. Your theater is very red.
Two funny facts about the lighting in my theater:

1) If the lights are on to any significant level, the screen will be redish.

2) My room is so dark, particularly because of my black ceiling tiles, that even with 6 lightbulbs going at full blast, the room has about 1/4 the lighting of a normal room. You could never read in this room unless you bring your own portable light.

Keith which computer/software are you using for the streaming of content
Nothing special. I just have an always on, fairly green PC with Tivo Desktop and Windows Media Sharing running for my 360 and PS3. My 360 is incredibly responsive for music, photos, and video. My PS3 is very good for photos. The PS3 and Tivo have issues with Xvid files that I haven't figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith, nice job with the home theater What's your opinion of the SVS package? Is it performing to your expectations? I am most likely ordering one once we get our tax return, and trying to decide between the SBS-01 and SCS-01, and also a new sub. Is your sub big enough for the room, or do you wish you went one size bigger?

Keith, nice job with the home theater What's your opinion of the SVS package? Is it performing to your expectations? I am most likely ordering one once we get our tax return, and trying to decide between the SBS-01 and SCS-01, and also a new sub. Is your sub big enough for the room, or do you wish you went one size bigger?

I have 6 SBS and one SCS for the center. I am really enjoying the system. My seating, speaker positions, and room acoustics all add up to a significant audio upgrade. The quality of the speakers and woofer are the gravy along with the PS3 uncompressed sound. I cannot really comment on how this system compares to others. I haven't sampled many optimal setups like this so I can't offer insight.

As far as the woofer, I have a small room (18x14) and I'm siting at the 9 foot mark. So for me it sounds very good. I have the woofer set at about 20% capacity. I haven't really tested what the bass sounds like in the cheap seats. But I've basically gone from a system with NO subwoofer to this baby so color me impressed.

• 3 months later...

Albert,

He has the same remote system I do. The Harmony 890. It converts IR to RF. You just run the cables from the repeater to the equipment and operate the Harmony normally. I'm using this same remote in the way you want to put your equipment up in a closet.

All of my equipment is hidden from view(and earshot). There's something nice about playing the 360 without hearing any fan noise :)

Yes, he is right about the IR stuff.

he rack was an ugly metal rack used for holding paint and crap. If you don't care about it being ugly, I am sort of proud of the fact that it is ugly, then I think you can get something like that at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Hey Exile, my Harmony 890 works terribly with the 360. It double jumps all the time. I tried to play with the settings, but couldn't get it to work right. Still double jumps. I emailed support, and they said they did something to my profile and that it should fix it. But now the 360 control is more sluggish and still double jumps.

I know it can be made to work well, but I haven't had the will to going through support again. THoughts?