LCVG

My Modest Home Theater Setup

Magness

Just thought I'd post some pics of my HT setup since moving to the UK. Very modest arrangement but, I bought the best components I could within my budget/limitations.

HTPics003.jpg

This is the Left side of the setup: CD Spindle, DVD tower and one of the JVC front main speakers. The sub is hidden behind a chair on the left and you can see one of the Sony "expansion" speakers on top of the tower as well. The receiver is the Yamaha DSP-AX761. I love this receiver :)

HTPics001.jpg

This is the center part of our setup. Olevia 32" LCD, Sony center channel speaker, the PS3, (2) Xbox 360's, the Wii, a Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player and the Sky+ Box. The stand was a cheapy from Argos but, it has nice open shelves and can hold a fair amount of weight. I had to build the expansion shelf to go on top of it and to raise the display to proper viewing height. We had purchased and started to mount the LCD on a low profile wall mount but, landlords didn't want us hanging the TV on the wall so had to "revise" it after having purchased everything :( Still, it works pretty well like this.

HTPics002.jpg

This is the right side of the setup. The right JVC front main speaker, this is where the Rock Band gear usually sits and the other DVD tower and CD spindle as well as the right-side Sony "expansion" speaker.

The Olevia display has worked out very nicely - especially considering its price. The Sony center and expansions (as well as the rear surrounds not pictured) all sound great and were a Christmas present 2 years ago. The sub is a cheapy KLH but, it sounds decent as long as volume is kept down and its at 100hz crossover. The front main speakers sound Great - JVCs but, don't remember the model off-hand. The receiver is great too - the Yamaha only cost 199, has full HDMI passthrough, LPCM sound as well as 7.1 preouts and 7.1 analog in's. In that price range its about the best I could find - Very highly recommended. Sorry the pics aren't the best but, I had to keep the lights low and not use a flash or anything at the time (friend and her baby were over).

:)

I like the stand too! I need one with more room for components.

I like Yammy receivers. What is the American model counterpart to that UK model?

One thing, though. Since you are now in the UK, shouldn't your rockband equipment go on the LEFT side of the room?

Carlos.

Thanks all :) Not sure what the US equivalent for the Yamaha is but, it is a great receiver. As far as the stand, its been pretty good - I like the open shelving especially although pretty much everything except the Xbox doesn't get too hot anyway and most of the components are pretty quiet too. The extension shelf is the part that I built myself to raise the display to the proper height. When I was making it I fitted the center braces specifically for the Wii and center channel - came out better than I thought it would.

Thanks again

Heheheh :) Yea they are spinning round racks just like a big lazy susan. They've worked great for us: they hold the CD's at an angle so they are easy to read and hold 244 each which is awesome but, they are no longer available :( Maybe someone makes something similar though...

Very efficient use of space! Your Olevia looks just like our Olevia 37" we use in the daytime (337h). The giant blue standby light shines on my face though at night when I'm sleeping on the couch for baby-duty. :P

Been a good TV so far. Pretty nice organization.

Why 2 360s? Do I want to know :lol

Hehehe thats exactly right - The (2) 360's are a US and UK version so I don't have to worry about my existing catalog of games or buying new releases since we've moved :) I can swap the HDD between the two or just use a memory card and I setup 2 separate controllers synced to each system. The only thing I might still do on the 360's is custom faceplates for each region ;) It was cheap enough too... At $150 for the Arcade version they are almost disposable these days.

• 2 years later...

O.k. so updating my HT setup this weekend. I finally got a bonus from work (yay!) after 3 years now of no raise and no bonus or anything *despite my company and our "industry" (videoconferencing) doing very well the past several years :/ All my bitching aside though, I'll be moving up to a 42" 1080P display and re-arranging some of the components... Will post full specs and pics once its all setup :) Can't wait

I will probably be getting one of these displays: Toshiba 42RV635DB or the Panasonic TXP42S10B. Both are rated very well and very few issues listed for either at AV Forums. Toshiba has more inputs, higher contrast and is a little cheaper (not by much) and is rated better for gaming while the Panny is rated better for film watching, color reproduction and black levels. I'm really not leaning any particular way on these 2 so it will depend on the best deal I can get for one... The rest of the components will stay largely the same: not changing receiver or speakers, sub woofer blew out so I'll need to replace that but, not sure with what yet.

Thats about it for now - Will update again later this weekend.

Edited by Magness

O.k. new pic of the living room with my new TV :)

4571518021_688bcc0d5d_o.jpg

The new display is the Toshiba 42RV635DB. This is a 1080p set with 50K:1 contrast, 4 HDMI inputs, etc. Outstanding picture on it after only minor calibration. I tested The Dark Knight, Wall E and Avatar and all looked the best I've ever seen them :D I still have some tweaking to do on a few of the inputs but, I'm very happy with it.

As you can see from the previous pic's vs. the new pic, I've moved a few things around. The TV is too wide on that stand to allow the 360 to be vertical :( so I moved it to a shelf underneath and laid it horizontally. The laptop "stand" is now on top of the right speaker, the CD spindles are moved a little farther off to the left and some of the Wii accessories have been moved around.

Nothing major other than the TV but hot damn do I love that new TV

:)

Those DVD shelves are from Argos - something like ?49 each if I remember right. I really liked the glass front sliding doors, the aluminum and milk-washed wood "look", it matches the TV stand pretty well, was cheap and they hold a little over 200 DVD's each. They have worked pretty well overall: The left hand stand holds mostly Blu-Rays, HD-DVD's and games now while the right hand stand still holds DVD's and some older games :)

O.k. replaced the subwoofer over the weekend with a Gale-Force Storm. 10" and very nice sound, took a while to get the levels right though; more due to my "open ended" rectangular room design than anything else. Very happy with the setup now: Great new HDTV, nice replacement subwoofer, kept all the good components I already had and the Satellite box will (finally) be upgraded this Friday to a Sky+ HD box.

As an addendum, the first BD I tried after calibration of the sub was Private Ryan BD=Outstanding :D

Relisted Home Theater components in the living room since my upgrades:

Toshiba 42RV635DB 42" LCD HDTV

Yamaha DSP-AX761 receiver

Microsoft Xbox 360 (HDMI Arcade version)

Sony PlayStation3 (Original 20GB model)

Nintendo Wii

Sky+ HD Satellite receiver

Unibody MacBook (Alu) running Plex

JVC front main speakers

Sony center channel speaker, rear surrounds and "expansion" speakers

Gale-Force Storm 10" subwoofer

• 4 years later...

Well it's been a few years now but, we finally moved to a new place in small village called Westcott. I've updated a few things in my HT setup, no major changes but a few upgrades and replacements:

Toshiba 42RV635DB 42" LCD HDTV

Yamaha DSP-AX761 receiver

PS4

Sony PlayStation3 (Original 20GB model)

X360

WiiU

Game PC (custom)

Sky+ HD Satellite receiver

Mac Mini as Plex server with 16TB drive array

Mordaunt Short LCR front mains and center (passive sound bar)

Sony rear surrounds

Tannoy 10" subwoofer