LCVG

Ziff Davis Ends Games For Windows/Computer Gaming World Print Magazine

Graeme

Ziff Davis today announced that they are ending the run of Games for Windows Magazine (Formally Computer Gaming World). Last month's issue with Sims 3 on the cover is the final one as the next issue which was complete and in production will not be published.

Instead the entire editorial staff (for now) will be focusing on expanded PC content for the 1UP.com online network.

While I didn't read the magazine much lately as my PC gaming is next to nill, I'm quite saddened by this news as I have read the magazine in the past and respect the guys that work on it currently as I do listen to their podcast religiously and read the articles online.

Instead of pointing to 1UPs news story about this which tries to spin this as something great, I will instead point you all to Jeff Green's blog talking about the closure.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8693249&publicUserId=5380367

I'm honestly going to try and count the days till Jeff Green decides to jump ship. I really hope he doesn't and they all feel working for the online site is worthwhile, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Why not? Is the site doing poorly?

What does this say about "teh PC is doomed" movement? Obviously the print magazine market and newspapers having been dropping in circulation for years because of the internet. But EGM didn't "go exclusively online." Their PC Gaming Mag did that. It is ironic that Microsoft, the owner of the PC Gaming platform, put it on a path to destruction when they started work on the original Xbox. Is this magazine's closing just another symptom of the PC gaming recession? I think it is.

Well, along the same topic, Dan Hsu, former Editor in Chief of EGM and Editorial Director for 1UP has resigned and is leaving Ziff Davis. He has been there for 10 Years and probably does need a bit of a change after that much time, but it's still a bit sad to hear.

Why not? Is the site doing poorly?

I'm sure the site is doing fine. My hunch for that though is just that he's been working on CGW/GFW for over 10 years and other Ziff Magazines before that. He's been an integral part of the magazine for so long, and probably so used to working in print and with a monthly deadline that he might just feel a little lost.

With the ongoing news of Ziff trying to sell off the videogames division, them filing for chapter 11 recently, and now GFW being shutdown, I just won't be surprised if he decides to take this opportunity to try something else.

Man, Luke Smith, John D., and now Dan. Shane and Garnett are the only two personalities I really like at 1up anymore. There are a few people I enjoy reading and listening to. But those five I just listed were the main fun to be had in the 1up podcasts. When top people in an organization jump ship, it is usually a prelude to the whole thing going under. That's what happened at my company. Give it 4 years and the only magazine standing will be Nintendo Power.