LCVG

Rumor: Wii-like Remote and Mii Clones Coming to the Xbox 360

JFo

I saw this posted at Kotaku and thought it was worth discussing here. Have a look:

Xbox 360 Version Of Wii Remote Has Been In Development Since Summer, Source Exclusively Tells MTV News

Our development source sketched out a reproduction of the last prototype he'd seen, although the final product ? if it is indeed released ? may vary from this design. A key difference between the Wii remote and the prototype is the lack of a companion controller to be placed in the other hand, like Wii's Nunchuck.

The controller itself isn't much different in functionality or design from Nintendo's Wii remote, but comes with four face buttons, an analog stick and microphone. There are also plans for the controller to interact with the Xbox Live Vision Camera, the source said.

Microsoft's controller isn't just a response to "Wii Sports"; it's slightly more ambitious. "They want the usual assortment of 'Halo'/ 'Gears'/ 'Forza'/ whatever, just in waggle form," our source told us. Such idea-generation has not gone smoothly. "The whole thing is a colossal clusterf---," the source said. "[Microsoft] marketing just want it so they can match the Wii point for point. The biggest parts of their marketing materials outline how easy it would be for third parties to port their Wii games to the 360."

Kotaku also posted a mock up image of the remote as described by the source:

xmoteno9.jpg

It also sounds like Rare is working on a Mii generator, similar to what is on the Wii. The big difference is that the characters are a bit more complex and there are more options from which to chose.

So what do you guys think? Does the Xbox 360 even need something like this? Would any of you run out and buy one should it be made available? Would this convince casual gamers who wouldn't normally pick up a 360 to finally buy one?

If this report is to be believed and MS is really working on a Wii remote clone, I don't think it will do much to bring the casual crowd Nintendo has been courting. The problem is that MS just doesn't seem to get why these people are buying into the Wii in the first place (again, if the report is true). It's simplicity of those games that make them appealing to the masses. You can't just make Wii remote compatible versions of Gears of War, Forza, and Halo 3 and expect those people to buy it. You have to make games that are much less complicated and much easier to play.

Ultimately, this sounds to me more like a half-hearted attempt to copy the Wii than it is to do anything new and daring. We'll see if any of this turns out to be true, but that's the impression I get from this article.

I have no info on this latest attempt allegedly in conjunction with Rare, however both Sony & Microsoft have had various attempts at motion controllers in their R&D departments for years.

That mockup description is pretty shameless though :)

As JFo says, cloning the remote won't necessarily give Microsoft the expanded audience it's after - there's great third party "motion controllers" on the PS2 but it doesn't automatically give you an audience if the software doesn't gel with the market.

Picture looks like a photoshop job.

That being said, even though peripherals rarely succeed, if they did it right. A very small margin of error here though:

1) has to come with ALL future SKUs

2) has to come with a killer app that everyone will want

3) has to be supported by a cheaper line of games, perhaps part of XBLA, that are no more than $40. Their strategy cannot be to have this work with GOW or Halo. That won't succeed. They need to promote ports from the Wii.

I still consider the Wii to just be a gamecube with a wiimote. So I am completely open to the 360 getting one too. If all hit Wii games came over to the 360 and were just as functional only in HD and with online play that didn't suck, what's not to like about that? But they have to practically GIVE the accessory away for that to happen.

Next-gen made the point that if this is true, MS might not be interested in succeeding, only getting a marketing bullet point. If that's true then none of my points above will become true and it will be insignifiant.

I'd have no interest in a 360-mote. Controller works fine for me on the 360.
If this is true, I don't think that is the point. Atleast, I don't think that should be the point. Even on the Wii, the wii-mote is an accessory. Sometimes you use it. Sometimes you use it and a nunchuck. Sometimes you use a classic controller. Sometimes you use the zapper or steering wheel setup. Sometimes you use the Wiifit pad. Etc.

On the 360 it would be the same. Certain games would be made for it I would expect. It wouldn't be a replacement for anything. The difference would be this. On the Wii the developers have to shoehorn games into using the Wiimote to publish on the platform half the time, simply because that is what they think they have to do. On the 360, you'd only use it if it was appropriate.

I think it is all a bit silly. And for the console wars it is awesome fodder. I mean, look at all the crap Sony took for putting motion controls into the Sixaxis. It has been a disaster. I am hearing people saying that the sixaxis is the worst controller ever now that the Dual Shock 3 is out and we'll be moving past it. Microsoft has a 75% chance of something like this becoming the new laughing stock joke of this generation.

Let's face it. Timing is everything. I think in theory such a device could be cool for not only the 360 platform, but for the industry in general. Simply because they could publish on both platforms. But timing is everything and this, if true, probably can't work or succeed. I'd like it to though.

If this is true, I don't think that is the point. Atleast, I don't think that should be the point. Even on the Wii, the wii-mote is an accessory. Sometimes you use it. Sometimes you use it and a nunchuck. Sometimes you use a classic controller. Sometimes you use the zapper or steering wheel setup. Sometimes you use the Wiifit pad. Etc.

On the 360 it would be the same. Certain games would be made for it I would expect. It wouldn't be a replacement for anything. The difference would be this. On the Wii the developers have to shoehorn games into using the Wiimote to publish on the platform half the time, simply because that is what they think they have to do. On the 360, you'd only use it if it was appropriate.

I think it is all a bit silly. And for the console wars it is awesome fodder. I mean, look at all the crap Sony took for putting motion controls into the Sixaxis. It has been a disaster. I am hearing people saying that the sixaxis is the worst controller ever now that the Dual Shock 3 is out and we'll be moving past it. Microsoft has a 75% chance of something like this becoming the new laughing stock joke of this generation.

Let's face it. Timing is everything. I think in theory such a device could be cool for not only the 360 platform, but for the industry in general. Simply because they could publish on both platforms. But timing is everything and this, if true, probably can't work or succeed. I'd like it to though.

I understand it would just be an accessory and not a replacement for the standard 360 controller, at least for most of the games. I personally would just have no interest in the accessory. Even if they came out with it and said Halo3 would have Metroid Prime 3-like controls using the the 360-mote, I would rather stay with the controller.

Of course, if they came out with a great game that was a blast and used the new controller, I'd probably bite. My problem is that the Wii and it's control scheme hasn't done much for me so far. With a few exceptions (like Wii-Play and Rayman) I'd much rather just have a standard controller. I also always turn off the motion sensitive crap on the PS3. I guess I'm just too old for these new fangled toys. Back in my day I had a rectangle controller with 2 buttons and it worked FINE for me, damnit! :D

Even if they came out with it and said Halo3 would have Metroid Prime 3-like controls using the the 360-mote, I would rather stay with the controller.

And have fun being smoked by me in online gaming! :) The wiimote controls on Metroid were fantastic, and as close to a mouse as I think you could get on a console. I'll take a wiimote for FPS any day. I could run circles around the gamepad people just like I could with a mouse.

That said, I find this whole thing highly unlikely.

And have fun being smoked by me in online gaming! :) The wiimote controls on Metroid were fantastic, and as close to a mouse as I think you could get on a console. I'll take a wiimote for FPS any day. I could run circles around the gamepad people just like I could with a mouse.
Cocky bastard.

That said, I find this whole thing highly unlikely.

:lol If you played first-person shooters with me online before you'll know that I have absolutely NO problem getting smoked by every person in the room. It's something I'm very used to. In fact, it'd be awesome to be able to say "oh... I'm sucking becuase I'm using a controller."

:lol If you played first-person shooters with me online before you'll know that I have absolutely NO problem getting smoked by every person in the room. It's something I'm very used to. In fact, it'd be awesome to be able to say "oh... I'm sucking becuase I'm using a controller."

:lol

No interest, none at all. Waving that thing around is such a pain in the ass.

Let the Wii do it's own thing - which it excels at, and Microsoft should just stick to what it has going right now. A POS hardware box that plays awesome games. ;)

As an aside, my six year old son ignores the Wii. Whenever I ask him to play Wii sports, he'd rather play Hot Shots or 3D Mini-golf. Mario Galaxy? He'd rather play Worms or Motorstorm. If he doesn't take to Mario Cart next week, that system is getting purged from the rack.